MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For all the Humanities and Social Science Students!- What do you want to do? maay29 Academics 5 08-28-2012 07:58 AM
Social Science / Humanities Electives dilemma15 Academics 1 12-28-2011 03:01 PM
Humanities/Social Science elective? xxorianna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-24-2011 03:37 PM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM

Applied for McMaster Social Science and Humanities

Old 03-06-2013 at 02:46 PM   #1
pandabearxox

Liked: 2 Times

Applied for McMaster Social Science and Humanities
Hi everyone!

I know the admission average for these programs are the same (mid-high 70's) But I was wondering if you come below that, can you still get accepted. I was very ill first semester and spent time in the hospital, which really affected my marks. This semester is going well so far, but first semester marks will bring my average down.

Thank you !
Old 03-06-2013 at 03:57 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Admissions for all programs (except for those requiring a supplementary application) is strictly based on grades. They have X number of offers to give out and Y number of applicants, and so if you list all the applicants from highest to lowest GPA, only the top X will get offers. This is why no-one knows what the cutoff for a given year will be; it depends on the GPAs of the applicants.

That said, I do not know if there are procedures for applicants with special circumstances. You should contact the registrar's office directly for information about that, since it's pretty applicant-specific. If they do not take into account special circumstances, then no, you will not get an offer if you are below the cutoff.

pandabearxox says thanks to starfish for this post.

Chad, rpg51 like this.
Old 03-06-2013 at 04:27 PM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

The best thing I can suggest for you is it just work ridiculously hard this semester to bring up your average as much as possible. As far as I know there aren't special procedures for people in your situation.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

pandabearxox says thanks to sarahsullz for this post.
Old 03-06-2013 at 04:58 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

You could email and ask...

pandabearxox says thanks to Zebedee for this post.
Old 03-06-2013 at 05:08 PM   #5
pandabearxox

My boyfriend got accepted to Engineering 2 years ago, and he said the cutoff was in the 80's, but people he knew still got in with 70's...thats why i'm wondering if you really do need the admission average.
Old 03-06-2013 at 05:24 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabearxox View Post
My boyfriend got accepted to Engineering 2 years ago, and he said the cutoff was in the 80's, but people he knew still got in with 70's...thats why i'm wondering if you really do need the admission average.
Then he probably didn't really know the cutoff.

Lots of people claim to, everyone's got a different number...as far as I know it's not officially published, and I'm a bit skeptical of anyone who gives an exact number.

That, or the people with 70's didn't really have 70's.

Or, the people with 70's were above the cutoff at midterms and then their grades dropped. When you get accepted, it's conditional upon you maintaining a certain average by the end of the school year, and this average is typically below the cutoff that you had to meet to receive an offer...so in effect, your second term midterm marks matter more than your final marks.

Old 03-06-2013 at 05:29 PM   #7
pandabearxox

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Then he probably didn't really know the cutoff.

Lots of people claim to, everyone's got a different number...as far as I know it's not officially published, and I'm a bit skeptical of anyone who gives an exact number.

That, or the people with 70's didn't really have 70's.

Or, the people with 70's were above the cutoff at midterms and then their grades dropped. When you get accepted, it's conditional upon you maintaining a certain average by the end of the school year, and this average is typically below the cutoff that you had to meet to receive an offer...so in effect, your second term midterm marks matter more than your final marks.
Thank you for the clarification
Old 03-06-2013 at 05:31 PM   #8
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

if you did like bad and got 60 avg in 3 courses first term, but if you have a 90 avg in 3 courses this term then they will look at it as 75% overall so you should have a shot at gettin in if its something like this

pandabearxox says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 03-06-2013 at 06:11 PM   #9
pandabearxox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
if you did like bad and got 60 avg in 3 courses first term, but if you have a 90 avg in 3 courses this term then they will look at it as 75% overall so you should have a shot at gettin in if its something like this
Thanks! i'm trying to work my butt off aha

and i got a 53% first semester in the class going towards my top 6 because i failed the other 2...this semester i''m taking 5, including an online Hopefully I can do it!
Old 03-06-2013 at 07:13 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks! i'm trying to work my butt off aha

and i got a 53% first semester in the class going towards my top 6 because i failed the other 2...this semester i''m taking 5, including an online Hopefully I can do it!
In that case, you need an 85.4 average at midterms to have an overall average of 80. That isn't too bad...it's a better scenario than the one Silver posted, actually, because you only have one low mark counting towards your top 6, not three.

Old 03-06-2013 at 07:15 PM   #11
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Hey Amber, a friend of mine was in a similar situation few years ago. He called mac and asked if he can upgrade a course in summer school and push his average up..they told him that if he was able to push his average to the required admissions average they will consider him into the program. I believe that was for social sciences.

That was few years ago and things could have changed since then. Just call Mac and ask if you can do the same. As for now, just try your best this term!
All the best!

pandabearxox says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 12:54 AM   #12
pandabearxox

After writing this, I thought it would be best to talk to my friend who's in social science at Mac (why didn't I think of this in the first place -_-) and he told me not to worry because he knows people who got below 75% average in their top 6, and basically as long as you get a 70% they'll consider you...
Urgg i'm stressing sooooo much! D: can't even sleep or eat anymore :( Why did my grade 12 year have to be the year I get sick :( blah!
Old 03-07-2013 at 01:41 AM   #13
kotton

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
After writing this, I thought it would be best to talk to my friend who's in social science at Mac (why didn't I think of this in the first place -_-) and he told me not to worry because he knows people who got below 75% average in their top 6, and basically as long as you get a 70% they'll consider you...
Urgg i'm stressing sooooo much! D: can't even sleep or eat anymore :( Why did my grade 12 year have to be the year I get sick :( blah!
You need at least mid-high 70s to be considered.

pandabearxox says thanks to kotton for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 01:46 AM   #14
kotton

Liked: 9 Times

Taken from the McMaster website: "100 per cent of entering students with averages of 75 per cent or higher"

pandabearxox says thanks to kotton for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 02:03 AM   #15
pandabearxox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
Taken from the McMaster website: "100 per cent of entering students with averages of 75 per cent or higher"
Thanks, they were probably just trying to make me feel better
Well hopefully I push myself hard enough to make it! I've wanted to go to Mac since Grade 5, so i'm so nervous atm I can't even sleep anymore :/
Wish me luck!