MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-23-2010 at 08:44 PM   #1
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Assassin
I saw this on the MES website and it looks like something some of you MI people might enjoy
(I dont have the paranoid instincts nor the time to be paranoid, but still sounds fun!)

Assassins (also known as Gotcha, Mafia, etc) is a live action game that allows you to go about your normal schedule (on and off campus) while playing. Your goal is to "assassinate" your given target by either clothes pinning them or poisoning them. If you are interested in learning more about the game, please see these game instructions.
Cost: $1 to join. Half of the amount raised will be donated to charity and the other half will go to the winner of the game. The winner of the game is the last (wo)man standing or the person with the most kills by the end of the week.
To Register: Email [email protected] ca by 6 pm Sunday, November 28th, with your Name, department, year, email and phone number.
To Play: If you registered, come to the Engineering Lounge (JHE 121) on Monday, November 29th, from 10 am - 6 pm to find out who your first target is and to pay the $1 donation. Find the Director of Sports (Laurence Rivard).
Game Play: Will start at 6 am on Tuesday, November 30th and end at 6 am one week later (December 7th).
Any further questions can be directed to the Director of Sports.

If you'd like to read the rules of the game, you can find the PDF here: Game Rules

Laurence Rivard
MES Sports Chair

Old 11-23-2010 at 09:45 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Playing Assassins is one of the best parts of Frost Week, I love this game! I don't know if I'd have the time to play right before exams though :(
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:55 PM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

what is "poisoning" in the context of this game? And what if the person feels offended if somebody pins them? Like...it'd be awkward if i touch a female's boobs while pinning her, right? :p

Other than that, I am definitely gonna play this

Last edited by Afzal : 11-23-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:01 PM   #4
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
what is "poisoning" in the context of this game? And what if the person feels offended if somebody pins them? Like...it'd be awkward if i touch a female's boobs while pinning her, right? :p

Other than that, I am definitely gonna play this
From the 'Game Rules' PDF in the OP:

"The second way is by poison. To poison your target, you must place a sticker under their drinking cup/can/bottle (etc) or their food plate/platter/bowl (etc). Once they take a drink or bite after the sticker has been placed, they become poisoned. If they remove the sticker before drinking or eating, your target lives on, your plan has been foiled and you’ll have to try again. Stickers can be obtained from the Drain or the Director of Sports."

___

The game sounds really interesting. I'd love to play it...but how in the world are you supposed to find your opponent? I mean, yea you can search them up on the net and what not, but it's highly unlikely that you'd find their timetable or their position on campus at any one point in time.

For those who previously took part in this, how'd you guys do it?

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-23-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:11 PM   #5
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
From the 'Game Rules' PDF in the OP:

"The second way is by poison. To poison your target, you must place a sticker under their drinking cup/can/bottle (etc) or their food plate/platter/bowl (etc). Once they take a drink or bite after the sticker has been placed, they become poisoned. If they remove the sticker before drinking or eating, your target lives on, your plan has been foiled and you’ll have to try again. Stickers can be obtained from the Drain or the Director of Sports."

___

The game sounds really interesting. I'd love to play it...but how in the world are you supposed to find your opponent? I mean, yea you can search them up on the net and what not, but it's highly unlikely that you'd find their timetable or their position on campus at any one point in time.

A good majority of engineering classes--especially upper-year ones-- have only one section. Lurking through Facebook and whatnot could tell you what program and year they're in, or at least give you an idea.

ie. If somebody is in, say, 3rd year electrical engineering, you could find they have EE 3EJ4 at 8:30am on a Wednesday. Lurk the class before/after or even sit in and you'd be able to nab them.

Old 11-23-2010 at 10:13 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

oh...so pinning isn't what I thought it was LOL.

My uber-stalking skills will come in handy in this one. Must remove my pic(s) from MI

Last edited by Afzal : 11-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:14 PM   #7
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
A good majority of engineering classes--especially upper-year ones-- have only one section. Lurking through Facebook and whatnot could tell you what program and year they're in, or at least give you an idea.

ie. If somebody is in, say, 3rd year electrical engineering, you could find they have EE 3EJ4 at 8:30am on a Wednesday. Lurk the class before/after or even sit in and you'd be able to nab them.
Sadly, Life Science students have classes such as Psych and Chem, with as much as or more than 60 different sections. And I'm sure we won't be paired with others from the same faculty. So I'll probably be paired with someone who, outside of the game, I might never meet in my entire stay here at Mac.
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:24 PM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:

I saw a report on this game over the summer taking place in huge cities, where you get a name, address, and photo and that's about it - you have to find your target in a huge city and shoot them with a water gun.

I'm sure you could find someone on campus

(http://www.streetwars.net/)
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:28 PM   #9
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I saw a report on this game over the summer taking place in huge cities, where you get a name, address, and photo and that's about it - you have to find your target in a huge city and shoot them with a water gun.
Big giveaway. Google Maps and you're done.

However, just a name and a campus of over 20,000 student? Bloody difficult.
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:31 PM   #10
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
However, just a name and a campus of over 20,000 student? Bloody difficult.
Your name, department and year will be given to your assassin.

RTFM

(but yes, still hard. that's the point.)
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:34 PM   #11
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Sounds like fun