MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Why would or would you not like to see an archery club?
Dangerous 0 0%
Rare opportunity for a new skill 39 59.09%
Liability issues 1 1.52%
Gives a chance for a new sport 47 71.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Archery

Old 09-09-2008 at 10:44 PM   #16
jjcole

Liked: 0 Times

Sounds great, good luck with getting this going. Seems like you have a pretty good amount of support just from this forum alone. Maybe next ClubsFest you should take a table and get the word out and try and get the gears in motion.
Old 09-10-2008 at 11:45 AM   #17
Kayli

Liked: 1 Time

Well, I am definitely interested, but don't you have to wait until next term to start a new club?
Old 09-10-2008 at 02:58 PM   #18
FlyGuy

Starting Clubs
I don't know whether I need to wait untill next term. I will go to the MSU office tomorrow if I have time and see what needs to be done.
Thanks for the support!
Old 09-10-2008 at 04:38 PM   #19
Cippi

To officially form a club you may have to wait until later, but that doesn't necessarily stop you from forming your own "unofficial" club of people interested in archery (which there certainly seems to be) - you just won't be able to get any financial or logistical support from the MSU, unfortunately, but it would be a gathering of like-minded people, which really is what a club is, anyway. You may even be able to coordinate events and such through MacInsiders!

FlyGuy says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 09-12-2008 at 09:40 AM   #20
FlyGuy

Unofficial
Ill see what I can get together and then come registration time, well uh register.
The only obstacle is funding for equiptment; I have my own but it is rather advanced to learn on and Ive tuned it to me/ is worth a fair amount of money. If I could get together a meeting of interested people say later september, we could organize this and get equiptment. In the meantime, we will need to find a premise that we could shoot at without being arrested.
Old 09-12-2008 at 06:09 PM   #21
diegocn

Wow FlyGuy I am impressed there's anther fellow archer. I have been actively trying to form archery club in the pass 3 years, and at one point even start posting flyers around campus. Guess I could share some of my past research:

Most people are very interested, but few have experience, let along owning equipments. If club is providing the equipments, here's some cost analysis:

- Backstop net, a must if try to shot in gym. Around $250~$300 for a decent size.
- Bows, arrows, finger glove, arm guard, and quiver. The absolute minimum for one set of this is about $250. Say the club starts with 4 sets, that would be $1000.
- Target and arrow replacement. These are less expensive but will show up in long run.

Basically that means, if you can manage to gather $1500, this club is going to be REALLY HOT. I can tell from experience of signing up archery club at UoT yesterday, sale starts at 7am and is gone by 8:30. As where the money is coming from, I think the biggest hope is convince school forming a archery team, or your family is extraordinary rich.

In any case, I would LOVE to see an archery club coming to Mac. If you need any help, feel free to contact me at diego.qiu [at] gmail [dot] com

FlyGuy says thanks to diegocn for this post.
Old 09-21-2008 at 04:33 PM   #22
thatdudeukno

I did archery in high school in gym class. I would love for an archery club!!!
Old 09-22-2008 at 02:29 PM   #23
FlyGuy

**meeting**
Ok, so there seems to be a fair amount of interest in this. I will be attempting to get facilities for a meeting on Sept 29th for 1600 (4 pm). There will be another post confirming this in the next day or two. If you are unable to make that, please contact me: [email protected] .
Thanks for the continued support!
Old 09-23-2008 at 03:36 PM   #24
FlyGuy

** Meeting Confirmation**
Seeing as it is not possible to book a room, Im suggesting anyone who is interested meet in front of the fireplace in the MUSC atrium @ 4:00 (1600) Mon. Sept 29. If you are still interested but cannot make this, message me and we can make other arrangements.
Bring your friends
Bring your relatives (if you have to)
Bring yourself
and most of all bring your continued support
and plese dont bring any weaponry, I dont want to get shot down before we get off the ground
~FlyGuy
Old 09-23-2008 at 04:16 PM   #25
Kayli

Hi FlyGuy,

I definitely want to come to the meeting, but I have class at 4pm. I would have time from 4:30 to 5:30, or anytime after 6:30, however. So, just in case other ppl aren't available at that time, either, and you have to reschedule, that's when I'm available. Otherwise, please let me kno if you think I'd still be able to catch the rest of the meeting at 4:30.
Old 09-23-2008 at 05:33 PM   #26
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

i'm definitly interested in this

edit - i just realised i have class until 4:20 on mondays - any time after that is good for me

Last edited by Maegs : 09-23-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2008 at 07:53 PM   #27
hamza7

Liked: 2 Times

I'd be interested, if we can do it on weekends. I was just watching a show called Myth Busters, they made cross-bows from news-paper, amazing human ingenuity
Old 09-24-2008 at 12:36 PM   #28
FlyGuy

conflicts
Lets keep it at 4, I will stay untill 430 for those of you who cannot make it
Old 09-24-2008 at 04:55 PM   #29
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I can not make it but if you could put up any info here that would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-24-2008 at 06:09 PM   #30
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

wow I would love to do that!