MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-27-2012 at 02:12 PM   #1
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

How to become a CA
Hey! So I was wondering what you have to do to become a CA? Is it hard to become one? Also i heard that you don't have to pay for residence if you are one. Is that true? Also do you have to live in residence your first year to become one?
Old 09-27-2012 at 02:40 PM   #2
redstarr37

Liked: 9 Times

The application process generally starts in December and then ends sometime in January. Then at the beginning of February, you have assessment centres where they split the applicants into groups and you do different activities so they can see how you work. There is also the traditional interview. They will also be having information sessions once the applications are open.

It's not necessarily hard to become one as long as you be yourself. Cause really they don't look for one type of person. They create teams and try to balance personalities. So maybe if you're not as out spoken, you could still get the position to help balance a team. It really depends on the applicants at the time and what you bring to the table.

The truth is you do have to pay for residence at the beginning of the year like everyone else. But you salary compensates you for it. But if you get a more expensive residence like Keyes, you won't be paid enough to fully pay the residence cost. It also does not cover the price of meal plans.

And you don't necessarily have to live in residence. As long as you have the skills they're looking for you can get the job. People in residence may just have a slight advantage in that they already know a little more of how residence life is, but then again living off campus also has it's pros which would be important to first years when they beginning thinking about moving off campus for year two. Also you'd habe to pay a little more attention when applications are open cause they usually advertise within residence from what I can remember.
Old 09-27-2012 at 02:44 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnanC206 View Post
Hey! So I was wondering what you have to do to become a CA? Is it hard to become one? Also i heard that you don't have to pay for residence if you are one. Is that true? Also do you have to live in residence your first year to become one?
There's an application and an interview some point in the new year.
That isn't necessarily true. You get paid, and the amount you get paid can cover residence, but I'm not sure if it does if you live in one of the more expensive residences (like Keyes). Several years ago it did not cover all of that, but I don't know if things have changed.
You don't have to live in residence in first year, but it can only help your application if you do.
It's fairly competitive, but it varies from year to year depending how many students are interested.
Old 09-30-2012 at 09:24 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's not quite easy, but it really depends on the year. I think last year there were over 150 applications for 80something spots. But I heard that numbers were a little different from one year to another.