MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science tranasaurus Introduce Yourself 0 09-11-2013 06:38 PM
Arts and Science Smatinnia Academics 1 06-24-2013 07:24 AM
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM

Arts & Science Program

Old 11-09-2013 at 09:50 AM   #1
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Arts & Science Program
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the art & science program? It doesn't necessarily have to be someone in the program. I'm looking for any insight.

1. I understand that you get to explore a science and then an art/social science/humanities. When I graduate do I come out with 2 minors?
2. There are only 60 students accepted every year. Does the program ever feel too small?
3. I know there are required arts and science courses. Could someone give me an example of what they do in those classes? Or how they blend the arts and science together?
4. What do you or someone you know plan to do with their arts and science degree?
5. Any advice for writing the supplementary? Should I write it formally?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
Old 11-09-2013 at 11:22 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

This website can answer most of your questions: http://artsci.os.mcmaster.ca /
Also, this isn't explicitly stated in the combined honours section, but a combined honours is like a double-major. You don't need to do a combined degree though - you can get a degree in "arts and science" if you want. If you combine, then you'll have a degree in arts and science, as well as a degree in whatever you choose to combine with. I wouldn't say you explore "a science and then an art/socsci/humanities". There are artsci specific courses that deal with both sciences/maths and art/socsci/humanities. Beyond that, you can choose to combine with pretty much any subject you want.

The courses section has a description of the artsci specific courses.
The top right corner has what some alumni are up to.

I definitely don't think 60 people is small, but my undergrad program had way less than that.
Old 12-03-2013 at 11:32 PM   #3
~Jax~

Liked: 0 Times

Artsci never felt small to me. It was great getting to know people from various years. And profs get to know your name! (Which can also be a bad thing sometimes! haha) But generally, a lot more contact with instructors is a huge benefit.

The degree is pretty nonspecific, which means that while it's hard to explain to potential employers, you can in many cases tailor it to suit your interests/needs. Especially if you end up getting a combined honours.
Off the top of my head, one artsci is a published author, another has started an NGO, one works for McMaster, some have gone off to grad/law/med school as well.