MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-23-2011 at 07:01 PM   #1
jenpower

Liked: 7 Times

Bathrooms
What's the bathroom situation like? Are any of the bathrooms connected to the rooms or are they all separate? How many people share a bathroom?

I really wanted my own washroom. Applied the day of for LP, didn't get it. Pretty bummed.
Old 06-23-2011 at 07:06 PM   #2
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

What res are you in?

Old 06-23-2011 at 07:09 PM   #3
jenpower

Liked: 7 Times

McKay, which is why I posted it in the McKay Forum
Old 06-23-2011 at 07:24 PM   #4
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpower View Post
McKay, which is why I posted it in the McKay Forum
If you look at the pictures from the McKay hall page, the washrooms appear to be single occupants ones. I assume its like Hedden Hall where there are multiple single washrooms spread across the floor. So its almost like having your own washroom.
http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...ngs/mckay.html
Old 06-23-2011 at 07:35 PM   #5
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

I lived in McKay and the bathroom is situation is one of the best out of all the residences. They are single washrooms, unlike shared bathrooms you would find in Brandon. In each 'area' of rooms, there are 2 bathrooms for every 4 rooms, so you could say its like 2 bathrooms for 8 people. Everybody's schedules are different so you will almost never have to wait for a bathroom, and if you do have to wait, you could just walk down the hall and use another.

Ish001 says thanks to RankNullity for this post.
Old 06-23-2011 at 07:42 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

To add onto what others said, it's 2 bathrooms shared by 4 double rooms, so essentially it's divided up to be 4 boys to 1 bathroom and 4 girls to the other. It's actually one of the better set-ups I've seen in residence at Mac! Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be the IRC Hall Rep for McKay next year
Old 06-23-2011 at 11:16 PM   #7
Rath
Account Locked

Liked: 18 Times

Consider yourself lucky, honestly.
Old 06-23-2011 at 11:54 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I was pretty worried about bathrooms too, but once I moved in, I didn't really have that concern anymore. I found most if not all bathrooms were immaculately maintained, so even if you have less than perfect neighbours using them, I assure you, they will always be spotless.

You get used to each others' schedules and work around them. It's usually 4 people to a bathroom, but you can also use any bathrooms in the building.

The facilities staff does an awesome job of housekeeping (and are quite friendly). My only issue in this realm was that if you have very late nights, they may be loud, especially if there is bathroom maintenance, but this is easily addressed by speaking to your IRC rep.

Each bathroom is a private bathroom and fairly spacious. The regular toilet, sink with cabinets underneath and a shower/tub. Students in my year left toiletries in their washrooms and I never heard of anything being taken. As you get to know your neighbours, that's a judgment call you will be able to assess for yourself.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience, the bathrooms were the least of my concerns (the rooms are pretty sweet) and they're easy ways to bond over people with. You're in for a phenomenal year!

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

jenpower says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 06-24-2011 at 01:50 PM   #9
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Sorry to sort of "intrude" but can anyone give me their opinion on Edward's washrooms?
Old 06-24-2011 at 01:53 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Sorry to sort of "intrude" but can anyone give me their opinion on Edward's washrooms?
Communal. I didn't spend much time in the washroom. Just did my business and left so it wasn't a big part of my residence experience.
Old 06-24-2011 at 03:12 PM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Communal. I didn't spend much time in the washroom. Just did my business and left so it wasn't a big part of my residence experience.
Ah, I understand. Just out of curiosity. If I wanted to do some jumprope, would it be allowed in the basement? I'd hate to have to trek to the gym just to skip for a bit in the dead of winter .
Old 06-24-2011 at 05:46 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Ah, I understand. Just out of curiosity. If I wanted to do some jumprope, would it be allowed in the basement? I'd hate to have to trek to the gym just to skip for a bit in the dead of winter .
Um, that's something you'll have to ask your CA. I don't see the harm in it though. The gym is like a 1 minute walk from Edwards, if not less -_-
Old 06-27-2011 at 05:50 AM   #13
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

if your in an APT4 style room in bates who cleans the bathroom?
Old 06-27-2011 at 10:45 AM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
if your in an APT4 style room in bates who cleans the bathroom?
You and your apartment mates. Take turns perhaps?
Old 07-29-2011 at 09:21 PM   #15
jen-power

Liked: 1 Time

Another question about the bathrooms, didn't want to make a new thread.
Do the showers have sticky stuff on the bottom so you don't slip? And should you wear flip-flops while showering or is it pretty safe to say you won't get athlete's foot?