MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matthews Hall 2010: Introduce yourself! amitoj Matthews Hall Forum 29 04-12-2012 04:15 PM
bates questions Chevalier Bates Forum 32 08-28-2010 10:31 AM
Bates '09 Chad Bates Forum 58 09-06-2009 12:14 PM
Bates '08 Chad Bates Forum 29 08-22-2008 11:38 AM
Bates Hall '07 lorend Bates Forum 92 06-19-2008 06:15 AM

Bates - Introduce yourself! 2010

Old 06-30-2010 at 01:24 PM   #31
R_21

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli13 View Post
I'm in 310 Same as you Robbyn!
Bates was my first choice because you get an entire living space to work with. Personal and social all in one!
--

Hi Olivia! Your room will probably be across from mine! Can't wait to move in I wonder if anyone else knows each other from before other than us!

Last edited by R_21 : 06-30-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2010 at 01:30 PM   #32
R_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
Just a tip: Try keeping your apartments as clean as possible. Once it starts getting cold, mice start looking for places to live. And what better place than a Bates kitchen!

Have fun cooking though! I find Bates to be such an awesome residence in terms of leading an independent lifestyle. Each residence does have their own pros and cons, and one of the pros that I always loved about Bates is the independence it gives you because it really does imitate an apartment-style building. Enjoy Bates!
--
Hi Pink! Are you in Bates as well for your third year?
Would you rate Bates as an overall clean building?

From your past experience at Bates, how would you say Bates is in terms of it being live/social?
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:51 PM   #33
PinkSapphire

Liked: 4 Times

Hi Robbyn!
I'm glad you're happy with Bates! In all honesty though, Bates is one of those residences that really depends on the people living in it. Because it is very independent-driven, there's not much maintenance or cleaning staff that goes around the building. That being said, because it is very independent, and because it is one of the large residences on campus, you get your fair share of parties, and hence why it gets labelled the party rez with Brandon. Fact of the matter is, once it's quiet hours, it's quiet hours, and some people learn that the hard way.

So your answer to your question on Bates being social.. It's a yes and a no. Yes it's very sociable because if you put in the effort, you can easily have others for a company easily baking cookies (so excited for you, I loved doing that last year, by the way) and dinner and stuff. But it's also a no, because, unlike other residences, once it gets busy, students start using their own kitchens to lessen their time to socialize in order to do more work. Personally, I think it's all in the attitude!

Have fun in Batess!
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:34 PM   #34
R_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire View Post
Hi Robbyn!
I'm glad you're happy with Bates! In all honesty though, Bates is one of those residences that really depends on the people living in it. Because it is very independent-driven, there's not much maintenance or cleaning staff that goes around the building. That being said, because it is very independent, and because it is one of the large residences on campus, you get your fair share of parties, and hence why it gets labelled the party rez with Brandon. Fact of the matter is, once it's quiet hours, it's quiet hours, and some people learn that the hard way.

So your answer to your question on Bates being social.. It's a yes and a no. Yes it's very sociable because if you put in the effort, you can easily have others for a company easily baking cookies (so excited for you, I loved doing that last year, by the way) and dinner and stuff. But it's also a no, because, unlike other residences, once it gets busy, students start using their own kitchens to lessen their time to socialize in order to do more work. Personally, I think it's all in the attitude!

Have fun in Batess!
--

According to what you've told me, sounds like I will definitely enjoy my time in Bates! If everyone works together, i'm sure the apartments will be maintained properly. You must've had an awesome time. Thanks for the information by the way Will you be in Bates this year as well?
Old 07-01-2010 at 12:32 AM   #35
MaryS

Liked: 17 Times

So, who's up for some Bates welcome week partying!?
Old 07-01-2010 at 07:49 AM   #36
R_21

Ideas for Welcome Week Partying!
Definitely up for some partying! Whoever is, we should all come up with ideas and decide what to do. Everyone needs to have some fun before classes begin! I personally think there should be something organized for people to socialize and get to know each other... sort of like a res party? Or maybe somewhere in Downtown, Hamilton!

What are your ideas everyone?
Old 07-01-2010 at 01:46 PM   #37
Sayora

Liked: 1 Time

Robbyn: Yay baking parties!

No clue about socials during welcome week lal, seems like there's quite a bit of activity going on eitherways XD
Old 07-01-2010 at 05:04 PM   #38
oli13

I do love parties And from what I hear, Bates is party central!
Old 07-01-2010 at 09:19 PM   #39
juntom10
I'm cool. You know that.

Liked: 7 Times

LOL
Everyone loves partehhhhh!
Old 07-01-2010 at 10:58 PM   #40
MaryS

Liked: 17 Times

WooHoo! I like how this thread has livened up! I'm totally with you R_21. Let's plan something for Welcome Week! I know that there will be tons of events already taking place but for all those in Bates who'd like to do something fun to get to know each other

Any ideas?!
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:19 PM   #41
Emily V

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in 310!
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:28 PM   #42
Emily V

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitygambi View Post
Bates 303
Hey
I'm on the same floor as you and also in kin!
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:38 PM   #43
R_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayora View Post
Robbyn: Yay baking parties!

No clue about socials during welcome week lal, seems like there's quite a bit of activity going on eitherways XD
--

Whoever enjoys baking can join in regardless of whether they'd like to bake or not

I'm sure we can all organize a 'get to know each other' party for everyone in Bates and any other residences that would like to attend even though there are some activites being held during welcome week!
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:43 PM   #44
R_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by juntom10 View Post
LOL
Everyone loves partehhhhh!
I hope so How has mac partying been for you Jun? Looks like you're going into your third year so you definitely must know!
Old 07-02-2010 at 12:28 AM   #45
R_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
WooHoo! I like how this thread has livened up! I'm totally with you R_21. Let's plan something for Welcome Week! I know that there will be tons of events already taking place but for all those in Bates who'd like to do something fun to get to know each other

Any ideas?!
--

Most definitely, we can all decide on whatever ideas are contributed to welcome week!
Well there's bars/pubs/lounges/clubs or something can be done around Bates.

Here are two links for bars/clubs nearby:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1736 9
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1737 0

Since it's the first week, I think maybe we can all start off by attending a night at a pub/bar or even the campus bar itself. Everyone should contribute their ideas! I'm sure there are good ideas out there