MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Oct 30 : One and One Story Chad Daily Game 0 10-30-2011 04:09 AM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
The Epic 3-Word Story Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-15-2009 06:50 PM

Anyone else following this news story?

Old 12-05-2011 at 10:10 PM   #1
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Anyone else following this news story?
http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/new...rticle2260536/

Been following this story from a while... very upsetting :(
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:29 PM   #2
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples12 View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/new...rticle2260536/

Been following this story from a while... very upsetting :(

I haven't been following but I did hear about this a while back.
It's very sad that this happened.
What I don't understand though, is why they killed all 4. From what I gather from the article, the two eldest daughters were the ones causing trouble apparently. Why kill the younger one and the mother too?
Not that killing is okay, but it's just confusing to me.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:52 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

http://fullcomment.nationalp ost.co...a-trial-hears/

Pretty great explanation of the logic/cultural views behind the killings. It's such an interestingly warped view of the world.

AmyLia says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 12-06-2011 at 12:19 AM   #4
AmyLia

Ok, so, many articles later, I've still got one question.
Is the wearing of the hijab something the girl/woman chooses to wear or is it mandatory in their culture?
One of the articles stated that the girls' refusal to wear it was part of the reason the father was so angry with them.
And on another note, what is the purpose of the hijab? Like why is it important to the culture that it is worn?
Old 12-06-2011 at 12:25 AM   #5
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
Is the wearing of the hijab something the girl/woman chooses to wear or is it mandatory in their culture?
One of the articles stated that the girls' refusal to wear it was part of the reason the father was so angry with them.
And on another note, what is the purpose of the hijab? Like why is it important to the culture that it is worn?
Are you serious? Don't your questions answer them self?

If it wasn't mandatory for the girl to wear, how could she "refuse" to wear it?
I believe the Quran states that woman should dress "appropriately" it does not specifically say to wear "hijab" or "burka".

That's what I heard anyways.
Old 12-06-2011 at 12:32 AM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
The hijab and Burqa were things picked up by Islam from the people in the regions it expanded to and then later interpreted based on the wording of the Quran (Sort of like Christmas and Christians). In the cultures where they're worn, they're required, and are considered part of a woman dressing modestly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab
Old 12-06-2011 at 12:43 AM   #7
AmyLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Are you serious? Don't your questions answer them self?

If it wasn't mandatory for the girl to wear, how could she "refuse" to wear it?
I believe the Quran states that woman should dress "appropriately" it does not specifically say to wear "hijab" or "burka".

That's what I heard anyways.

I only ask because I've heard opposing views on this.
I've obviously googled the subject, but all I've found are different interpretations of what the Qur'an says. I've actually read the Qur'an (the English version) and I didn't find mention of particular clothing in there anywhere - for men or women.

One of the more prevalent explanations I seem to find on the internet is that the purpose of the hijab is to cover women from men's eyes and I don't fully understand why this is the case.
I'm just curious for an explanation of the cultural logic behind it.
Old 12-06-2011 at 12:47 AM   #8
AmyLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
http://fullcomment.nationalp ost.co...a-trial-hears/

Pretty great explanation of the logic/cultural views behind the killings. It's such an interestingly warped view of the world.
It may seem warped in 21st century North America but it has actually been practiced in many cultures throughout the history of the world. It wasn't so "official" or even obvious in other places at the times that it was practiced but women (and sometimes men too) were killed for dishonouring their families in various ways.
Not to say that this makes it okay, just pointing that out.
Old 12-06-2011 at 01:15 AM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Wow, in Canada?

I hope these idiots are laid some some real heavy punishments. People who can't control their rage should never be allowed to have an excuse.
Old 12-06-2011 at 08:44 AM   #10
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I hope these people die in jail.
Old 12-06-2011 at 09:28 AM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

umm a thought just occured to me, there are 2 men and 1 women under trial, ive seen that women without a hijab or a burqa in the articles, so whats up with this? why would they kill their daughters over such a thing when their mother doesn't even wear one?
Old 12-06-2011 at 10:19 AM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
umm a thought just occured to me, there are 2 men and 1 women under trial, ive seen that women without a hijab or a burqa in the articles, so whats up with this? why would they kill their daughters over such a thing when their mother doesn't even wear one?
I would think the reasoning behind the father's desire for their daughters to wear hijabs would be to cover up their physical attractiveness which would lead them away from the attraction of boys etc... because they're pretty cute

edit: they were :(
Old 12-06-2011 at 10:37 AM   #13
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I would think the reasoning behind the father's desire for their daughters to wear hijabs would be to cover up their physical attractiveness which would lead them away from the attraction of boys etc... because they're pretty cute

edit: they were :(
I don't see pics of the girls.
Old 12-06-2011 at 12:39 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Wow, in Canada?

I hope these idiots are laid some some real heavy punishments. People who can't control their rage should never be allowed to have an excuse.
What do you mean by ", in Canada?" That sort of behavior shouldn't be tolerated anywhere in the world.

Faer, waldo92 like this.