MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 Ways To Meet New People and Get Involved Chad First Year Success 8 08-02-2013 11:16 PM
which resident would be the best if you want to meet new people and have parties in? 737300173 Residence & Housing 4 07-31-2011 01:04 AM
MI Meet Up! Marlowe MacInsiders Announcements 104 10-20-2010 10:34 PM
MI Meet Up! Marlowe General Discussion 134 10-17-2010 01:53 AM
Nice To Meet You Too :) Jordanxtreme Introduce Yourself 5 08-12-2010 05:38 AM

Best club to meet people?

Old 09-03-2012 at 10:02 PM   #1
Unregistered

Best club to meet people?
I'm off campus and matured student. What are some clubs I should look at during Club Fest to create a social circle?
Old 09-03-2012 at 10:14 PM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

There's no such thing as "the best club to meet people" that applies in general to anyone. The best club, in my opinion is actually whatever club interests you, because what's the point of meeting people who don't really interest you?

You should look into what a club does or discusses and see if you'll like it. That way, you're far more likely to meet like-minded people with similar interests as you do, and making friends become much easier.

There are also some program-related clubs that help you meet people in your program and give you contact with upper year students in case you have questions or need guidance/mentoring.

All of these clubs are available on the MSU website, and most, if not all, are going to have a table at Clubsfest, which is happening on campus this Wednesday.
Old 09-03-2012 at 10:17 PM   #3
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I'd say the best way to create a regular circle of friends is class. Its a great way to meet people with similar views and interests.

Just talking to random people on the streets. Most of them are friendly and there are always people out there, so yeah, that counts as a social circle.
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:16 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Depends. Find one that interests your hobbies. Like chess? join chess. Want to meet other polish people? Join the polish group. Just join whatever interests you and be active making friends.
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:19 PM   #5
taz42

Liked: 0 Times

*insert name of one of the clubs I'm involved in*

I agree with Justin, you should join a club because it interests you, you identify with it, or it raises awareness about a cause you feel strongly about. While everyone on Macinsiders could post the names of the club(s) that they are affiliated with, you would be left with a very biased list of clubs. I would advise you to join a smaller club because the members tend to be very close-knit and you will instantly have a social circle of like-minded people. Or join a committee in a larger group - tons of opportunity for bonding. If you are interested in sports, I would recommend playing intramurals...nothing like good ol' camaraderie!
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:59 PM   #6
Unregistered

I'm confused. The advice I got was to try something new and expand your comfort zone. If that is so, shouldn't I be picking a club that mirror that mentality instead of sticking to what I like?
Old 09-04-2012
eddiemurphy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-11-2012 at 12:14 PM   #7
tammyr

Liked: 1 Time

Go with something you're interested in and you're bound to make friends. I did a play in first year and met one of my best friends here, and I would have never met her otherwise.

Once you join a club that's about something you're passionate in, and you meet others with the same passion, you'll meet people you can be friends with.
Old 09-11-2012 at 12:18 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm confused. The advice I got was to try something new and expand your comfort zone. If that is so, shouldn't I be picking a club that mirror that mentality instead of sticking to what I like?
Two different approaches, depending on the type of person you are.. if you don't have a problem meeting people, go for something new, but sticking with something you know gives ya more conversation starters I guess.
Old 09-11-2012 at 10:36 PM   #9
bquay

Liked: 0 Times

thursday nights at 1280
Old 09-12-2012 at 12:05 AM   #10
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

I'm starting a club thats right up your alley.
Old 09-12-2012 at 09:46 AM   #11
Gorn

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
I'm starting a club thats right up your alley.
Is it bowling? LoLoLoLOLolololOlOlOl lOLOlol!!!!111

Anyone? Anyone?

Phaint says thanks to Gorn for this post.

guerilla, patela77, Phaint, RyanC like this.
Old 09-12-2012 at 10:22 AM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. When people say try something new, they don't usually mean to try something new that you aren't interested in...they mean to try something that you're interested in but have never done before (for whatever reasons).
Old 09-12-2012 at 11:08 AM   #13
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Wow I really hope there is a bowling club with custom letterman jackets... Pleeeaaase I hope this exists...