MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio lab book rkb12 Academics 15 08-30-2011 09:27 PM
text book Sean First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-16-2009 06:38 PM
MSU Used Book Store Chad MSU & On-Campus Services 5 09-10-2007 06:48 PM

Anyone Know Anything About Publishing a Book?

Old 06-23-2012 at 04:06 PM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Anyone Know Anything About Publishing a Book?
As the question says...thought I'd try - never know...and a lot of people seem to be publishing these days...
I do know it's INSANELY difficult...tried once and gave up after ~ 50 rejections...:wavespi n:
Old 06-23-2012 at 04:14 PM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Publishing what sort of book?

I suppose the short answer to your question would be, yes, kinda sorta.
Old 06-23-2012 at 04:17 PM   #3
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Creative fiction...fantasy, magic-ky, sci-fi mixture...along the young adult market line, nothing too major.
Wish it were something a little more professional...Analys is and Future Implications of J.H.Levine's Theory of Mathematical Induction...but, sadly, that's not my cup of tea...
Old 06-23-2012 at 04:20 PM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

ROFL NO, knowledge of publishing would depend on what type you were referring to. xD Lucky for you, that's exactly the sort of stuff I usually look into. Not much, though, but as far as I've gathered (and assuming you're talking about traditional pub and not self-pubbing), an agent's the best way to go.

What are you wanting to know, anyway, haha?
Old 06-23-2012 at 04:25 PM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Creative fiction...fantasy, magic-ky, sci-fi mixture...along the young adult market line, nothing too major.
Wish it were something a little more professional...Analys is and Future Implications of J.H.Levine's Theory of Mathematical Induction...but, sadly, that's not my cup of tea...
Why don't ya start of small and publish a few ebooks through the iBooks store or the amazon store?

You can put it up on the stores and then its up to you to do the advertising. This would be a great way to rap up some traction and get started. Who knows maybe your books will catch someones eye and be the next big thing
Old 06-23-2012 at 04:27 PM   #6
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Tried ebooks and sold zero, so I took it off...wasn't very good, anyway.
Just some general tips were what I was looking for...particularly how to get an agent interested in your work...
Old 06-24-2012 at 02:37 AM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Well, the first thing to do would be to polish up your work until you couldn't make it any better, give it out to people to read and revise it again based on feedback.

After that, I suppose you'd just start querying agents. There's a specific way you have to write your query later. The most important part of which is, it should have NO typos or no weak links, not on the first read-through anyway, 'cause then the agent will just slush it.

There are many good websites/blogs that give you tips on how to write a query letter. This post is my favourite one, though it's old: http://blog.nathanbransford. com/20...r-mad-lib.html

Here are a few more:

http://www.agentquery.com/writer_hq.aspx
http://queryshark.blogspot.c om/

Research the market. What do agents, or, for that matter, publishing houses look for? (Some do accept unsolicited manuscripts). There are competitions where you can submit your novel and land a publishing deal, and they don't cost a thing. Look out for those! (The biggest example being Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award Contest, it happens every January).

And the best thing, of course, is to write, re-write, edit, re-write, cut, cut, cut. You want your novel to be the tightest and best it can be.

~this is all for the traditional publishing route. Can't help much with self-publishing, except for saying that it requires investment of money~

Zebedee says thanks to Faer for this post.

anon491, Watoko, Zebedee like this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 05:48 AM   #8
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Might I chip in and remind you lot about the Nano club (ratified yet)?

I thought it relevant.
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:29 AM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

^I suppose anything of relevance from that would be from the NaNoWriMo website.

This link is from the forums, and you can explore it and check it out: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/n...raft-aftercare

They also have a place where you can ask people to critique your novel, if you so wish.

(Assuming you're not acquainted with that place at all. That forum's where I started off learning about the nitty-gritty world of publishing).
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:57 AM   #10
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

If you are looking at self publishing your book McMaster has self-publishing services through the Bookstore. http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/print-on-demand/

Even if this isn't the direction you want to take it may be a good place to find some information.
Old 06-24-2012 at 08:54 PM   #11
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Tried ebooks and sold zero, so I took it off...wasn't very good, anyway.
Just some general tips were what I was looking for...particularly how to get an agent interested in your work...
The only way to sell books is to advertise them online.

I am very sure if you were to put it on iBooks or something and posted about it on macinsiders, you would get a few downloads if it was reasonable. I would personally take a read at it if it was on the store.