MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-20-2008 at 12:10 AM   #1
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

How to become a CA
I was just wondering, how exactly do you become a CA? And also, how much do you get paid? Do you just like get to live in rez for cheaper, or are there any other perks to the job? thanks!
Old 09-20-2008 at 07:43 AM   #2
nogood205
McMaster Marching Band President

Liked: 4 Times

In December/January, RLS will start the recruiting process by which you must attend one of many information sessions. Next is the actual application phase where you submit an application and resume. A reference might be required. After this is an assessment to see if you would make a good candidate. Finally is an interview.

CA's are paid what is costs for a single room without a bathroom (which they must pay). They are paid this over the year. Thinking about being a CA for "The Perks" or just for a part-time job is not really the way to think of it.

A lot of people become RLS (Residence Life Staff) because of the experience they had in residence and the positive impact they had. The Job is a very rewarding experience that challenges you to grow and gain new skills.

Social Science students can get this job experience posted on their transcript. Ask your CA/HPA and I'm sure he/she can tell you more about the application process and why they decided to become one.
Old 09-20-2008 at 01:41 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Don't become RLS just for the cheaper res. You will probably end up hating it if that's what you're going into it for.

Being a CA can be awesome, but it's also going to be trying on you in many ways. Keep in mind that your CA's do a lot more than what you see. They pull long hours and have to deal with all the crap that some students dish out. I would suggest that you talk openly with a CA that you're comfortable with and ask for the non-sugar coated deal. There are a lot of ups to being a CA, but there are not so great parts as well.

If you're looking to get involved with student life after first year you can also look into becoming a Welcome Week Rep which is less time committment in the long run(mind you, you will end up spending money rather than making any). There is also faculty repping and Maroons if you're looking for more options.

Old 09-20-2008 at 03:36 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

You can also get involved with the Inter-Residence Council. However, never do something for the perks. Do it because you love it otherwise you can be detrimental to several first year students experiences.
Old 09-20-2008 at 05:48 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Sorry Nicole.... I forgot about IRC! I <3 you?

Old 09-20-2008 at 11:20 PM   #6
ferreinm
Elite Member

Come to Stair Walk!! WW Reps are allowed to come =)

I think you meant.. I <3 you!!!! =)
Old 09-21-2008 at 02:57 PM   #7
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

You Want to become a CA? Surely, you havent considered how hard the job really is..theres just too much responsiblity..I wouldnt become a CA even if they pay for all uni purchases for a yr..its just not worth it..they work 24/7 no joke..

Old 09-21-2008 at 04:15 PM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

They do Kevin, but a lot of people actually enjoy it. It was never meant for me but my fiancee was in RLS for all 4 years of his undergrad. It depends on your preferences.

Old 10-01-2008 at 04:17 PM   #9
katie_batt

well kenvin, I`ve heard from a few CAs that its a lot of work, but its really fun and totally worth it, so I think it depends on what you like and what you dont. I think I`m someone who would really like it.
Old 10-02-2008 at 03:05 PM   #10
ferreinm
Elite Member

Start prepping for it now then because its pretty competitive. Know your stuff. Get involved
Old 10-05-2008 at 04:39 PM   #11
surena

Liked: 0 Times

It's definitely worthwhile to try out, or at least go to information sessions. I'd say the job had it's ups and downs - for sure! Just incase you still wanted to know a bit more:

Some of the Pros:
It depends on what you want from the job:
  • you'll meet so many new people and bond with your staff team; you spend about two weeks before students move in with them.
  • get some work experience
  • get an internship if you're in Social Science
  • bond with students and help them out...
  • crafts! OH MAN, i was so excited for this (LOL, yes, i know...). Programming events and stress busters for students can sometimes really cheer them up
And a few cons:
  • The hours can get really long; weekends if you're on coverage you most likely wont be asleep before 2 or 3AM
  • yep, some students/parties can get out of hand
  • students tend to see CA's as 'police figures' but really, if you build decent relationships and actually get to know your students, it's fine.
It really depends on how you put everything into perspective. For me, the best perk was knowing that i helped some really shy and quiet students break through and know that it was okay to have a different lifestyle on residence, or even just being there as someone to talk to. Your own life doesnt have to end either -- it will take a little bit of time learning to balance your schoolwork, job and social life... but you can still have the student lifestyle. Ask your CA about info sessions; there'll usually be postings around your building about it later this semester. Sooooo, hope this helped.
Old 10-05-2008 at 05:18 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I actually wrote an article on becoming RLS last year. You can check it out here. I had just temporarily forgotten about it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-06-2008 at 09:51 AM   #13
samantha__
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surena View Post
  • students tend to see CA's as 'police figures' but really, if you build decent relationships and actually get to know your students, it's fine.
SO true! I had three CAs and the HPA living on my floor in Hedden but they were AWESOME. I loved them to death, and one of the CAs was hot too They were, for the most part, very relaxed with us. Even ended up exchanging notes and such with them over the summer/this year =)

Old 10-11-2008 at 01:03 AM   #14
ferreinm
Elite Member

I think I know who you're talking about (re: hot CA)