MacInsiders Logo

Apple female to male lightning cable

Old 12-17-2013 at 11:51 AM   #1
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Apple female to male lightning cable
Does anyone know how I can get this so that the cable also carries sound over to a dock?

From what I understand extensions from China are hit and miss and vendors don't specify whether they are dock-compatible or not
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:08 PM   #2
SilentHero-_-

Liked: 17 Times

Theoretically it should be able to carry audio regardless, assuming it's not some video cable. But I am not sure what you're asking based on your description. Perhaps a little bit more detail?
(01:33:13) SilentHero-_-: I’m no hero
(01:33:31) Entropy: Never was, never will be
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:14 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The lightning cable dynamically assigns its pins, so it's not simply a matter of sending the audio signal and having it be able to work in any situation. I'm assuming you need this cable because you have a skin/case on your phone, and the standard adaptor from apple won't fit, correct? There needs to be some chip(s) in the adaptor, which may not be visible with the cable you have. Is it very light and just has the two connectors at either end? If so then they might just have the pins connected in a way such that it will only work one way, and the dock may never work with the phone as intended.

The vendor likely is trying to fit it's cable to a general purpose situation, and may just not work with your specific dock. Does it connect to anything else well?

I may be crazy for saying this, but you could try a small lightning(m) to lightning (f) then use the adaptor, then 30 pin (m) to 30 pin (f). LOL. Anyone else have any ideas, or do you want to clarify what you're doing exactly?
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:18 PM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHero-_- View Post
Theoretically it should be able to carry audio regardless, assuming it's not some video cable. But I am not sure what you're asking based on your description. Perhaps a little bit more detail?
for princesses only

Old 12-17-2013 at 12:19 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I may be crazy for saying this, but you could try a small lightning(m) to lightning (f) then use the adaptor, then 30 pin (m) to 30 pin (f). LOL. Anyone else have any ideas, or do you want to clarify what you're doing exactly?
check pic . FINALLY someone that understands
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:37 PM   #6
SilentHero-_-

It would be advisable to avoid any condescension in your post, "for princesses only" it's impossible for me to give you a "helpful" and good answer if you're avoid giving more details on what you're trying to accomplish.
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:40 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Quote:
It would be advisable to avoid any condescension in your post, "for princesses only" it's impossible for me to give you a "helpful" and good answer if you're avoid giving more details on what you're trying to accomplish.
Ya man I feel the same about answering a question without a clue about how a lightning cable works.
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:51 PM  
RyanC
Elite Member

Hah, no need to be turd! What's the issue though, have you figured it out yet?
Old 12-17-2013 at 12:53 PM   #8
SilentHero-_-

Your post was confusing because a dock is suppose to not require a cable unless you're connecting it directly from the audio in from the back via a regular sound cable. However, in that scenario what's the point of having a dock if you're not docking you're device. I understand how a lightning cable works, the quickest way to solve your problem is do what Ryan said, and get the required adapter. Have a good day Simon.
Old 12-17-2013 at 01:17 PM   #9
ZSimon
Elite Member

Quote:
Your post was confusing because a dock is suppose to not require a cable unless you're connecting it directly from the audio in from the back via a regular sound cable. However, in that scenario what's the point of having a dock if you're not docking you're device. I understand how a lightning cable works, the quickest way to solve your problem is do what Ryan said, and get the required adapter. Have a good day Simon.
you too mate. you too.

I now understand how a lightning cable works, the quickest way to solve your problem is do what Ryan said, and get the required adapter.

ftfy
Old 12-17-2013 at 01:19 PM   #10
ZSimon
Elite Member

Quote:
Hah, no need to be turd! What's the issue though, have you figured it out yet?
yo. so you reckon I should extend the 30 pin out from the receiver?

and thats an ipad mini on the dock. which is the problem (ie it might fall right)
Old 12-17-2013 at 01:31 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
yo. so you reckon I should extend the 30 pin out from the receiver?

and thats an ipad mini on the dock. which is the problem (ie it might fall right)
It's not necessarily the problem, but if you're getting audio as is, and you only need to worry about it falling then yeah.

I realize now that I misread your original post. I would extend the 30 pin, rather than the lightning, just simply for durability reasons (redundant) and cost saving. There's nothing to say that lightning would be better than 30 pin or vice versa. But I don't know much about this new cable so the other is a safe bet!