MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus Xonar 7.1 Sound Card 25$! sale ends soon kevinf Gaming 0 02-22-2010 02:31 PM
SOLAR Problems kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-20-2008 10:44 AM

Asus G74SX Problems

Old 01-04-2012 at 10:13 AM   #16
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Return it and get an Alienware. I got an m11x r3 and I love it. No problems whatsoever and it can handle everything I throw at it.
Old 01-04-2012 at 10:20 AM   #17
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prodigy View Post
Return it and get an Alienware. I got an m11x r3 and I love it. No problems whatsoever and it can handle everything I throw at it.
Can't afford Alienware. o_O; Way too expensive and overpriced.

Also, Iunno if Amazon offers returns/refunds on laptops. :/
Old 01-04-2012 at 11:42 AM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You know, you sound like the perfect person to get a Mac. Jus sayin.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:03 PM   #19
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
o_O Macs are overpriced...even moreso than Alienware.
Old 01-04-2012 at 12:23 PM   #20
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Not sure if troll or just oblivious...
Old 01-04-2012 at 01:11 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
Not sure if troll or just oblivious...
I don't know what you're trying to say, but I mentioned Macs because they're easy to use and he can't seem to troubleshoot too well. I totally forsaw you making this thread though.

Some Asus mobos have software issues related to the software that connects things like the keyboard, wireless adapter, ports, etc that don't go through much inspection when they're built to mix and match with random laptop component setups. I got an update for whatever software that Asus uses for dealing with the adapter, etc, updated a bunch of service pack thing for windows, and did some troubleshooting (click where your wireless icon shows up and click troubleshoot and play around with that) and I finally got it to work smoothly. Apple products don't have these kind of issues because they're cookie cutter designs.

I'm sorry I can't provide any specific solutions because the details of what I did escapes me.
Old 01-04-2012 at 01:30 PM   #22
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Well, I can troubleshoot fine; it's just that even with the latest updates, bios, etc., and when things literally disappear so you can't troubleshoot them, it really makes me wonder just what the hell.

And yeah, Asus mixed and matched random crap. The LAN is Realtek; WLAN is Atheros. Intel Core i7. Graphics is nVidia. Sound is also Realtek. Touchpad is one thing; keyboard is something else...Nothing matches lol.
Old 01-04-2012 at 01:32 PM   #23
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
I don't know what you're trying to say, but I mentioned Macs because they're easy to use and he can't seem to troubleshoot too well. I totally forsaw you making this thread though.

Some Asus mobos have software issues related to the software that connects things like the keyboard, wireless adapter, ports, etc that don't go through much inspection when they're built to mix and match with random laptop component setups. I got an update for whatever software that Asus uses for dealing with the adapter, etc, updated a bunch of service pack thing for windows, and did some troubleshooting (click where your wireless icon shows up and click troubleshoot and play around with that) and I finally got it to work smoothly. Apple products don't have these kind of issues because they're cookie cutter designs.

I'm sorry I can't provide any specific solutions because the details of what I did escapes me.
A week or two ago Adelais was asking on macinsiders about high end gaming laptops for under $3000. Just based on the laptop hes talking about there is no way in hell a mac could do what this laptop can do.

As much as it sucks that the laptop is all weird the uprgradeability of it is a trade off a lot of people would prefer to easier troubleshooting. The thing with macs is if you have a hardware failure you are completely screwed since you can't just replace parts

EDIT: actually ya my post was kinda rude sorry
Old 01-04-2012 at 02:04 PM   #24
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Well, I can troubleshoot fine; it's just that even with the latest updates, bios, etc., and when things literally disappear so you can't troubleshoot them, it really makes me wonder just what the hell.

And yeah, Asus mixed and matched random crap. The LAN is Realtek; WLAN is Atheros. Intel Core i7. Graphics is nVidia. Sound is also Realtek. Touchpad is one thing; keyboard is something else...Nothing matches lol.
I was disappointed with Atheros, but the rest of the companies that were randomly matched tend to have very good reps.

I doubt you can get a full refund seeing as most places just send you replacement, but I'd email Asus to ask for a refund or a replacement. If they won't give you a refund, see if they will replace it with another similar price model since based on what you said, it is mostly just that model.
Old 01-04-2012 at 02:05 PM   #25
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@ryanc

I dont know if you are trolling or not knowing windows users are handicapped first time they use a mac
Old 01-04-2012 at 02:34 PM   #26
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

... why the hell would you expect all the components to come entirely from one manufacturer? Components don't 'match' in a computer. Different companies make specific things (i.e. ATI for graphics, Broadcom/Atheros for wireless, realtek for LAN .etc).

Asus specializes in motherboards (which are also made out of other companies components) and laptops.

It's like expecting that everything in your car was manufactured entirely by one company.
Old 01-04-2012 at 03:00 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

I was really just making a comment on the fact that Apple (or say, dell) products are well tested by the consumer base since theres little variablitity in the setup, compared to a 'company' such as Asus. If you constantly build computers using random setups, there will inevitibly be unforseen incompatibilities, and if you have so many different builds, theres less of a chance of enough users encountering the issue for it to be discovered or documented. Either way, bring it to a nerdy friend to get it fixed.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 01-04-2012 at 03:01 PM   #28
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I was responding to this, but was too lazy to quote:

Quote:
Any computer ever is gonna be like that.
Old 01-04-2012 at 03:53 PM   #29
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Honestly, I think it was just bad luck. I had a g53 before and had no problems with it. ASUS is a very good brand. I have to ask though, why did you buy such an expensive laptop online? You should always buy it in person from a store.
Old 01-04-2012 at 04:00 PM   #30
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I was responding to this, but was too lazy to quote:

Any computer ever is gonna be like that.
Well, in my last laptop, both my LAN and WLAN were from Intel, as well as my Bluetooth, whereas here I have Intel, Atheros, and some other thing...