MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM

Anecdotal Evidence

Old 05-20-2011 at 12:03 AM   #31
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
We had to read chapters from the one main textbook every week, but we had 3 novels and one political ideology (even though it was small, it was difficult to grasp certain concepts at certain points) on top of that, so we basically had two readings every week. It was pretty intense.
I found the tutorials kind of rough. It was all Humanities students and then me, and they were clearly more insightful than me when it came to the tutorial reading. I jotted down points about what was discussed in the article, and the girl next to me was saying things like "I feel the use of children in the lavour force is representative of the _____________________ _ at the time." To me, the use of children in the labour force was representative of mean, but that's all I had.

I recall being asked a question and answering with "oh dear."

I have a lot of respect for people who see beyond the black and white that I see in those courses.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:10 AM   #32
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post

I have a lot of respect for people who see beyond the black and white that I see in those courses.
It's funny that you mention the black and white comment, because I actually had a conversation similar to this with one of my friends in one of the science programs and he was talking about how he didn't exactly understand the concepts of learning about what people had done and stuff like that, and my response was that we aren't looking for what they did or didn't do, we are looking for why they did that and how we can learn from them, essentially being the "grey" between the black and white. Just as you respect those students though, I equally respect the ones that answer with the black and white (math/science-based courses I would assume) because I certainly would not be able to do what they're doing.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:12 AM   #33
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
Except we are all part of the same community, where as cities are separated. Imagine if Boston and Los Angeles were right next to each other during last year's NBA finals..
Don't LA's two teams play in the same arena? While I don't think we should be promoting any sort of visceral hate or taking demeaning attitudes towards other faculties a bit of good natured joshing (like the sort I enjoy with my Leafs fan friends being a Habs fan) I don't think is harmful at all. I've never particularly minded Kin being referred to gym class in a fun context. IMO we give as good as we get and I'm ok with that. I think the problem is some people don't know when to call it quits and draw the line. I really don't understand why some people have a problem doing that. In fact, at least in Kin, I can't think of anyone who doesn't off the top of my head. For example Kin is rivals with Eng yet I'm friends with a number of Engineers and several kin girls I know are dating Eng guys.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:14 AM   #34
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Don't LA's two teams play in the same arena? While I don't think we should be promoting any sort of visceral hate or taking demeaning attitudes towards other faculties a bit of good natured joshing (like the sort I enjoy with my Leafs fan friends being a Habs fan) I don't think is harmful at all. I've never particularly minded Kin being referred to gym class in a fun context. IMO we give as good as we get and I'm ok with that. I think the problem is some people don't know when to call it quits and draw the line. I really don't understand why some people have a problem doing that. In fact, at least in Kin, I can't think of anyone who doesn't off the top of my head. For example Kin is rivals with Eng yet I'm friends with a number of Engineers and several kin girls I know are dating Eng guys.
Sometimes it can be in good fun, but the reason I started this thread was because I found people personally stereotype and insult people from different faculties on this site, and this way of thinking is also leaking out into campus life. Oh and yeah both LA teams play in the same arena, but if you follow basketball closely they've never had a rivalry, I was talking about a bitter one like the Celtics/Lakers, Red Sox/Yankees, or the Ravens and Steelers.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:15 AM   #35
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
It's funny that you mention the black and white comment, because I actually had a conversation similar to this with one of my friends in one of the science programs and he was talking about how he didn't exactly understand the concepts of learning about what people had done and stuff like that, and my response was that we aren't looking for what they did or didn't do, we are looking for why they did that and how we can learn from them, essentially being the "grey" between the black and white. Just as you respect those students though, I equally respect the ones that answer with the black and white (math/science-based courses I would assume) because I certainly would not be able to do what they're doing.
My roommate was in Engineering and she said "it's all memorization, and that's all you do in science, isn't it?" I went into the course with that mentality, but memorization was maybe a third of the course. I remember being floored by the exam essay questions. I was expecting "recall this" or "explain this." No, it was "analyze" and "evaluate." Let me tell ya', I am not good at analyzing something I've only memorized, haha.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:18 AM   #36
alh24
Elite Member

I find that the insecurity from faculty bashing has me on the defensive all the time. When someone asks what I plan to do with my degree, I automatically take it as "what on Earth will that degree get you?" I didn't even realize I was doing it until I one day asked my Health Science friend what she planned to do if she didn't go to medical school and got a defensive explanation of why her undergraduate degree isn't useless if she doesn't go. I wondered why she reacted like that to an innocent question, but then realized I do the exact same thing. I wasn't criticizing her and was genuinely curious, but I get why it came off that way because she always had people saying that the degree is useless without graduate school.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:18 AM   #37
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Sometimes it can be in good fun, but the reason I started this thread was because I found people personally stereotype and insult people from different faculties on this site, and this way of thinking is also leaking out into campus life.
I've found it mostly limited to a small set of trolls. To be honest I can't remember the last time I heard someone put down another faculty IRL. Faculties seem to be the target du jour. It'll be something else before too long.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:23 AM   #38
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Sometimes it can be in good fun, but the reason I started this thread was because I found people personally stereotype and insult people from different faculties on this site, and this way of thinking is also leaking out into campus life. Oh and yeah both LA teams play in the same arena, but if you follow basketball closely they've never had a rivalry, I was talking about a bitter one like the Celtics/Lakers, Red Sox/Yankees, or the Ravens and Steelers.
Lol that might be because the Clippers are nothing compared to the Lakers.

This kinda relates to why rivalries are great. Not only do they encourage you to perform better and prove yourself but there is always a certain degree of mutual respect in a rivalry.

The Celtics and the Lakers may hate one another but they do so in part because they realize that the other is a great franchise that has proven itself with multiple championships.

Personally I've never seen any faculty-bashing IRL that wouldn't be considered a joke.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 05-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:24 AM   #39
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh and yeah both LA teams play in the same arena, but if you follow basketball closely they've never had a rivalry, I was talking about a bitter one like the Celtics/Lakers, Red Sox/Yankees, or the Ravens and Steelers.
Yeah, I kinda figured. But I can't really say I can think of any rivalry at Mac that is anywhere near that intense.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:26 AM   #40
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

You two are a stones throw away from becoming BFFs
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:28 AM   #41
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda figured. But I can't really say I can think of any rivalry at Mac that is anywhere near that intense.
Spoken like someone who has never walked the narrow halls of Adelle's student house. Oddly enough, my housemates rag on each other about their choice in Engineering program but don't say much to me... Probably left till I'm not there, haha.

I've come to understand that "Civil is the Humanities of Engineering," apparently.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:29 AM   #42
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I find that the insecurity from faculty bashing has me on the defensive all the time. When someone asks what I plan to do with my degree, I automatically take it as "what on Earth will that degree get you?" I didn't even realize I was doing it until I one day asked my Health Science friend what she planned to do if she didn't go to medical school and got a defensive explanation of why her undergraduate degree isn't useless if she doesn't go. I wondered why she reacted like that to an innocent question, but then realized I do the exact same thing. I wasn't criticizing her and was genuinely curious, but I get why it came off that way because she always had people saying that the degree is useless without graduate school.
I think that's almost a more cultural thing. I've heard so many adults put down arts degrees while not realizing the job prospects with a BSc. aren't really any better than with a BA. A big part of the problem in my opinion is that most people have no clue what the jobs available in their field are let alone those in others.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:32 AM   #43
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
I think that's almost a more cultural thing. I've heard so many adults put down arts degrees while not realizing the job prospects with a BSc. aren't really any better than with a BA. A big part of the problem in my opinion is that most people have no clue what the jobs available in their field are let alone those in others.
Exactly. People seem to stick to one job per faculty (Teaching for Humanities, Doctor for Health Sci., etc.) and don't realize that there are more jobs available out there. For instance, my brother is working in commercial Real Estate even though he graduated with a degree in History.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:36 AM   #44
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

My fave example is my sister who has a degree and masters in Biology and genetics or something from McGill and worls as an IT consultant. Not even related...

Old 05-20-2011 at 12:37 AM   #45
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

In the words of the great 50 Cent: "If ****** hate then let 'em hate. Watch the money pile up."

alh24, Tailsnake like this.