MacInsiders Logo

Anyone knows do we use the chem textbook quite often?

Old 09-15-2012 at 11:37 PM   #1
usedbooks

Liked: 0 Times

Anyone knows do we use the chem textbook quite often?
the situation is complicated here, i don't have the first term chem class which should be 1A03, but they don't allow me to skip the second term chem 1AA3, these first year stuff i already knew from high school, so could anyone tell is the textbook necessary for the class? since i only have one term chem, i don't really know if i need to buy it...and still don't know how the instructor will use the textbook...need help indeed plz <3
Old 09-16-2012 at 12:18 AM   #2
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedbooks View Post
the situation is complicated here, i don't have the first term chem class which should be 1A03, but they don't allow me to skip the second term chem 1AA3, these first year stuff i already knew from high school, so could anyone tell is the textbook necessary for the class? since i only have one term chem, i don't really know if i need to buy it...and still don't know how the instructor will use the textbook...need help indeed plz <3
I never used the textbook for Chem 1A03 and 1AA3, the lecture notes and the past midterms and exam were sufficient to do well in the course. However, do get MasteringChemistry, its easy to do well, pretty much a free % of whatever the course outline says.

usedbooks says thanks to Swampis for this post.
Old 09-16-2012 at 01:57 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It's just abit more than high school chem. If you read the slides should be fine.

usedbooks says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 09-16-2012 at 02:05 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I used it to learn from, but all you really need it for is to do practice problems

usedbooks says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 09-16-2012 at 10:10 AM   #5
1nsaneMidget

By slides alone, you'll oughta be okay.

usedbooks says thanks to 1nsaneMidget for this post.
Old 09-16-2012 at 01:36 PM   #6
Schen

Liked: 3 Times

The textbook is really useful for practise questions. In Chem 1A03 and 1AA3, there is plentiful of test questions that require math. So if practising questions is the way you learn math-type questions, then definitely consider buying the textbook.
Old 09-16-2012 at 10:42 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

text book is easy to find online anyways. dont buy it though
Old 09-16-2012 at 10:45 PM   #8
zoe.kan

Liked: 1 Time

I've never really used the textbook much either. I would occasionally use it to clear up some material I didn't get when the professor talked about it during lectures, but never used it for practice questions.

usedbooks likes this.
Old 09-16-2012 at 11:19 PM   #9
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

The book is quite helpful for previewing lectures While it may seem like yet another task to accomplish, previewing your lecture material in the text is a very helpful technique for success. Use that to gain preliminary understanding prior to lecture, attend lecture and then mark out questions to ask your prof. Office hours are available, so use them. Many people don't bother, so the prof often has close to an entire hour free. You can pay $20 per hour for a tutor to go over general concepts, or pay $0 per hour for the person who is deciding your grade to go over questions/concepts with you. Your call, but I know the route I would take.

usedbooks says thanks to Alomar12 for this post.
Old 09-17-2012 at 12:35 AM   #10
usedbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
text book is easy to find online anyways. dont buy it though
Really? Where to get it?