MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-17-2008 at 08:30 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Best Job at Mac
Just wondering, what is the best or most popular on-campus jobs for first year students, and how exactly do we go about finding or getting this job ?
Old 08-17-2008 at 08:56 PM   #2
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

I'd say thats a personal opinion, which would vary from student to student.

Mine would probably be DJ or male stripper.
Old 08-17-2008 at 09:27 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I couldn't tell you which is most popular, it does depend on opinion.

You apply for jobs using OSCAR via the Careers Services website and I would jump on that as they've already been out for a while and will be closing up soonish.

Old 08-18-2008 at 08:15 AM   #4
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

Say I want to wait until second semester to get a job on campus...would this be much of an option at that point, or will the jobs be hard to come by?
Old 08-18-2008 at 08:22 AM   #5
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie View Post
Say I want to wait until second semester to get a job on campus...would this be much of an option at that point, or will the jobs be hard to come by?
It might be a bit harder... now would be the best time =)
Old 08-18-2008 at 08:31 AM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

But there still will be jobs out there. Places like the Liaison Office hire each semester.

If you're unsure about how working will effect your school work I would wait until the second semester. You're a student first and foremost, make sure you get adjusted to university life before you jump into juggling work, school and a social life.

Old 08-18-2008 at 08:47 AM   #7
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

Yeah, that's exactly why I want to wait so that my academics don't take such a huge blow. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2008 at 08:53 AM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

If that's your worry I would highly recommend the student Liaison Office as a Student Tour Guide because it's a very very small committment

Old 08-19-2008 at 09:17 AM   #9
jass

hi there, now im kind of double thinking applying to a job. ive registered on OSCAR, but i cant upload my resum,e it wont work and i have tried everyhting. ? as well, how do i find a job at the liason office as you were saying. please help thanks.
Old 08-19-2008 at 09:26 AM   #10
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Where I work, there are tonnes of student jobs opening up for the school year. If you're good at talking to people, then this might be one you're interested in.
It's called Annual Fund or sometimes MacFund. It should be posted on OSCAR now.
It pays well and the supervisors are all students too so they do lots of fun stuff
Old 08-19-2008 at 09:59 AM   #11
bauhaual

Ok, so i've applied to a few jobs on OSCAR now, but I have not heard back from any of them. Should I assume that I am not going to be offered any of these positions? I am not sure if I should just wait it out a bit more, or if I should continue to apply for as many jobs as I can. It's only been about 2 weeks or so, but I still thought I would hear back by now.
Old 08-19-2008 at 10:03 AM   #12
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Check the jobs you applied to and see if the postings have closed... if they're still up, then the employer hasn't recieved the applications yet... Hence, no response.
Old 08-19-2008 at 10:04 AM   #13
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Don't forget to check out the MSU job posting page! There aren't any up right now but there will be soon:
http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/mirror/jobsvol.php

If you haven't heard back in two weeks, definitely keep looking. There are so many jobs out there.

Try the macfund thing I was speaking about because I'm positive that they're looking.
Old 08-19-2008 at 10:33 AM   #14
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

If the job postings are still up then the position is still open and thus you will not hear back yet. I would keep applying to jobs until you get one.

If your resume isn't uploading it could be that it's in a format that isn't supported. If you still cant get it to work try calling Career Services.