MacInsiders Logo

Asking out your TA

Old 11-27-2010 at 06:16 PM   #16
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I wondered the exact same thing, although I'm pretty sure if there was even a chance at some chemistry, the TA would probably initiate.

I know someone who was intimate with a TA and he promised her a guaranteed A, and I know someone else who got asked out by his TA for coffee

I wouldn't risk the chance of embarassment, especially since they're marking your work. But if they were to initiate something I think its fair game.
Old 11-27-2010 at 06:33 PM   #17
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I have, and my marks didn't change ( not that I did it for that reason..) We had mutual friends in common, just saw each other at a club in Toronto.. he approacher me, and we never talked about the class...

On a side note, I've had a professor give out his cell phone number for those who needed help ( he was always away on business so wast able to meet with everyone during office hrs). So I texted him once late at night, and we started talking.. innocently, just about my future plans ( he told me about an accounting firm which was hiring, and said he would put in a good word for me if I want to. ) SO I came by with a resume, blabla bla bla.. then a few days later he texted me and asked if I was available for drinks one day, to discuss the job. I went.. and he was definitely not planning on talking about work.
After that I stopped answering his messages and he stopped texting me.. I was very surprised.
However he was just on a one year contract or something because he went back to teaching in Toonto
Old 11-27-2010 at 07:20 PM   #18
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
I have, and my marks didn't change ( not that I did it for that reason..) We had mutual friends in common, just saw each other at a club in Toronto.. he approacher me, and we never talked about the class...

On a side note, I've had a professor give out his cell phone number for those who needed help ( he was always away on business so wast able to meet with everyone during office hrs). So I texted him once late at night, and we started talking.. innocently, just about my future plans ( he told me about an accounting firm which was hiring, and said he would put in a good word for me if I want to. ) SO I came by with a resume, blabla bla bla.. then a few days later he texted me and asked if I was available for drinks one day, to discuss the job. I went.. and he was definitely not planning on talking about work.
After that I stopped answering his messages and he stopped texting me.. I was very surprised.
However he was just on a one year contract or something because he went back to teaching in Toonto
You're hot tho so any straight male TA/prof would take advantage of his position and ask you out.
Old 11-27-2010 at 09:10 PM   #19
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post

now that my friend.. is what you get for being sexyy
Old 11-27-2010 at 09:12 PM   #20
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
now that my friend.. is what you get for being slutty
agreed.

mcmastergcdb, xxsumz like this.
Old 11-27-2010 at 10:00 PM   #21
jimmy.cheema

Liked: 1 Time

i say go for it man...........do what you want, life is short

NowHere likes this.
Old 11-27-2010 at 11:14 PM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy.cheema View Post
i say go for it man...........do what you want, life is short
you sound like Min-Oo.
Old 11-28-2010 at 11:24 AM   #23
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

What about asking out CAs when you live in rez or the guest services people that check your id?
Old 11-28-2010 at 11:32 AM   #24
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Just keep in mind that its a conflict of interest while they're teaching your course (and might also be considered inappropriate workplace behaviour). On the other hand if you wait till after the course then it would be fine. Although arrangements would have to be made if you ended up with them TAing for another course you're in.

It's only a few weeks... wait for it. Or at least wait till everything is marked.

taylojl likes this.
Old 11-28-2010 at 12:52 PM   #25
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
What about asking out CAs when you live in rez or the guest services people that check your id?
It's a conflict of interest for CAs, but they won't get in any major trouble for it (unless they try to hide it from their residence manager and it becomes part of a bigger problem). CAs end up dating people from their building and other staff members all the time, but it almost always happens the year after they were that person's CA. You can ask out GRS, there are no issues there.

As far as TAs go, I know two right now (one guy and one girl) that have students that like them and it's just a really awkward situation. The girl has been trying to avoid one on one time with the guy (who she thinks is planning to ask her out) and the guy has just had a variety of issues with the girl in his class. I do know TAs that have people in their classes that their attracted to, but they all plan to wait until classes are done before doing anything. I'd say wait until the semester is done and ask your TA out, if they're not interested it won't be too awkward for either party and if they are, you won't be putting their job at risk.
Old 11-28-2010 at 04:48 PM   #26
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Yeah, I know a friend-of-a-friend (oh God, that sounds like the beginning of an urban myth) who dated her prof while in his class. I have no idea if they got in trouble for it. He was like 30 years older than her and, well, it's really not my business to say anything but that they broke up AFTER the class was done.
Old 11-28-2010 at 05:09 PM   #27
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Yeah, I know a friend-of-a-friend (oh God, that sounds like the beginning of an urban myth) who dated her prof while in his class. I have no idea if they got in trouble for it. He was like 30 years older than her and, well, it's really not my business to say anything but that they broke up AFTER the class was done.
how much did she get in the course?
Old 11-28-2010 at 05:10 PM   #28
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Damn, you asked it before I did...

Old 11-28-2010 at 05:34 PM   #29
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Both my parents worked at mac so I pretty much grew up on campus and I can say this happens way more often than you'd think. Especially with profs and thesis advisors.

I figure its just an academic tradition in which our educated superiors prepare students for the real world.

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-28-2010 at 05:54 PM   #30
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Damn, you asked it before I did...
I actually don't know. She's someone I choose not to talk to. The last time I saw her was senior year of hs, and my bff doesn't even talk to her anymore. I just heard it through him (my bff) anyways, and saw some *cough cough* THINGS on her facebook... But I do remember when he was in her profile pic and they were listed as "in a relationship" on facebook.