Is avenue down? noghi Academics 6 10-26-2010 09:14 PM
New course on Avenue danzai Academics 5 09-20-2010 06:42 PM

Avenue is going to be DOWN ?

Old 12-09-2010 at 12:46 AM   #15
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danallan View Post
if you're studying between 11pm and 1am for a 9am exam the next day...you're doing it wrong.
Not necessarily, if you study before hand and study again before the exam that's not wrong at all. I know I retain information better when I review it before an exam. I was also planning on reviewing online lectures before the exam whether it be from 11pm-1am or 4am-6am before 9am

Old 12-09-2010 at 12:49 AM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
I think it's the fact is that this resource is supposed to be available at all times. Regardless of if it's 2 hours or not, couldn't they have scheduled this like last week? Or during the break? I'm sure no one's going to be checking Avenue them, so do it then =/!

Old 12-09-2010 at 09:06 AM   #17
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times
Im pretty sure avenue is hosted offsite, its only the login process which goes through mac, so that being said if your logged in before 11, I dont think you will notice anything, unless avenue uses Orion as well......

but, dont quote me if you miss your 3 hours of studying

Old 12-09-2010 at 09:13 AM   #18
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
i think he's talking about online lectures, you could always record them tho
Oh I see, I've never had those so I hadn't even thought of that.

Old 12-09-2010 at 04:30 PM   #19
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times
honestly, you shouldn't be pulling all nighters anyways people. Sleeping helps your brain process the information that you've taken in for the day.... so use the 2 hrs that avenue and what not is down for and take a nap.
chill

Old 12-09-2010 at 04:40 PM   #20
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkozina View Post
honestly, you shouldn't be pulling all nighters anyways people. Sleeping helps your brain process the information that you've taken in for the day.... so use the 2 hrs that avenue and what not is down for and take a nap.
chill
Well...in some cases it makes perfeclty good sense to do so. Like for instance, I plan to start studying for psych at 8pm on friday. Probly wont sleep that night and write the exam at 9am. Got more important exams to worry about which are before that (today/tomorrow)...so yeah.

ikantsepll, shes-a-diva* like this.

Old 12-09-2010 at 08:32 PM   #21
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times
...doesn't this mean that all INTERNET is going to be down on campus during this time, or am i totally misinterpreting this. =/

Old 12-09-2010 at 10:10 PM   #22
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times
It actually states that the you cant get on if youroutside of Mac.
That's specifically what it says so I'm assuming for us rez students that we'll be fine.

Old 12-09-2010 at 10:22 PM   #23
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
It actually states that the you cant get on if youroutside of Mac.
That's specifically what it says so I'm assuming for us rez students that we'll be fine.
no if ORION is going down, students on campus will lose their internet connection, you will however be able to access local resources such as MUSS, and MUGSI (if they are hosted at McMaster).

Again, dont quote me

Old 12-09-2010 at 10:26 PM   #24
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times
Ah, but a TA on my psych discussion also said internet would not affect people on campus and only people off campus.
And with the actual thing stating that only outside of Mac you can't access, I don't think it will. But we'll have to see tomorrow then I guess.

Old 12-09-2010 at 10:33 PM   #25
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
Ah, but a TA on my psych discussion also said internet would not affect people on campus and only people off campus.
And with the actual thing stating that only outside of Mac you can't access, I don't think it will. But we'll have to see tomorrow then I guess.
...access to McMaster resources, including DTC and MIP, from within McMaster will remain unaffected.

im pretty sure ORION carries traffic to MACs ISP in Toronto, therefore anyone on campus will ONLY be able to access LOCAL resources..therefore no Internet

but yes, we will see tmrw

Old 12-09-2010 at 10:45 PM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
While I'm not too upset about this (I can just download any files from Avenue if I plan on studying during that time), I wonder why they chose to do this now? I know it was ORION, not Avenue, but still.. they know this is exam time. I wonder why they couldn't do it earlier or later in the month.

Old 12-09-2010 at 10:59 PM   #27
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times
Hmm, this will probably be like nov 8 when the internet was down for on-campus except access to mac sites (opp off campus). I guess that FORCES people on campus to study? =/

Old 12-09-2010 at 11:03 PM   #28
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Hmm, this will probably be like nov 8 when the internet was down for on-campus except access to mac sites (opp off campus). I guess that FORCES people on campus to study? =/
there's always a way to procrastinate studying

Old 12-10-2010 at 12:52 AM   #29
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
there's always a way to procrastinate studying
Lol yea...always..*procra stinating as I type this*

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search