MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

Architect program

Old 01-28-2011 at 01:53 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Architect program
does mcmaster have an architect program?

isnt in engineering 2nd year?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2011 at 01:54 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post

Thanks in advance
You might be thinking of Civil Engineering. We don't have Architecture here.
Old 01-28-2011 at 01:59 PM   #3
mfattal
Elite Member

I am going civil but i like Architecture as well

i would put as a second choice

oh well
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:13 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

We should have Architecture.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:15 PM   #5
mfattal
Elite Member

ya i know :(
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:16 PM   #6
alh24
Elite Member

One of Dalhousie's Architecture programs accepts applicants who have completed two years of an undergraduate degree in any discipline. I think it's a bit of a hassle (e.g., you have to have an art portfolio for consideration, and it's recommended that you take Fine Arts courses), but that's a really good option. My brother did two years of Civil Engineering, decided he wanted to go into Architecture, and then transferred there.

Also, lizziepizzie, I love your forum signature, to the tenth power.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-28-2011 at 04:19 PM.

lizziepizzie says thanks to alh24 for this post.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:20 PM   #7
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
One of Dalhousie's Architecture programs accepts applicants who have completed two years of an undergraduate degree in any discipline. I think it's a bit of a hassle (e.g., you have to have an art portfolio for consideration, and it's recommended that you take Fine Arts courses), but that's a really good option. My brother did two years of Civil Engineering, decided he wanted to go into Architecture, and then transferred there.

Also, lizziepizzie, I love your forum signature, to the tenth power.
haha THANKS! What do you mean by an art portfolio? Like photographs?
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:24 PM   #8
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
haha THANKS! What do you mean by an art portfolio? Like photographs?
I'm not entirely sure if photographs are accepted. My brother said they advised him to pick up a Fine Arts elective so that he could build a portfolio, because they need to have a portfolio of your work to review before they accept you. Being able to draw is pretty important for an architect, so I think they just want applicants to demonstrate that they're capable of doing so.

Last edited by alh24 : 01-28-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:31 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I'm not entirely sure if photographs are accepted. My brother said they advised him to pick up a Fine Arts elective so that he could build a portfolio, because they need to have a portfolio of your work to review before they accept you. Being able to draw is pretty important for an architect, so I think they just want applicants to demonstrate that they're capable of doing so.
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if you maybe meant online drawing as well, if you call it that. I thought it was all done on the computer and not entirely by hand.
Old 01-28-2011 at 04:35 PM   #10
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if you maybe meant online drawing as well, if you call it that. I thought it was all done on the computer and not entirely by hand.
It's quite possible that they accept that, too. I'm pretty sure he did it mostly by hand for his portfolio, but it wouldn't surprise me if they considered different forms either, because even if it's done with another medium, it still shows design skills. I know he's mentioned that he's only had to draw by hand a few times there.

http://architectureandplanni ng.dal.../program.shtml

All they ask for there is "creative design ability," I assume computer-based drawing would count for that.
Old 01-28-2011 at 05:27 PM   #11
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post

Thanks in advance
Yeah ur thinking of civil.

If u want architecture either go to Carleton or Waterloo (the later is hard to get into, but is one of the best in Canada)
Old 01-28-2011 at 06:14 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

There's also an architecture program at UTSG which also requires a portfolio. I would definitely call the schools you're interested in if you want to ask about the portfolio and such . Good luck!