One grade point shy from staying at Mac Tucson Academics 24 04-29-2012 03:47 AM
Staying back for a term? volatile. Academics 4 07-18-2010 03:34 PM
Staying in res second year mike_2133 General Discussion 4 12-28-2007 03:34 PM

Average for staying in Eng?

Old 12-14-2013 at 03:23 PM   #1
Briere

Liked: 2 Times

Average for staying in Eng?
I am currently in SECOND year mac eng and I am wondering if we still have to have above a 4.0 average to stay in our selected course??

link for proof would also be great.
Old 12-14-2013 at 03:36 PM   #2
Briere

anyone have any idea?
Old 12-14-2013 at 03:38 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

You need to maintain a CA of 4 each year to remain in engineering. Since you're in second year, they will look at your CA at the end of this year (not the end of this semester) and if you have a 4 or higher you're good to go, otherwise they will put you on probation.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-14/pg135.html
Old 12-14-2013 at 03:41 PM   #4
Briere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
You need to maintain a CA of 4 each year to remain in engineering. Since you're in second year, they will look at your CA at the end of this year (not the end of this semester) and if you have a 4 or higher you're good to go, otherwise they will put you on probation.
I have never been on 'probation' what does that entail ? And do my marks from first year count as well or are they only looking at my 2nd year marks?
Old 12-14-2013 at 03:45 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Take a look at the link i posted. They look at your grades from all years, that's what CA means.
Old 12-14-2013 at 03:53 PM   #6
Briere

Quote:
Take a look at the link i posted. They look at your grades from all years, that's what CA means.
what is the average where it just looks at this years marks then ? ?
Old 12-14-2013 at 04:02 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere View Post
what is the average where it just looks at this years marks then ? ?
That's called sessional average (SA), which includes the grades that you received during both terms (Fall/Winter).
Old 12-14-2013 at 04:04 PM   #8
Briere

Quote:
That's called sessional average (SA), which includes the grades that you received during both terms (Fall/Winter).
sorry for asking so many bloody questions but it seems like most things are CA, what is the SA used for? I just want to make sure I have my bases covered.
Old 12-14-2013 at 04:10 PM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere View Post
sorry for asking so many bloody questions but it seems like most things are CA, what is the SA used for? I just want to make sure I have my bases covered.
Sessional average has nothing to do with evaluation purposes, like deciding if you're good to go or not. I can't think of many uses other than for scholarship purposes. I am sure there are more..
For your case, they will look at your CA at the end of this year and if you have a 4 you're good to go.

Edit: Okay, they use SA in first year to decided if you're eligible to continue and what program you're eligible to go to. For your case, and for any upper year it's all about the CA.

Last edited by jim1 : 12-14-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2013 at 06:52 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Nothing for sessional just shows ur individual performance per year. Just worry about your CA
Old 12-15-2013 at 09:22 AM   #11
alex47

Liked: 0 Times

Level II and above ENG probation
Copied the following from the 2013/14 Undergrad calendar......

B.Eng., B.A.Sc. Programs: To be admitted to a Level II Engineering program, you must have completed all non-elective Engineering I courses with a minimum Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0. Admission to Level II Honours Business Informatics requires completion of the minimum requirements for these individual programs as stated within the Faculty of Engineering section in this Calendar.

In Level II and above, you must maintain a CA of at least 4.0 to continue in an Engineering program or in the Honours Computer Science or Honours Business Informatics programs. If you have a CA of 3.0 to 3.9, you may not continue in the Faculty. If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University.