MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM

Anecdotal Evidence

Old 05-20-2011 at 12:38 PM   #61
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
The majority of math that research mathematicians do is actually quite philosophical. It either involves thinking (non-rigorously, metaphysically) about what model would fit a particular scientific system or in finding novel means of approaching mathematical problems that can be considered 'legitimate' (i.e. philosophically acceptable) to the community.

Oh duh, I feel stupid now lol. Math next to philosophy actually makes a lot more sense.
Old 05-20-2011 at 12:39 PM   #62
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Actually, I think that math can be split up into two main components, neither of which are scientific. One component would probably work best in engineering, and the other would work best in humanities. Math doesn't employ the inductive method (we have induction, but it's really a form of deduction) or anything that's characteristically scientific.

The stuff that would go into engineering would be the sort of math that mathematicians actually don't do, but most non-math majors think that they do (basically, applying known techniques cleverly to solve equations and so on). The majority of math that research mathematicians do is actually quite philosophical. It either involves thinking (non-rigorously, metaphysically) about what model would fit a particular scientific system or in finding novel means of approaching mathematical problems that can be considered 'legitimate' (i.e. philosophically acceptable) to the community.

Now, scientists also do this sort of metaphysics, but it deals with observation. That's what distinguishes science from mathematics (of course, math, like every other subject, can be traced way, way back to observation, but that's besides the point).

Woah, you're not Asian?

Kidding, and there aren't really very many Asians in the program (in my year at least).
Wow, I just understood another one of your posts.

I feel like you should have an Adelle version at the end of your posts where you use the least mathematical, most simplistic terms to explain your posts. Half of the time you're arguing with someone (I use that example because that seems to be when your posts are over my head), I just blindly assume I'd agree with you if I understood. Math-speak makes me head for the hills.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-20-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 05-20-2011 at 01:06 PM   #63
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN1991 View Post
Really? I'd still consider it a science, and it's definitely not a social science.

I dated a guy that was in Life Sciences at UofT when I was still in high school, and he genuinely thought that I was less-inferior to him -intelligence wise-
less-inferior = superior as in he thought you were better than him. I think you meant just inferior.
Old 05-20-2011 at 01:08 PM   #64
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Wow, I just understood another one of your posts.

I feel like you should have an Adelle version at the end of your posts where you use the least mathematical, most simplistic terms to explain your posts. Half of the time you're arguing with someone (I use that example because that seems to be when your posts are over my head), I just blindly assume I'd agree with you if I understood. Math-speak makes me head for the hills.
Hahah, I try to type up posts that are easy to read, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way ):. I've found that expressing simple points precisely is actually pretty hard - math tends to make a person pretty pedantic (alliteration, ha!)

EDIT: if by 'Adelle version' you mean 'easier to understand but not quite as clear version', then most of my posts can be taken to mean "I'm hungry". I usually am.

Last edited by Mahratta : 05-20-2011 at 01:12 PM.

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-20-2011 at 01:25 PM   #65
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
less-inferior = superior as in he thought you were better than him. I think you meant just inferior.
Yeah I meant to say less-intelligent .. and then said "less-inferior -intelligence wise-" and didn't pick up on what I said. But thank you.
Old 05-20-2011 at 01:36 PM   #66
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Hahah, I try to type up posts that are easy to read, unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way ):. I've found that expressing simple points precisely is actually pretty hard - math tends to make a person pretty pedantic (alliteration, ha!)

EDIT: if by 'Adelle version' you mean 'easier to understand but not quite as clear version', then most of my posts can be taken to mean "I'm hungry". I usually am.
It's safe to assume I mean that. Generally, I think "I usually agree with him, so I'll assume this is no different."

Don't be surprised when I actually do ask for an Adelle version of something in the future.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 05:12 PM   #67
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

I like to think that I am partly responsible for threads like these. divide and conquer.