MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science tranasaurus Introduce Yourself 0 09-11-2013 06:38 PM
Arts and Science Smatinnia Academics 1 06-24-2013 07:24 AM
arts and science Awesomeness Academics 1 12-24-2011 10:35 PM
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM

Arts and Science

Old 09-23-2014 at 05:56 PM   #1
zoer24

Liked: 0 Times

Arts and Science
Hi guys,

I'm a grade 12 student interested in the art sci program.

Theoretically, if i get it in, is grade 12 biology required to take first year biology or psychology as one of the natural science electives?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2014 at 06:21 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

For future reference, this can all be found in the course calendar (which can be accessed by googling mcmaster course calendar). Also keep in mind that this is the information for THIS year, but it can change from year to year.

For Psych 1X03: grade 12 biology or the equivalent university course (bio 1P03) are recommended but not required.
For Psych 1XX3: based on the way the course calendar is written, it sounds like students in Arts & Science do not need biology in order to take this course, which I find odd, since it is the one that is more based on biology.

For Bio 1M03: grade 12 biology or bio 1P03 is required
For Bio 1A03: Same thing as psych 1XX3, and I find that even stranger, since it is cell biology and probably the one that draws most on material learned in grade 12 biology - however, students in arts & sciences as well as some engineering programs don't require grade 12 biology.

If you're interested in bio and psych, it would be a good idea to take it.
Many upper-year courses in bio and psych require both of the first-year courses, and it will probably make your life easier in the first-year courses.
Old 09-23-2014 at 06:30 PM   #3
zoer24

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the help!

Honestly, all the semicolons in the prerequisites had me a bit confused. Thanks, for clearing that up. It is much appreciated

I definitely agree with you though! Very strange that grade 12 bio is not required for first year bio...
Old 11-20-2014 at 05:48 PM   #4
HealthSci/Kin

Liked: 3 Times

in arts sci am i only allowed to major in one subject or can a major in two??????
Old 11-20-2014 at 06:54 PM   #5
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

Arts and Science students "major" in exactly that - Arts and Science. They take lots of courses that integrate the two domains of thought, all while linking them with critical thinking tasks. My first year roommate was an ArtSci and it's no cake walk.

Once you get into second year you can take electives in many other disciplines. This allows you to "combine" in a discipline if you take enough electives in a subject. For example, one could graduate with a degree in "Arts and Science combining in History/Physics/Psychology/Economics/Health Studies/Chemistry/..." As far as I know, you can only officially combine in one subject.