MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Romantic idea PHLN Dating & Relationships 17 02-27-2011 02:39 AM
Christmas dinner idea... _Luu_ Body & Food 0 11-25-2010 07:45 PM
Best club idea? Sasha Clubs & Groups 3 07-11-2009 06:17 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

Bad idea to keep a course conflict?

Old 08-13-2011 at 06:42 AM   #1
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Bad idea to keep a course conflict?
Unfortunately, biochem 2ee3 lectures are at the same time as Chem eng 2a04.

I was wondering if keeping this conflict would be a bad thing? Both courses are required except biochem is usually taken in third year.

Ive heard biochem lectures are really useless so there is no point in going, but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-13-2011 at 07:23 AM   #2
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I wouldn't keep the conflict. You really don't know what you'll be missing in lecture even if it might be considered 'useless.' However, if that isn't a good reason for you and you want to keep it... just be careful that in the unfortunate event that you happen to have in-class midterms for both these classes on the same day/time. That'll be a problem!
Old 08-13-2011 at 07:37 AM   #3
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

I took BIOCHEM 2EE3 and actually thought that I needed to go to lectures. His slides are kind of useless because it's usually just a figure (which he doesn't even put into the slides due to copyright issues so he just puts "Fig 24.1" in that space) and then a sentence.
Old 08-13-2011 at 08:18 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Would you take 8 hundred dollar bills and light them on fire?

dsalvatore, hellonewyork like this.
Old 08-13-2011 at 10:01 AM   #5
sweetrachel

Liked: 6 Times

I'm having the same problem except only 1 of the lectures is in conflict... Do you think that's an okay idea? Ugh...
Old 08-13-2011 at 11:12 AM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

If you're in the Faculty of Science, and even if just one lecture is in conflict, the Dean's office will follow up with you past the Drop/Add deadline or sometime around then as you are not permitted to enroll in the conflict.

In terms of engineering, one of my Engineering friends did mention that he knew people who were registered in conflicts. I still wouldn't recommend it though. If Biochem is taken in 3rd year, I'd stick with that. Might just make your life easier and you may be able to take a course you were looking forward to right now. Engineering and Biochem are not identical in the way they are taught and you may find going to lectures incredibly helpful.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

sweetrachel says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-13-2011 at 12:23 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
I wouldn't keep the conflict. You really don't know what you'll be missing in lecture even if it might be considered 'useless.' However, if that isn't a good reason for you and you want to keep it... just be careful that in the unfortunate event that you happen to have in-class midterms for both these classes on the same day/time. That'll be a problem!
It can also happen with exams.
Old 08-13-2011 at 02:18 PM   #8
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

I did this for physics and english in my last year of undergrad, they were both rather skippable lectures (one was online, one was pointless), and it worked out quite well for me
Old 08-13-2011 at 02:40 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

The Biochem midterms were during class time, so I don't really recommend staying in the conflict. Your best bet would be to take Biochem2EE3 in 3rd year instead.

L'Étoile says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:02 PM   #10
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Yes I think the best thing to do is to drop 2EE3 for now and take it later in the summer. You really can't have a conflict its not good and the as sara mentioned the tests are during class time, and he tells you during class time the things that might show up in the test (he is very hard to hear, imagine listening to a very strong russian accent) but you might pick up few things. I suggest you drop it and take it in the summer. Its actually better in the summer, just memorize that shit for 2 months and BOOM done. this whole course was memorizing stupid facts, numbers etc so I suggest you take it during the summer.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-13-2011 at 04:11 PM   #11
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

This seems to be such a popular question today, so ill just past what I told the last guy:

Im not sure if your conflicting mandatory sections (like 2 labs you have to be at no matter what) or if its just 2 lectures etc...

In my last year before I graduated I conflicted english and physics which was fine bc english lec was useless and physics was online, and i managed quite well. Other than that situation I think it would be a poor decision to have conflicting courses, unless of course you have an established buddy study system, in which case go right ahead.

Source: I'm a graduate student, ive gone through the whole mess of undergrad. If your interested in grad/med school for the future and you have questions, visit my blog www.insideminds.tk and leave me a comment or pm me on this forum. I usually answer within a day or so. good luck