MacInsiders Logo

/beginrant

Old 01-06-2010 at 09:34 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

/beginrant
I am so mothershitting tired of having to buy books or effing COURSEWARE, no less (that we could WRITE OUT BY HAND), when they don't even friggin bother to proofread this shit before making us buy it.

I don't know about you, but seeing dozens of typos in books that cost 100-200 dollars PISSES ME OFF.

/endrant

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-06-2010 at 09:49 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I am so mothershitting tired of having to buy books or effing COURSEWARE, no less (that we could WRITE OUT BY HAND), when they don't even friggin bother to proofread this shit before making us buy it.

I don't know about you, but seeing dozens of typos in books that cost 100-200 dollars PISSES ME OFF.

/endrant
Couldn't agree more. Especially the whole course ware thing. It doesn't cost $5 bucks to photocopy it.. and we pay $50 for it.. The university wouldn't suffer too much if they made it cheaper DX
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:53 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Part of the cost for custom course ware is the liscencing fees for the copyrighted content in them. I don't like paying for them either but the articles aren't free, they have to pay for their use so its not just the photocopying price that makes up the cost of CCW.
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:55 PM   #4
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Um I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the money is copyright fees. It's especially worse if the CCW is a compilation of many different publications.

However, I still agree that they are pretty overpriced.

EDIT: Oops posted late. Sorry...I'm just saying pretty much the same thing as the above poster -_-.
Old 01-06-2010 at 09:58 PM   #5
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Couldn't agree more. Especially the whole course ware thing. It doesn't cost $5 bucks to photocopy it.. and we pay $50 for it.. The university wouldn't suffer too much if they made it cheaper DX
Don't you get the satisfaction of spending more? It helps stimulate the economy!

danallan, Kevin S like this.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:00 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Don't you get the satisfaction of spending more? It helps stimulate the economy!
Maybe it's like that for you Commie, but I'm a sci-co, I don't care about stimulating the economy
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:02 PM   #7
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
$50? Last term I paid $107 for courseware- and the prof isn't even at Mac anymore, so it's not like someone's ever going to need it.

But no matter what you pay, it's WAY too expensive!

Last edited by Flag : 01-06-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:07 PM   #8
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Maybe it's like that for you Commie, but I'm a sci-co, I don't care about stimulating the economy
Well if you don't care about stimulating the economy, you'll be a Sci-Co without a job once you graduate, and even if you get a job, you'll probably be earning less than you would be if the economy was in better shape. Those are just some brief impacts. I don't want to get into more because this is not what this thread is about!

Down with course wares! :p

Last edited by Jake : 01-06-2010 at 10:09 PM.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:12 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

The cost is the only thing people got out of the rant?

It's the ****ing disgusting amount of mistakes in these overpriced pieces of shit I'm pissed about.

AKA OUR STATS BOOKS FIRST TERM OMGGGGGG MADE ME RAGE SO HARD LOL.

Old 01-06-2010 at 10:12 PM   #10
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Ahh gotta love that Psych 1XX3 course ware...NOT XD

and a university is pretty much a business...

$45 x 2500 students (i think there was like 3200 in 1X03 so this is just an estimate, and no im not saying 700 ppl failed :p)

so that's over $100,000 to the university just for that one course they would lose if they sold it for $5 (oh and the taxes...gotta love taxes...retaxes? LOL)

Jake, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:14 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:

It's the ****ing disgusting amount of mistakes in these overpriced pieces of shit I'm pissed about.

Is this not an issue with your profs then?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-06-2010 at 10:14 PM   #12
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

The thing that bugs me more than course-ware is that they explain away the book price hike by saying the extra money goes to fund the scholarships that the book store provides, plus employee benefits.

They try to make it sound like they are a non-profit business and really they are on the students side. They are there to help refuel the money bin the school hemorrhages cash from for stupid reasons.

I would think every student paying 15% less for books would be better than a few students getting a scholarship they dont need while other students in need get nothing. If I ever actually got a scholarship or bursary I could stop hooking for cheeseburgers. But I cant get amazing marks because I have to spend my studying time working the streets.

The school should make a big online collection of stuff they write themselves and get rid of the textbooks all together. What an amazing selling point for a school, take the textbook money and buy a laptop.

Last edited by Rossclot : 01-06-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:15 PM   #13
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:

The biggest thing is the usefulness of these damned things. Like seriously some of them are pointless and expensive. But let me tell you the Chem 1A03 and 1AA3 lab manuals cost $5, they are small, useful and to the point. Love u chem...I mean Hatala...i mean...oh god XD

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 01-06-2010 at 10:16 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I'm pretty sure scholarships are given primarily based on need, Rossclot.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-06-2010 at 10:17 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Is this not an issue with your profs then?
Why would I possibly know this. I have no idea how this junk works.