MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Oct 30 : One and One Story Chad Daily Game 0 10-30-2011 04:09 AM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
The Epic 3-Word Story Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-15-2009 06:50 PM

Anyone else following this news story?

Old 12-06-2011 at 02:20 PM   #16
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
I only ask because I've heard opposing views on this.
I've obviously googled the subject, but all I've found are different interpretations of what the Qur'an says. I've actually read the Qur'an (the English version) and I didn't find mention of particular clothing in there anywhere - for men or women.

One of the more prevalent explanations I seem to find on the internet is that the purpose of the hijab is to cover women from men's eyes and I don't fully understand why this is the case.
I'm just curious for an explanation of the cultural logic behind it.
That's basically right. The hijab is worn as a sign of modesty.

When I was younger, my teacher gave our class this example about the reason women wear hijab: She said that if you have a diamond sitting on the street, everyone will turn to look at it. However, if you cover that diamond with a tissue or a cloth, no one will blink twice at it. That's the same reason women cover up.

Also, you're right, the Qur'an doesn't have it explicitly mentioned. Muslims also base their interpretations on the sayings of Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

I hope that helps?
Old 12-06-2011 at 03:22 PM   #17
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

I am a Muslim and **** everything about this. This is not religion. This is not life. How could anyone bring themselves to kill their own children, regardless of culture and mindset? It's ****ing disgusting.

apples12 likes this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 03:54 PM   #18
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

^I never understood that either. :/