MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus Xonar 7.1 Sound Card 25$! sale ends soon kevinf Gaming 0 02-22-2010 02:31 PM
SOLAR Problems kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-20-2008 10:44 AM

Asus G74SX Problems

Old 01-03-2012 at 11:52 PM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Asus G74SX Problems
Okay, I think I got scammed or something by Asus. It is the most unreliable laptop I have ever bought, I swear to God.

Not even a month passed since I got this laptop (23rd of Dec.) and already I ran into a myriad of issues, not to mention that many others posted similar issues on the ROG site. Issues include keyboard lag, touchpad issues, LAN components "disappearing" from Device Manager until you reset the power, keyboard stores being missed due to poor keyboard design, etc.

Anyone else ever had any of these issues? From my understanding, it's only the G74SX that has these problems, and I have spent hours on the ROG site hoping to get some help, but everyone else is on the same boat.

I am actually considering returning this to eBay or Asus (if possible), or reselling this or whatever, and getting a Toshiba Qosmio instead; from personal experience, Toshiba laptops seemed to work best for me, and they are built better.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Btw, for those not familiar with ROG, it's the gaming division, for lack of better words, of Asus. I guess. Or something of the like.
Old 01-03-2012 at 11:59 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

if anything it is still under warranty. ask for a full replacement
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:02 AM   #3
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Silly question, but how do.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:07 AM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Or a full refund if possible, or request a different model.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:14 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Bottom of ur computer there is a serial number and... another number i forgot. Also when/where you ordered you got an order number. Call the reseller give them the order number and say you arent satisfied/faulty blabla. They might ask you for your serial number to confirm your pc to the order. They'll give you an RMA or something ask you to ship it etc (they pay since under warranty) and ull get it back.

For future reference if your warranty expires, the burden gets transferred to the company. same procedures but you pay shipping.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:26 AM   #6
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Oh. I got it from Amazon so I have all my receipts and stuff somewhere in my emails, and I have my order history in my account, so I can refer to that too.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:27 AM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I'd return it. Chances are that a replacement will have the same problems. You would have to call them, wait for a week or so; it's just not worth the hassle in my opinion.

I was having problems with an Asus laptop I bought for first year, returned it and bought a Toshiba instead. Still working great after a year!
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:34 AM   #8
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

~______~; *sigh* Well, in the past, I've had bad experiences with Toshiba only in terms of driver downloads (since they never seem to update their damn drivers on their site, and with regards to ATI cards, you have to download them from Toshiba, not AMD). But their new Qosmio has an nVidia card, so I might not be running into the same problems as my older laptop. Plus, Toshiba has way better speakers than Asus's laptops.

My only real worry, regardless, is that I won't be able to upgrade my Toshiba myself; Asus actually lets you upgrade everything - RAM and Graphics. Iunno if the same applies to Toshiba's Qosmio line.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:44 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I had similar issues you had, and I did something, and now everything is perfect. I honestly don't remember what I did, it was a software thing... you're an industrious fellow, I'm sure you can stumble upon something.. :/
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:52 AM   #10
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I had similar issues you had, and I did something, and now everything is perfect. I honestly don't remember what I did, it was a software thing... you're an industrious fellow, I'm sure you can stumble upon something.. :/
Not sure if trolling or genuinely forgetful. But I guess I'll give Google a go.
Old 01-04-2012 at 01:42 AM   #11
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Well, can't say I found anything useful, though I did find a new (possibly better) laptop that I might get if I am able to get a refund on my Crapsus.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product... E16834152301
Old 01-04-2012 at 01:45 AM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

like i said in the first post of ur pc scramble. asus and msi are both good companies. best out there. it just seems that you had bad luck
Old 01-04-2012 at 01:57 AM   #13
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
like i said in the first post of ur pc scramble. asus and msi are both good companies. best out there. it just seems that you had bad luck
Indeed. I need to decide by Friday if I am actually going to try to return my laptop or not. But I need sleep first.
Old 01-04-2012 at 08:47 AM   #14
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

That's so shitty :\
Old 01-04-2012 at 10:09 AM   #15
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Indeed it is. :/