MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-11-2009 at 06:25 PM   #1
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

B.Sc.Kin or B.Kin
Hey,

I was wondering what is the difference between B.Sc.Kin & B.Kin...I know that with the B.Sc.Kin (which i want to do) you have to take several other courses ..but I want to know what exactly is the difference, is there an advantage, is it better...since I want to go into health care? kindof confused and I can't find the answer to my question anywhere

Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2009 at 12:21 AM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

As someone who took 3 years of Kin, and took the "B.Sc" stream (which is now called the B.Sc.Kin stream), I heard the guidance counsellors etc. say there's no difference...neither is seen as 'superior' to the other.

This is a bunch of crap. If there were no difference, why would there be two streams? Haha...so what is the difference exactly?

Well, there are two answers, and I hope at least one will help you;

1) Kin is a veeeeeeeery broad subject. I think you had to take a 1KL0, introductory level course in first term right? It introduced you to the various streams of Kin...things like Psychomotor Behaviour, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics/Ergonomics and Sports Medicine are part of the "Sciencey" side of Kin and thus if you're interested in those things you'd want to take B.Sc.Kin.

If instead you're more into the Sociology of Sport/History/Philosophy of Kinesiology "Social sciencey" side of Kin, B.Kin is right for you.

2) I personally think (and probably grad school etc. agree) that B.Sc.Kin is superior to B.Kin...I mean, it'd have to be right? You complete the requirements of B.Kin, "and then some." Science degrees are generally seen as 'degrees in critical thinking.' Although any degree is good, for some reason people see a science degree and assume you're better trained for certain jobs...at least that's what they seemed to say at last year's B.Sc convocation (these aren't my personal opinion, they're someone else's xD).

Health Care is definitely a profession you'd want to go into with a science degree...even though some schools don't 'require' one, many do.

Last edited by Mowicz : 01-12-2009 at 12:24 AM.