MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Science / Humanities Electives dilemma15 Academics 1 12-28-2011 03:01 PM
Humanities/Social Science elective? xxorianna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-24-2011 03:37 PM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM

Any great, light work social science/humanities electives?

Old 06-04-2013 at 03:16 PM   #1
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Any great, light work social science/humanities electives?
Hey guys!

First, I want to ask if you have suggestions for a social science course (please put the course code and the title) that is interesting and related to health-related or has some close affinity to biology in terms of content?

Second, How do you think about these Humanities courses listed below. Is it easy, hard, confusing, light or heavy?
PHILOSOPHY 2B03
PHILOSOPHY 2D03
HUMANITIES 2C03
HISTORY 3S03
LINGUISTICS 1A03, 1AA3, and 2FL3

Please let me know and will be greatly appreciate your input. Thanks
Old 06-04-2013 at 03:27 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

ANTHROP 1AA3 Sex, Food, and Death was interesting, had a lot of biology and one six page paper that you handed in twice (once after editing). Dr. Slonim is a biocultural anthropologist so her classes were heavy on the biology aspect.

LINGUISTICS 1A03 is an easy 12 as long as you attend lecture/tutorial. Involved in-tutorial quizzes every three weeks or so, 10% of the final grade is for using iClicker in lecture (doesn't matter if you get the questions wrong) and another 10% is weekly homework (again doesn't have to be correct, just done).

keiser=) says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-04-2013 at 03:43 PM   #3
xxorianna

Liked: 5 Times

LINGUIST 2FL3 is a good course. Some people may find the content boring, as it deals with the legal aspects of linguistics. We covered topics like authorship authentication (which is like determining if some text is written by a specific person) and language used in courtrooms. It would be beneficial if you have the 1A03 and/or 1AA3 credit beforehand, as it would be easier to grasp the concepts. You don't need to have prior knowledge of courtroom terms, but it would be helpful.
I took HUMANITIES 2C03 but dropped it because I found it way too boring. It was all just basic common sense stuff.

keiser=) says thanks to xxorianna for this post.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-04-2013 at 04:08 PM   #4
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

while we're on the topic of second year electives, I have to choose between theatre and film 2t03 and classics 2d03..any suggestions on taking/staying away from either one?
also.. would classics 2d03 have pretty much the same readings as classics 1b03 (Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid)?

Last edited by SweetyTweety : 06-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2013 at 04:48 PM   #5
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

for a health related course, i loved anthropology 2u03 - plagues and people. you basically focused on a different plague every week, it was super interesting
heres the past outline if you want more info! http://www.anthropology.mcma ster.c... er%202013.pdf

keiser=) says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-04-2013 at 06:19 PM   #6
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Econ 1bb3 (Macro) is definitely an easy 11-12. I know it's not on your list, but I'd have to say that the course is even easier than Econ 1B03 with Holmes.
Old 06-04-2013 at 06:38 PM   #7
keiser=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
Econ 1bb3 (Macro) is definitely an easy 11-12. I know it's not on your list, but I'd have to say that the course is even easier than Econ 1B03 with Holmes.
yes, thats not in my list (because i've taken it and one of the courses that i have highest marks on) but thank you though
Old 06-04-2013 at 06:42 PM   #8
keiser=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
ANTHROP 1AA3 Sex, Food, and Death was interesting, had a lot of biology and one six page paper that you handed in twice (once after editing). Dr. Slonim is a biocultural anthropologist so her classes were heavy on the biology aspect.

LINGUISTICS 1A03 is an easy 12 as long as you attend lecture/tutorial. Involved in-tutorial quizzes every three weeks or so, 10% of the final grade is for using iClicker in lecture (doesn't matter if you get the questions wrong) and another 10% is weekly homework (again doesn't have to be correct, just done).
what were the topics that you've learn in 1AA3 class? assignments you work in that class?
Old 06-05-2013 at 07:05 AM   #9
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

The class covered the cultural aspects of sex/sexuality/gender, food and how we evolved to eat different things throughout history and in different parts of the world, how we deal with death and dying, and human/hominid evolution. The grade is based on a midterm and final + an essay that you hand in a second time after making changes suggested by your TA (never actually attend tutorial, lectures were never more than two hours long).

keiser=) says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-15-2013 at 10:58 PM   #10
keiser=)

So I will stick to Anthropology 1AA3 as my socsci elective. Do you guys any of Humanities course that has no inclass essay test or final exam composed of long essay questions. Because I prefer doing a humanities course that has essays that is done outside of the class and multiple choice/short answer final exam. Please let me know and thanks!
Old 06-15-2013 at 11:12 PM   #11
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

About history 3S03, I haven't taken it but I'm pretty sure that Dr. Horn is teaching it. He is an amazing professor and definitely not one you want to miss out on if you're a history major at Mac. However, you need to be prepared to work HARD in his classes. He gives long assignments that require a lot of research, so don't think that this class is going to be an easy 12. However, he is an amazing lecturer and a charismatic man. Don't be fooled by his sometimes intimidating presence.

keiser=) says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-16-2013 at 09:39 AM   #12
keiser=)

^^ I will try to look up for that once SOLAR open somewhere around early july.

If you guys have taken humanities course that has no in-class (midterm or final) essay exam, let me know. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2013 at 10:18 AM   #13
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiser=) View Post
^^ I will try to look up for that once SOLAR open somewhere around early july.

If you guys have taken humanities course that has no in-class (midterm or final) essay exam, let me know. Thanks!
History 2HI3 and 3HI3. Those are both mandatory classes for history students, so I'm not 100% sure that they're open to non-history majors (although I think they are). 2HI3 has five assignments throughout the year, so it's still a lot of work. 3HI3 is 2 historiography essays (the last is 12 pages long) and the participation grade is worth something like 25-30%. I actually think I'd rather have an exam that only takes 3 hours than an essay that will take you potentially days to finish, but that's just me.

keiser=) likes this.
Old 06-16-2013 at 11:38 AM   #14
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Humanities 2C03 has multiple choice midterm and final, and writing assignments. I believe philosophy 1B03 is similar. Linguistics has no essays, just homework/participation and tests, music 2II3 and 2F03 are considered humanities and have only multiple choice tests. Maybe multimedia if you don't want essays?

keiser=) says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 06-18-2013 at 09:33 PM   #15
keiser=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Humanities 2C03 has multiple choice midterm and final, and writing assignments. I believe philosophy 1B03 is similar. Linguistics has no essays, just homework/participation and tests, music 2II3 and 2F03 are considered humanities and have only multiple choice tests. Maybe multimedia if you don't want essays?
I want to write essays but its more like report form, more descriptive, persuasive or argumentative something that I can have a proofs on or backup reality nonfiction data...That being said, I will try to look upon Humanities 2C03 because when I read the past course outlines, it indicates it can help me to improve my writing skills. Linguistics, that will be my second choice.