MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BHSc 10th Year Anniversary àlacarte MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-19-2010 09:30 PM
Some Dating Ideas… lorend Misc 4 09-30-2007 04:42 PM

Anniversary ideas

Old 08-12-2009 at 09:12 PM   #1
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Anniversary ideas
How do you usually celebrate anniversaries with your s/o?
Old 08-12-2009 at 09:28 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hmm... My bf and I went to the Toronto Islands last year for our anniversary, just walked around, spent time with each other, took lots of pictures, ate at the restaurants and talked about things. A few years ago, he showed up at my summer school afterschool with roses, and it was in front of everyone too coming out so I was a little embarrassed but really happy, we went to a nearby cafe and gave eachother gifts.

I don't think it's necessary to do huge things for your anniversary, just spending time with eachother and cherishing eachother. Although, I do want to go to Montreal next year. :]
Old 08-13-2009 at 04:50 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Last year my partner stayed the night in Niagara Falls. We took a lot of photos of the falls and area, then went to a few of gardens near by and took some pictures, and then went to the butterfly conservatory and took more.

We're amateur photographers. For us, everything involves taking pictures.

We typically don't do anything for "smaller" (i.e. the individual monthly ones) dates. We've only really celebrated/recognized in six month increments.

------------
Are you looking for ideas, or just asking? I have a bunch for Hamilton/the GTA, but I won't be able to use them. My boyfriend is doing a post-grad degree out west so celebrations may have to change slightly this year. :(

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-13-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 05:46 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

*shrug* Stay home and watch TV? Perhaps go out to dinner...

I'm a hobo with no disposable income, so my ideas are limited.
Old 08-13-2009 at 05:58 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'm a hobo with no disposable income, so my ideas are limited.
*sigh*

There are tons of things you can do with little-to-no cost.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-13-2009 at 06:01 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

You shouldn't take my responses seriously, I'm not actually a hobo with a computer and working internet connection.

Besides, I don't need a specific day to get off my ass and do something nice for my 'spousal support unit" (or SSU for short). I try my best to make my SSU feel special on a daily basis (or as close as I can get).

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-13-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:46 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
You shouldn't take my responses seriously, I'm not actually a hobo with a computer and working internet connection.

Besides, I don't need a specific day to get off my ass and do something nice for my 'spousal support unit" (or SSU for short). I try my best to make my SSU feel special on a daily basis (or as close as I can get).
But...I thought you were a hobo!

And yes, you're right. Doing something nice only because it's an anniversary (or Valentines Day/other holidays) is kinda lame.

Old 08-13-2009 at 08:43 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yeah, that's why I don't like holidays, it's like you have to do something that is more special than what you've been doing all year. I imagine it'll be easier to do this when we're not poor students haha.
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:16 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I imagine it'll be easier to do this when we're not poor students haha.
lol see Danielle? :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
But...I thought you were a hobo!
We prefer the term "Small Wallet People."

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-13-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Quote disappeared for some reason
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:18 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yeah, try coin purse - one that doesn't 'ching'.
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:57 PM   #11
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Mmm yeah it was 5 y ears for me and a boyfriend last Friday,

We usually do something different every weekend, a lot of travelling... we go to Niagara every month and Montreal a lot, even new york and LA on long weekends... so it's really hard to find something REALLY cool to do..
So I just made him a cheesecake and got him a painting at an auction.
He took me to a restaurant that had my favorite German wine by the glass instead of bottle like every other place..and it had my favorite dishes like mussels other seafood..
Then just went for a walk on the beach and he got me a little gift from swarovski crystals.... it was a cute and relaxing day, not too crazy. I guess that's what anniversaries are, just enjoying each others' company.

What other ideas did you have ?
I'm curious because I'm totally running out of things to do this week..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Last year my partner stayed the night in Niagara Falls. We took a lot of photos of the falls and area, then went to a few of gardens near by and took some pictures, and then went to the butterfly conservatory and took more.

We're amateur photographers. For us, everything involves taking pictures.

We typically don't do anything for "smaller" (i.e. the individual monthly ones) dates. We've only really celebrated/recognized in six month increments.

------------
Are you looking for ideas, or just asking? I have a bunch for Hamilton/the GTA, but I won't be able to use them. My boyfriend is doing a post-grad degree out west so celebrations may have to change slightly this year. :(
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:12 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you're not limited financially you have a lot more options than other people do. Potentially you could go out West to BC or AB as there is a lot of gorgeous scenery there. Or go to some of the US states that joined the US earlier than the rest (i.e. the 13 on the original flag). They'd have a bunch of stuff to see/do.

There is a lot to do in Ontario though. Wine tour in Niagara? Northern Ontario has a lot of cool stuff in the teeny tiny little towns. And once you start getting to the end of September you could always do fall drives in the country...

Travel Ontario has a lot of different resources and can send you out with ideas and stuff.

It all depends on what you're both interested in doing/seeing as to what you may like to do.

Old 08-18-2009 at 01:24 PM   #13
Katia
Account Disabled by User

OH thats a cool site!
I always wanted to go to Vancouver, but flights are so damn expensive , its the same as catching a flight to Europe sometimes!

We are very different so it's hard to do some things together, for example, I am also into photography, and sometimes I like going on hikes and taking photos of scenery and landscapes, but he'd rather go play golf!
also, which wine tours have you done? I went on a few with a girlfriend , but they were a bit limited in their wine varieties, and kinda cheap- 10 bucks? Is that the average price or there are some bigger ones?
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:55 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
OH thats a cool site!
I always wanted to go to Vancouver, but flights are so damn expensive , its the same as catching a flight to Europe sometimes!

We are very different so it's hard to do some things together, for example, I am also into photography, and sometimes I like going on hikes and taking photos of scenery and landscapes, but he'd rather go play golf!
also, which wine tours have you done? I went on a few with a girlfriend , but they were a bit limited in their wine varieties, and kinda cheap- 10 bucks? Is that the average price or there are some bigger ones?
Kill two birds with one stone and take him out to a really expensive golf course and play with him. Bring your camera too because golf courses CAN be quite scenic. He gets his golf, you get your pictures.

And personally, I think the idea of anniversaries is... trivial. Why do you need an excuse to do something nice for someone, ya know? =] But if my s/o really wanted to do something for/with me, I'm a simple gal - just take me to East Side Marios. Haha. Or the Spaghetti Factory.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-18-2009 at 01:59 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
OH thats a cool site!

I actually haven't done any wine tours...I don't really drink. There are tons you can do and I'm sure for upwards of $100 if you go to the really expensive vineyards.

As for the site...yup! The other provinces have similar ones. So you could get info from the Quebec site for example and then see some sites you haven't before.

And yeah, trips out west can be expensive. Flying during the week is obviously a lot cheaper, as are early flights and really late ones. Sometimes WestJet has percentage off sales and stuff too.