MacInsiders Logo

Article Ideas (suggestions wanted!)

Old 04-16-2008 at 09:41 PM   #1
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Idea for an Article Series
I think, especially with the new SRA, BOD, MSU Forums that are being created, it would be really cool to have a series on the Bureaucratical elements functioning in the University.

The first article could be an overview of how the University runs/how all these groups interact, and then each article could focus on the specific bodies.

What think you guys?
Old 04-19-2008 at 04:05 PM   #2
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I agree! I think it would be fantastic for students to be exposed to how our Student's Union is run!

As well, I think it would be fantastic for the VP Administration and the new services chair (being elected tomorrow) to work with MacInsiders to showcase the 35 different services that the MSU offers so that student's know both what services are available to them and how they can get involved in them!
Old 04-19-2008 at 04:27 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Either or you (or anyone else for that matter) is welcome to write on those/these subjects.

I'm currently busy with other serieses right now, soooo someone else will have to write them!

P.S. Awesome idea Ron!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-19-2008 at 04:40 PM   #4
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

I'd be up for working on it over the summer if I wasn't so clueless myself.
Old 04-19-2008 at 04:42 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Article Ideas (suggestions wanted!)
Now that my thesis and exams are over, I have a little bit of time over the next few weeks to do some article writing. Some of these articles I will be posting in the general soon-nes, while others will be archived and written for a later date.

Currently, I'm in the process of composing articles that relate to fourth year and post-grad. Some of these are actually not being written by me, as other people I know have actually undergone the process. Sooo once they've finished exams and whatnot they will be penning them.

Right now, here is the list:
  • writing a final year undergrad thesis (may actually be written in several parts, as each faculty is different, and disciplines within each faculty are as well)
  • graduate school
  • law school
  • teacher's college
  • MBA
What other articles do you guys WANT? This can be related to anything and everything for McMaster, as we will be re-visiting or completely re-writing some of the articles we wrote last year. This means...anything...so what to expect from Residence, how to stay organized, what living off campus is like, non-McMaster related advice, upcoming events etc etc.

Please post what you guys want to see!

And...don't forgot YOU (as in...YOU whoever is reading this) can write articles too! I don't have to write the majority of them! :p Once you've written something just submit it to the drafts folder (which is only visible to Exec and yourself), and we can go over it before we put it up.

Remember MacInsiders is FOR STUDENTS BY STUDENTS! (and we really like the plural aspect!!)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-19-2008 at 04:44 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevitin View Post
I'd be up for working on it over the summer if I wasn't so clueless myself.
Research!!

Do you honestly think I know most of the stuff I write about beforehand!??

NOOOOOO (really).

Old 04-19-2008 at 05:05 PM   #7
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I will talk to the newly elected Services Committee, etc and hopefully they will take on that project! I think it'd be best during the year as new students are coming, but maybe a bit over the summer would be good too!
Old 04-19-2008 at 05:07 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

ARTICLE IDEAS that i've posted in other posts:

Advice articles for incoming students:
  • Residence
  • student life
  • academics
  • getting involved
  • leadership opportunities
  • student services available
  • tips on studying
  • advice on dating/relationships/bars/clubs/restaurants near Mac
  • interviews with important people on campus
  • SOLAR and MUGSI help
  • Where to buy books, advice on buying used books
  • Places to eat on and off campus
Most things we already have in our archives, but new, fresh articles are welcome.

As for the regular readership of upper year students, anything that's interesting such as:
  • Updates on the new MSU administration (board of directors) and SRA updates
  • Cool places to go while on summer vacation
  • local and non-local hangout spots
  • movies to see
  • interesting books to read
  • drink mixes
  • recipes
  • off-campus housing advice/tips
  • news and issues around Mac and Hamilton that are important
  • local bands and concerts
  • events
  • entertainment spots
  • restaurant/club reviews, etc.
Ready to write for us?
Click here and write an article!
Your submission will be placed in a private forum for MacInsiders staff to look over and publish with your name and username attributed as the author!
Old 09-24-2008 at 10:37 AM   #9
Adam O

Liked: 0 Times

Hey everyone... it would be great to have someone do a little ditty on the Luca Lazy Legs event coming up in the student centre tomorrow between 12 and 2. He is a break dancer with a disability that reduces muscle and bone function and a fantastic break dancer check him out on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqeVXbTQ8NA. It would be phenominal if someone could get some video of him performing here and maybe do a little interview with either him or Luwam.. the disabilities awareness coordinator for CSD.

Thanks...
Adam