MacInsiders Logo
Old 12-09-2010 at 01:32 AM   #1
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

BA vs. BSc
Hi guise. next year I'm planning on applying for Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour which offers both BA and BSc. Currently I'm a Soc Sci student, but I can meet the prereqs to get into the Science program if I take Physics + a summer school course. If I do this, I can switch to the BSc program during 3rd year, since the BA and BSc require to take the exact same courses [confirmed by academic adviser].

Anyways, my question is: When it comes to looking for a job, does it matter if I have a BA or BSc? I did some research and apparently in Psych. what really matters when looking for employment is what you do after your Bachelor's. So is it worth it to switch from BA to BSc? For some reason I always thought employers would prefer someone with a BSc, but I'm not sure if this is right.

I'm gonna go talk to an academic adviser, but I though I'd get MI's advice too

Last edited by Mepper : 12-09-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2010 at 01:51 AM   #2
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Hi guise. next year I'm planning on applying for Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour which offers both BA and BSc. Currently I'm a Soc Sci student, but I can meet the prereqs to get into the Science program if I take Physics + a summer school course. If I do this, I can switch to the BSc program during 3rd year, since the BA and BSc require to take the exact same courses [confirmed by academic adviser].

Anyways, my question is: When it comes to looking for a job, does it matter if I have a BA or BSc? I did some research and apparently in Psych. what really matters when looking for employment is what you do after your Bachelor's. So is it worth it to switch from BA to BSc? For some reason I always thought employers would prefer someone with a BSc, but I'm not sure if this is right.

I'm gonna go talk to an academic adviser, but I though I'd get MI's advise too
I really don't think it matters if all upper year courses are the same TBH. The only thing I can see it making a difference in is maybe grad school? But I have no facts to support that.

Mepper says thanks to shes-a-diva* for this post.
Old 12-09-2010 at 02:19 AM   #3
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

When it comes to Psychology, BSc is arguably a lot better. I'm not an expert but from my understanding your job options are limited with a BA. You can't actually become a Psychologist with a BA, unless you go to grad school. I think.

Mepper says thanks to bcars for this post.
Old 12-09-2010 at 02:26 AM   #4
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

i would assume a BA is more general than the BSc
in the end, if you already know what you want to get into, the decision would be a lot easier to answer

Mepper says thanks to AlexBatt for this post.
Old 12-09-2010 at 02:27 AM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Generally speaking a BSc is looked upon more highly than a BA which will open more doors for you after undergrad (whether you go directly into the work force or do Grad School). If you're planning to do Graduate school in Applied Psychology (Clinical, Counselling, Industrial/Organizational, etc) then it wont matter if you're a BA of BSc as long as you're a psych major. If you want to do psych research in Grad a BSc might help, but your prior research experience will matter much more than whether you're a BA or BSc.

Basically, you should go for the BSc to be safe, but a BA isn't significantly worse than a BSc in Psych.

Mepper says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

Mepper likes this.
Old 12-09-2010 at 02:43 PM   #6
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
i would assume a BA is more general than the BSc
in the end, if you already know what you want to get into, the decision would be a lot easier to answer
Nah, the only difference between the BA and BSc is what you take in 1st year, and in BSc you have to take a Lab Course in Level III. As far as I know, all the other prereqs are the same.

Also, thanks a lot for your help Tailsnake, useful post
Old 12-09-2010 at 02:48 PM   #7
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

not this again.....

<12 chars>
Old 12-09-2010 at 05:05 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Just to reiterate what Tailsnake said. What aspects of Psychology do you like more? Are you more into the physiology of the brain/neuroscience or the social and applied aspects of it? The feeling I get from most people is that a BSc opens up more opportunities for you. And if the case is only a few courses in first year, I would take the science courses and apply for a BSc just to be safe. It's easier to go from a BSc to graduate school in applied Psych for example than from a BA to A Master's in Neuroscience from example, based on the basic knowledge and whatnot that you'll get in undergrad. Also for second year, try and get into a lab (volunteer) to get hands on experience as to what subjects in psych interest you more than others.

Mepper says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Mepper likes this.