MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anime North 2012 Car Pooling/Bus? anon491 Anime & Comic Books 0 12-03-2011 11:49 PM
Anime North 2011 Entropy General Discussion 13 05-28-2011 10:06 PM
What Anime Next? mattatmac Anime & Comic Books 25 12-23-2010 10:08 PM
Where's the Anime/Manga club? RoyK Anime & Comic Books 5 09-28-2008 11:42 PM

Anime North 2012

Old 05-16-2012 at 04:13 PM   #1
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Anime North 2012
It's that time again!

Any other weaboos otakus going? Panelling? I'm doing a few panels, everyone should watch me embarrass myself at the Final Fantasy panel (Friday at 1700 in the Niagara room at the Sheraton) and Video Game Soundtracks panel (Sunday at 1200 in the Ottawa room at the Doubletree).

Otherwise I'll probably be either wandering the con taking pictures of/with strangers or hanging out in the Sheraton gaming room.

At least two other MI members are going, so I'm down for an MI AN Meetup if anyone feels like getting lunch or something sometime.

Edit: Also, is anyone driving? A friend and I'd be willing to pay for a ride from Hamilton...!

Last edited by Entropy : 05-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2012 at 05:36 PM   #2
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

I'm going! But I'm prob just gonna buy as much manga as I can and take pictures.

Old 05-16-2012 at 09:34 PM   #3
Chimmy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

This will be my 8th year going! I'll be Cosplaying Kagura from Inuyasha Friday and Saturday and (female) Bro Strider from Homestuck on Sunday. See if you can spot me!

ChatBot, Lorella like this.
Old 05-16-2012 at 10:02 PM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

this is my third time going with my friends from highschool. I wish i was cosplaying but im not really that good at making costumes...
Old 05-16-2012 at 10:38 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

going with akikokoyoki ^ and another friend. fourth year going so it's become quite an addiction D:
sadly we couldn't find a drive either :I so we're go bussing.

my other friend is crossplaying as imca from valkyria chronicles, so if you see an imca with an epic weapon, that's him xD

last year I saw a redsuit LOOOL. mcmaster represeeeeent.
Old 05-17-2012 at 12:10 AM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy View Post
This will be my 8th year going! I'll be Cosplaying Kagura from Inuyasha Friday and Saturday and (female) Bro Strider from Homestuck on Sunday. See if you can spot me!
Madame co-president? Is it cheating if I just look for Fushi and find you through her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
going with akikokoyoki ^ and another friend. fourth year going so it's become quite an addiction D:
sadly we couldn't find a drive either :I so we're go bussing.

my other friend is crossplaying as imca from valkyria chronicles, so if you see an imca with an epic weapon, that's him xD

last year I saw a redsuit LOOOL. mcmaster represeeeeent.
This is nuts, I've seen pics on my FB recently of a badass weapon and lo and behold, it's the same person and weapon cosplaying the same character. It's 'cause his sister and I were in the same year at Westmount. =p

I'll keep an eye out for the both of you. :)

I'll be one of the legions of Squalls though, and if all goes according to plan I'll be with a Red variant.

Last edited by Entropy : 05-17-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2012 at 01:14 AM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

This is nuts, I've seen pics on my FB recently of a badass weapon and lo and behold, it's the same person and weapon cosplaying the same character. It's 'cause his sister and I were in the same year at Westmount. =p

I'll keep an eye out for the both of you.

I'll be one of the legions of Squalls though, and if all goes according to plan I'll be with a Red variant.
whoa. small world LOL.
I think he's going with other friends though so we likely won't be around him. I expect him to be caught up in spontaneous photoshoots all day too, what with that weapon loool.
Old 05-17-2012 at 06:18 AM   #8
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Ent, we're gonna tear shit up. They're not ready for this.

Entropy, Grover like this.
Old 05-17-2012 at 08:46 PM   #9
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

I'm not going, although I was told multiple times to by multiple people. My friends (not on MI) are cosplaying as characters from Fuccons, it's a YouTube thing. Look it up, it's quite strange lol

Desda likes this.
Old 05-23-2012 at 04:17 PM   #10
NatalyaOtaku

Liked: 5 Times

I'm going! Kakashi Hatake snj all three days
(Im too poor to make more than one costume this year T___T) lol seventh year going!

Entropy likes this.
Old 05-25-2012 at 01:37 AM   #11
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

It's today!

I'll see you kids there!

kaitotst likes this.
Old 05-28-2012 at 11:10 PM   #12
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Despite the awful heat, this year's con was pretty successful. I managed to avoid spending all my time in the Sheraton's Ambrosia room, where I'd spent the last two years playing Magic, and ended up taking a couple hundred pictures of costumes and stuff as a result.

The panels I hosted/attended were all flawed in some way, but at the very least entertaining.

Managed to encounter a lot of people I knew, whether by coincidence or planning and it was nice to catch up with them and stuff.

The hotel I stayed in was reasonably close to the con, a hell of a lot better than the 30-minutes-away Holiday Inn in 2010, or the 10-minutes-away Sheraton. Not staying at the Sheraton probably helped my staying away from Ambrosia too. My roommates were cool for the most part.

The photoshoots were all successful. Despite making slight improvements to my cosplay each year, I learned/realized that having the proper hairstyle and/or weapon is crucial, so I'll try to get at least one of the two next time 'round.

We ended up having a mini-MI Dinner Meetup too, but I'd have to recommend against going to St. Louis'. I'm still waiting for my beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy View Post
I think I spotted you. What do I win? =o

Unfortunately, I didn't see Inca/my friend's brother/that weapon. I kept an eye out for it too. :(
Old 05-29-2012 at 12:07 AM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

It was ridiculously hot. We walked from the marriott to the congress centre when we first got off the bus, and then we had to wait an hour and a half to get in, even though we were already pre-registered. It was ridiculous.
I didn't go to any panels this year, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the lack of variety in the dealer's room in terms of anime merch. For things like keychains/necklaces etc. it was all the same old series. The artists alley was much the same in that everyone did korra/sherlocke/supernatural/hetalia, etc. And there were less artists that I recognized this year than usual. We were so exhausted from the heat and the trip that by 1pm we just wanted to lie down somewhere LOOOL. We didn't get many pictures as a result. left at 6-ish. Overall it wasn't as great as previous years, but maybe that's because we were tired. And I can't help but feel that there were less cosplayers and more people with cameras this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't see Inca/my friend's brother/that weapon. I kept an eye out for it too. :(
His cosplay turned out pretty nicely.
Idk if this link will work cause it's off my facebook.
Old 05-29-2012 at 08:07 AM   #14
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

@ooburii
Its because every single person in that line was already pre-registered for the 3 DAY WEEKEND pass. I had to wait 2 hours in line for my weekend pass. It would have been a 3 hour wait if the line didn't get 'smaller' quickly. I left my DS at home, which made the wait even more dreadful. They have a 1500 people cap for those coming for only Sat or Sun. but it was $40(same price for those with a weekend pass.) I bet Thurs are going to be hell next year since most people will try to pick up their past early.
Old 05-29-2012 at 08:30 AM   #15
anon491
Professional Fangirl

^ I think most people who got the weekend pass came to pick it up on Friday, because according to my friend the wait times were around 3 hrs on that day. I can understand that everyone who usually bought saturday admission at the door pre-reg'd this year and thus the longer line... But really, AN admins should've handled it better. Scanning barcodes and handing out blank passes isn't that time consuming.

lgdynasty likes this.