MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to find "unique" beauty products? Kathy2 General Discussion 19 11-19-2010 04:53 PM
beauty parlour?! Richa General Discussion 14 10-05-2009 05:54 PM

artificial beauty

Old 11-26-2013 at 09:48 AM   #1
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

artificial beauty
noticed suddenly the percent of 'hot girls' has dropped significantly, i guess they don't have time for putting on the makeup in the morning during exam. And yet we put these 'hot girls' on pedestal. #pathetic#artificial beauty

matt1025 likes this.
Old 11-26-2013 at 10:14 AM   #2
Suspect

Liked: 60 Times

I have made no such observation.
Old 11-26-2013 at 10:29 AM   #3
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

what are you talking about?

alyssarr likes this.
Old 11-26-2013 at 11:32 AM   #4
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
noticed suddenly the percent of 'hot girls' has dropped significantly, i guess they don't have time for putting on the makeup in the morning during exam. And yet we put these 'hot girls' on pedestal. #pathetic#artificial beauty
stop smacking your pedestal to these girls and start studying

Amaryll likes this.
Old 11-26-2013 at 12:03 PM   #5
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

It's not just the absence of makeup; everyone is stressed out and sleep deprived, with bags underneath their eyes around this time of year. Plus, the weather doesn't help much, a lot of them are probably sick, have dry skin and chapped lips.
So when you see all these good looking girls in the beginning of the semester, I wouldn't consider that to be "artificial beauty", just taking care of themselves, sort of like the way guys shave and style their hair when they want to look presentable, but when they have other priorities, they couldn't care less.

Last edited by SweetyTweety : 11-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.

alyssarr, Amaryll, Suspect like this.
Old 11-26-2013 at 11:33 PM   #6
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Well someone's bitter.
Old 11-27-2013 at 08:57 AM   #7
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

7/10 not bad
Old 11-27-2013 at 09:51 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

...I'm going to include this disclaimer because, in the past, people have taken what I have said too seriously and got butt-hurt. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are not entirely my own. Sometimes I play parts of my argument/discussion against somebody through a 'devil's advocate' filter and end up writing stuff I don't particularly believe because it's hard to do. Doing this also helps me grasp the topic better and arrive at conclusions I wouldn't normally. This said, the thoughts expressed here are my own on the matter. I also accept the fact that people I respond to in serious matters could be, and very likely are, trolls, and this is another troll topic...

First of all, beauty isn't natural or artificial, it's based on what the recipient of the person who's viewing it perceives it as. When you're saying they're beautiful, and artificially so, you agree they look attractive. Is that not the goal of any woman, to be attracted and accepted? While I don't know where your opinions on the matter are coming from, most males appreciate this. If you were a woman I guess I could see the criticism, and understand. What women who put on make-up are doing is taking time out of their day to stand out. You may not agree that that's the best use of their time, or certainly is not the best way to grab YOUR attention, but that's what the majority of them see it as. I can't think of many of my female friends who don't in some way use make-up to enhance their appearance.

Secondly, not all women you see all dolled up are proud of what they're doing. Shocking, isn't it? Women, from a very early age, are prodded into believing the model that a significant amount of their self-worth comes from looking pretty and landing the ideal man. This also applies to men, lesbians, trans, and other people who don't fall into the typical gender roles. The truth of the matter, is that however stuck-up, self-confident, or all around 'artifically' gorgeous a women walking around campus looks, they're likely insecure in some aspect. Truthfully, mostly every woman you see on campus is engaged in a constant battle on a daily basis to some degree with her self-esteem against the world; many of them on the outside seem to be winning that war, but a lot are losing.

Thirdly, I'm not sure why it being exam time and the less percentage of people you think are attractive being around proves anything, really. Is it not a good thing that women are putting less time into make-up, fashion, and so forth, and they are instead spending that time on educating themselves? It seems like you appreciate a woman who has a better personality and intelligence, rather than outward appearance, but at the same time you're putting them down for doing this. It's also possible that the 10/10 women you're seeing less of are actually still looking pretty much the same, only they're locked away writing papers or have their noses in textbooks, instead of walking around for your observing pleasure.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, it brings an interesting issue to light.

Ponyo, Watoko like this.
Old 11-27-2013 at 10:19 AM   #9
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

makeup, plastic surgery, pushup bra, mini skirt, high heels, fake blonde
what do guys put on their body?
Old 11-27-2013 at 11:27 AM   #10
Suspect

Quote:
I put lotion on my skin, deodorant on my pits, oils in my hair and chapstick every once in a while when i notice my lips are dry.

Guys that work out might wear tight shirts that show off their muscles, cologne, some people don't leave the house without styling their hair with gel.

Amaryll likes this.
Old 11-27-2013 at 02:30 PM   #11
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
Adding on to what Suspect said... "fake blonde"?

Yeah, 'cause men never dye their hair, amirite? And plastic surgery, *clearly* the average McMaster student can afford it and it's everywhere. Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
some people don't leave the house without styling their hair with gel.
On that note, I've been threatened (mostly not seriously) with violence for ruffling the hair of dudes who spent half an hour on it earlier that morning.
Old 11-27-2013 at 02:38 PM   #12
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Yeah, 'cause men never dye their hair, amirite? And plastic surgery, *clearly* the average McMaster student can afford it and it's everywhere. Yep.
Never in my life have I seen any straight dudes dying their hair. Unless they are actors or need it for a job.

Jesse.C likes this.
Old 11-27-2013 at 02:48 PM   #13
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Never in my life have I seen any straight dudes dying their hair. Unless they are actors or need it for a job.
I've known at least 4.
Old 11-27-2013 at 03:26 PM   #14
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

whoever is saying men don't care about their looks as much as women has clearly never watched Jersey Shore.

Perhaps most men don't dye their hair or wear makeup, but you can't tell me that most of the men who workout excessively do so merely for a "healthy lifestyle".
Old 11-27-2013 at 03:51 PM   #15
Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
whoever is saying men don't care about their looks as much as women has clearly never watched Jersey Shore.

Perhaps most men don't dye their hair or wear makeup, but you can't tell me that most of the men who workout excessively do so merely for a "healthy lifestyle".
I would even go as far as saying the whole concept of "swag" is really just a euphemism for the idea that even guys take a considerable amount of time out of their days to beautify themselves, not for themselves, but for the sake of impressing others.