Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 88%
Anthropology 2VV3

I took 2VV3 (Maya before Columbus) with Dr. Finsten in the Winter 2011 term. I found the course content interesting and course load very manageable. As far as electives go, this was one of my more interesting ones. I definitely recommend it: its an interesting topic, I learn't a lot, and its not very hard.

Teaching Style
I didn't enjoy Dr. Finsten's teaching style; she can be a little mono-tone and goes off on tangents that never made sense to me. She had powerpoint slides with long text bullet points that she basically reiterated. Her slides weren't well organized and I sometimes got confused with her headings and sections.

That being said the tests were still very doable as long as you went to class, copied her powerpoint slides (she doesn't post them) and studied before the test. For both classes, she gave us a study guide - basically a list of questions. These questions would appear word for word on the tests and exams. This is what I liked best about the course, if you are able to answer the questions in the study guide, you'll do well on the tests.

Course Delivery
The content of this course is basically delivered through lectures, the text book and two or three papers. The text book used in my year was by Demarest, but I see its changed for this year. Hopefully for the better. I found the textbook a dull read.

Testing

Format: The tests consisted of definitions, short answer and long answer questions. Most if not all definitions or questions were taken word for word from the study guide Dr. Finsten provided. Usually you have a choice between two or three questions in the tests and exam, another thing I liked about her testing style.

Content: The questions were mostly broad in nature, but definitions were more specific. She focused on major themes. Lecture material as well as readings were tested. I tried to avoid questions based on the readings, they were generally more complex. Also, not being a humanities student, I never had a good understanding of the articles; so that made those questions harder for me.

Best way to study: do her study guide!! When studying for her test/exam all I did was answer all the questions on the study guide and memorized them or made sure I was able to answer them if it showed up on the test. I don't remember getting any questions that weren't on her study guide in some form. The only exception was on the exam - there was a long answer question based on the readings, so it's probably a good idea to go over the readings before (mainly the articles not the textbook). Use the textbook to add more to your answers than what she said in lecture (more examples or more detail than lecture to answer questions).

I took this course to improve my GPA, and I did well. As long as you put the work into it. Again, I can't stress the importance of the study guides enough, it was basically like getting the questions before writing the test.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthropology 2VV3!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search