MacInsiders Logo

Apple is worth more than...

Old 01-24-2012 at 10:56 PM   #16
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungdaddy View Post
only part i dont agree with is your first part. apples just one company, if you think about all the money floating around just in corporations etc., theses ***** **** ***** ******* **** would rather have the money then feed some starving kids. n dat what really grinds my gears yo!
My point is, being rich doesn't entail the obligation to help the poor. It would be nice, but it doesn't make them bad to not do so. I'm sure most of us all have a little extra cash lying around that could probably benefit an entire village in Africa, but does it make us bad people to choose to spend it on a week's worth of coffee or something?

xxsumz says thanks to Yogurt for this post.

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 01-25-2012 at 12:51 AM   #17
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
if most people were to 'start a company' it would probably be to feed their family and be secure in their life. what happens after that? the owners get greedy nd would rather live in luxury then help out the poor. its their choice and the choices they make let you see what type of person they really are.
if you were drinking dirty water and living in a third world ghetto you'd probably have a different opinion. 8 millions ppl a year die due to starvation...
I understand where you are coming from, but why is it their responsibility to save the world?
As it is they give to charities and provide jobs, but wait you also expect them to find a way to solve world hunger? Their sole purpose is to grow and profit.

That 100Billion that Apple has, a lot of it has to be reinvested in order to help keep their company growing or to help the company stay alive when things get rough. If Apple as a company goes down, the effects would cost Millions of jobs in the US, Brazil, Japan... all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
My point is, being rich doesn't entail the obligation to help the poor. It would be nice, but it doesn't make them bad to not do so. I'm sure most of us all have a little extra cash lying around that could probably benefit an entire village in Africa, but does it make us bad people to choose to spend it on a week's worth of coffee or something?

Well said. It is easy to put the blame on companies for not doing anything yet very few individuals would be willing to give up the luxuries they have to help the less fortunate.

Last edited by Crzyrio : 01-25-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2012 at 02:12 AM   #18
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Say what you will, you have to admire the hustle of a man who created something so influential in peacetime.

Didn't buy a planet like Richard Branson though. =P
Old 01-25-2012 at 05:07 PM   #19
hungdaddy

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
i think it kind of does make us bad people lol. how many poor people in are in your neighbourhood?? depends where you live but there are some really poor areas in most cities. it might be their fault , it might not be, but if everbodys walking around with $4oo dollar phones, we're a bunch of giant douches for thinking we cant end poverty....

and im guessing anyone sticking up for corporations hasn't taken a political science course
Old 01-25-2012 at 05:26 PM   #20
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:

and im guessing anyone sticking up for corporations hasn't taken a political science course
does political science not say that a social economic system controlled mostly by government is doomed to fail? IE communism on a global scale would be the end of the planet.

In any market driven system there is gonna be greed, and with greed comes a class system. You could also argue that it is this greed (for money and success) that feeds our science and technology and therefore increases quality of like. Its all a debate on what type of ethics you believe in.

Also, we live in a world where the more successful succeed. Even in the developed world, homeless people die all the time. However, if a single person (middle class) dies in a fire, or on a cruise etc, it will make minimum local, usually national and sometimes international news. Face it we are greedy and (for the most part) only care about people that contribute to our economies and our lives. Anyone else is deemed without help, and though we would like to help them, it would cost us too much so we pretty much dont help at all.

hungdaddy likes this.
Old 01-25-2012 at 05:28 PM   #21
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
i think it kind of does make us bad people lol. how many poor people in are in your neighbourhood?? depends where you live but there are some really poor areas in most cities. it might be their fault , it might not be, but if everbodys walking around with $4oo dollar phones, we're a bunch of giant douches for thinking we cant end poverty....

I am in the process of getting my political science degree and I stick up for private corporations all the time just not usually publicly funded ones. It doesn't make me a bad person, it just means that politically, we probably don't agree. That's the democracy we live in.
Old 01-25-2012 at 05:33 PM   #22
hungdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
I am in the process of getting my political science degree and I stick up for private corporations all the time just not usually publicly funded ones. It doesn't make me a bad person, it just means that politically, we probably don't agree. That's the democracy we live in.

if you sitck up for corporations.... and think we live in a democracy..... our education system has failed you. i am so sorry for your loss of time
Old 01-25-2012 at 06:50 PM   #23
Misspolitics

Quote:
if you sitck up for corporations.... and think we live in a democracy..... our education system has failed you. i am so sorry for your loss of time
I'm not sorry that my opinion differs from yours. I don't try to go after people's money just because they are better off than me. They were innovative individuals who thought of a revolutionary product. And to have your opinion and to voice it openly in a forum like macinsiders is democracy...politics 101

Old 01-25-2012 at 07:25 PM   #24
hungdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
I'm not sorry that my opinion differs from yours. I don't try to go after people's money just because they are better off than me. They were innovative individuals who thought of a revolutionary product. And to have your opinion and to voice it openly in a forum like macinsiders is democracy...politics 101
haha u so funny yo. you'll be happy when this commerce student gives you a quarter after you cant find a job with your poly sci degree :p
Old 01-25-2012 at 07:40 PM   #25
Misspolitics

Quote:
haha u so funny yo. you'll be happy when this commerce student gives you a quarter after you cant find a job with your poly sci degree :p

lol, k, I'll post on macinsiders when I'm a lawyer

candyman likes this.
Old 01-25-2012
hungdaddy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-25-2012 at 07:49 PM   #26
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
1. 4000 trips to the moon
That's a really silly comparison. That assumes what? The value of trained personnel is negligible as well as being able to use one ship for all 4000 trips? lol.

As is this whole thread. Might as well say,

"A meter is larger than...

1. 99 centimeters!
2. 999 milimeters
3. a squirrel"

Like what do these comparisons really prove? >_>

Eternal Fire, Snowman like this.
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:35 PM   #27
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
That's a really silly comparison. That assumes what? The value of trained personnel is negligible as well as being able to use one ship for all 4000 trips? lol.

1. 99 centimeters!
2. 999 milimeters
3. a squirrel"

It proves that you've been in ENG too long and need to get out more.

I kid, I kid (sorta)

adaptation likes this.
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:39 PM   #28
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post

1. 99 centimeters!
2. 999 milimeters
3. a squirrel"

STFU

ewefwefwefwef
Old 01-25-2012 at 08:47 PM   #29
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Quote:
okay, i'll come ask you to make me a sandwich and do my laundry when you realize your full potential as a woman
lol what's the matter, you can't prove your point so you start attacking other people?

anything you said has lost all credibility now, well done.

J. Dorey, Reda, Yogurt like this.