Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Archery? Kitarity Clubs & Groups 1 08-10-2011 04:09 PM
Archery FlyGuy Clubs & Groups 52 07-10-2009 08:26 PM

Archery

Old 08-17-2012 at 03:17 PM   #16
Kitarity
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Slightly closer range in Rockton, that's the one the SCA uses. Still too far without a car though.
Old 08-17-2012 at 05:49 PM   #17
Andrewy

Liked: 0 Times

I shot target for several years. I used to shoot at a club in Caledon called Archers of Caledon and i would defiantly be interested in shooting again. I have all my gear and equipment and still shoot targets from time to time.
Old 08-17-2012 at 06:15 PM   #18
Kitarity
Account Disabled by User

Perfect, that's at least four target shooters with their own equipment now.
Old 08-17-2012 at 06:30 PM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I was looking to buy equipment for my own uses, but I have no clue what I was doing...
Don't know what type or specs of various bows would be best for me
Old 08-17-2012 at 07:28 PM   #20
sherloki

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewy View Post
I shot target for several years. I used to shoot at a club in Caledon called Archers of Caledon and i would defiantly be interested in shooting again. I have all my gear and equipment and still shoot targets from time to time.
That's neat, I shoot there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I was looking to buy equipment for my own uses, but I have no clue what I was doing...
Don't know what type or specs of various bows would be best for me
If you go to the Bow Shop in Waterloo they'll set you up (measure your draw length, cut your arrows to an appropriate size, etc.), but to be honest just try and go to one of the older guys rather than the young women. Baaad experiences.

"All rests are the same; they're all made of metal."
"Wait...what."

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-17-2012 at 07:56 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherloki View Post
That's neat, I shoot there!

If you go to the Bow Shop in Waterloo they'll set you up (measure your draw length, cut your arrows to an appropriate size, etc.), but to be honest just try and go to one of the older guys rather than the young women. Baaad experiences.

"All rests are the same; they're all made of metal."
"Wait...what."
What sort of prices would I be looking at? Id be happy with just a selfbow to be honest
Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 08-17-2012 at 08:17 PM   #22
Andrewy

Even if we were to shoot outdoors i think we would a backstop too. Perhaps a backstop net; those are quick and easy to set up, but they can be costly.
Old 08-17-2012 at 08:41 PM   #23
sherloki

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
What sort of prices would I be looking at? Id be happy with just a selfbow to be honest
Thanks for the recommendation!
No problem

Hmm, well when I got all of my starter equipment it came to about $350-400. That was for a full bow (riser, limbs, rest, plunger, sight, string), a dozen arrows (cut, fletched, with points and knocks put on), finger tab, chest guard, arm guard, a carrying bag and a quiver.

I've got quite a few arrows that are too short for me now. If we get all of this going and the length works for you, you could take 'em for a few bucks. However you'll have to be quite secure in your masculinity as the vanes are zebra print...
Old 08-17-2012 at 10:15 PM   #24
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

The cheapest form of archery (it's free!):

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/category+theory#idea_ 10

\badmathjoke

Eternal Fire, oranges, RyanC like this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 08:42 PM   #25
Kitarity
Account Disabled by User

Alright so no word back yet from McMaster, I'm going to send a follow up. If we can't do in on campus grounds we may be able to convince a highschool to lend us the use of their gym. I want to get an exact headcount of how many people are interested, so if you could send me a PM with your mcmaster email that would be great!
Old 09-16-2012 at 12:06 PM   #26
Kitarity
Account Disabled by User

Sorry for the delay, so I talked it over with MacAth, the club will be running next year. The things I/we need to sort out now is establishing some sort of exec board, and then working on getting equipment. As a new club the maximum amount of money we can receive from the MSU is $100, which is maybe half a backstop. I have no idea how much we can get from MacAth, but that'll be sorted out later. If you're interested in helping me run this I'm looking for 3-4 people with experience instructing or have lots of experience shooting, paperwork I can handle, but I've gotten rusty. The format looks to be 30m, as the range will probably be indoors.

Message me if you're interested in being exec, or have ideas on acquiring equipment. I think we'd only need to acquire 10-15 recurves at first and keep the club small for the first year.

JPhan says thanks to Kitarity for this post.
Old 09-16-2012 at 12:22 PM   #27
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

You can also apply for club's ratification for coming January, try talking to the club's administrator.
Old 09-16-2012 at 12:35 PM   #28
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I'd be interested in joining if this club starts off. Minimal experience though, only took a few classes.
Old 09-16-2012 at 02:43 PM   #29
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

I would also be interested in joining. I have no experience whatsoever or any idea how I should get started.
Old 09-19-2012 at 12:58 PM   #30
JPhan

I would love to join despite the fact that it'll run next year. I'm an experienced shooter who can probably mentor (not coach!) newbies. I have my own set of equipment which should help quite a bit as the budget is so low currently.