MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health and aging courses - 3E03 - ETHICAL ISSUES IN HEALTH AND AGING, iki_31 Academics 3 05-31-2010 05:32 PM

B.A in Health, aging and society..

Old 04-08-2010 at 03:41 PM   #1
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

B.A in Health, aging and society..
Has anyone here been in or is in the health, aging and society program at McMaster? I'm planning to do a B.A in health aging and society and then in second year will decide if I really want to transfer into the Honours in Health Studies program. So I was just curious if anyone liked it or not
Old 04-08-2010 at 05:41 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Health, Aging and Society is a relatively new program at Mac; less than three years if I am not mistaken. It is also a small program, which is really beneficial since you will have smaller classes and are more able to interact with your professors.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-08-2010 at 11:10 PM   #3
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

thankss
Old 04-09-2010 at 11:47 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I have a friend graduating from the program this spring, and she's really liked it. She's looking to do work in Health Promotions.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-09-2010 at 12:43 PM   #5
MLSA29

Liked: 1 Time

Hi there,

I am graduating in the spring from the health, aging and society program (specifically in Honours gerontology) but I have taken some health studies courses as well. I have really enjoyed the program especially related to small class sizes. This is beneficial because you are able to get to know your classmates and your professors as well. Experiential education is an important element in health, aging and society (I think more in gerontology than health studies though); experiential education is great because it allows you to work in the community and network. If you choose to complete your honours BA, health studies majors have the option to write an undergraduate thesis.

Another beneficial factor is that health studies and gerontology are both multidisciplinary so the learning is taught through many different disciplines (e.g. psychology, sociology, anthropology, biology, etc.). This means that there are lots of time for electives which is nice to suit your interests.

I highly recommend the program, it has been an amazing four years.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.