MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favourite place to study? Rakim Academics 19 12-20-2010 02:39 PM
Place to study today cjdzl Academics 17 10-11-2010 08:31 PM
Need A Quiet Place To Study? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-04-2009 06:00 PM
Good Place to Study jo87 General Discussion 17 09-16-2009 06:20 PM
is there a place to by ink at mac? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-08-2008 08:34 AM

best place to study

Old 02-03-2011 at 09:37 PM   #31
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

• Residence study rooms (if you know someone in a rez, ask them to let you in, otherwise just tail behind someone)
  • MDCL upper floors
  • Lobby of DeGroote
  • Lobby of TSH and KTH

Williams, is hit or miss. Every time I've been there, it's been crowded and loud. There isn't a lot of seating there to begin with, so if I were there for the purpose of studying, it would be taking away from the people who came their to sit and have a meal/drink with someone.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:43 PM   #32
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Williams, is hit or miss. Every time I've been there, it's been crowded and loud. There isn't a lot of seating there to begin with, so if I were there for the purpose of studying, it would be taking away from the people who came their to sit and have a meal/drink with someone.
Every time I'm in there to eat, half of the tables are taken up by people who are working and not eating or drinking anything. It's always a single person taking up the bigger tables, too.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:50 PM   #33
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
Every time I'm in there to eat, half of the tables are taken up by people who are working and not eating or drinking anything. It's always a single person taking up the bigger tables, too.

Exactly, which is why no one should be going there to study in the first place. If it weren't so popular, i.e empty most of the time, then whatever. Go for it.

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 09:56 PM   #34
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I'm serious about MDCL. They're group meeting rooms. I will silently curse you if you're sitting in there alone and my group has to wander for 30 mins looking for a meeting room because half of them only have one person in them.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:01 PM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I'm serious about MDCL. They're group meeting rooms. I will silently curse you if you're sitting in there alone and my group has to wander for 30 mins looking for a meeting room because half of them only have one person in them.
I've found my new study space for the remainer of the year, thanks.

Old 02-03-2011 at 10:17 PM   #36
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
That's another thing I don't get. just because you got to the room first, doesn't mean others can't join you. As long as they're not disturbing you and vice versa. the entire room could be full of people quietly studying -_-

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 10:40 PM   #37
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's another thing I don't get. just because you got to the room first, doesn't mean others can't join you. As long as they're not disturbing you and vice versa. the entire room could be full of people quietly studying -_-
Oh I totally agree. I do that a lot if a few ppl are looking to quietly study. Hence why in my first post in this thread I mentioned bringing a few friends to use the room.
But it's just rude to take an entire room to yourself. You really don't need that much space 0_o That's my irritation-when one person uses up valuable space like that, especially when there are groups of people that need the rooms for group meetings, because we don't have the choice of using a carrel at the library or joining someone who's quietly studying because discussion can be a bit disturbing to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I've found my new study space for the remainer of the year, thanks.
I generally like your posts, no need to be rude Just bring a few friends please..I'm serious it's just a waste of the few resources we have on campus, and it's insensitive to use a room for yourself. It's just good upbringing I'm preaching here 0_o , not trying to be exclusionary.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 12:28 AM   #38
Squectangle

Liked: 14 Times

I use MDCL rooms A LOT, and usually I'm by myself. However, I am more than willing to share the room with others who are looking for a quiet study space. I've never said no to people wanting to join me, as long as they keep the noise level low. Oftentimes, when I see someone walk by, peer inside, then leave, I personally go outside and ask if they'd like to share the room. Likewise, if I see a single person working in a large room and all other rooms are occupied, I will come in and ask to work there.

What I HATE is if I'm in a room by myself, and a large group comes along, stares at me, then just leaves exclaiming quite loudly and blatantly "OMG, it's just one person. We should kick her out." Sheesh, if you want the room, just ask and I'll relocate. Being in Health Sci, I understand the need to find rooms for meetings regardless of your faculty. Please don't automatically assume that I'm a mean person just because I found a study space before someone else.

Communication is key! Be courteous to others. Be willing to compromise once in a while, and there will be less frustration.

(Of course, there're also times when I've been asked to relocate, and the group who kicked me out is obviously NOT doing work, and just wanted a place to chill. Things like that make me go GRR.)

Last edited by Squectangle : 02-04-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Old 02-04-2011 at 12:51 AM   #39
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squectangle View Post
I use MDCL rooms A LOT, and usually I'm by myself. However, I am more than willing to share the room with others who are looking for a quiet study space. I've never said no to people wanting to join me, as long as they keep the noise level low. Oftentimes, when I see someone walk by, peer inside, then leave, I personally go outside and ask if they'd like to share the room. Likewise, if I see a single person working in a large room and all other rooms are occupied, I will come in and ask to work there.

What I HATE is if I'm in a room by myself, and a large group comes along, stares at me, then just leaves exclaiming quite loudly and blatantly "OMG, it's just one person. We should kick her out." Sheesh, if you want the room, just ask and I'll relocate. Being in Health Sci, I understand the need to find rooms for meetings regardless of your faculty. Please don't automatically assume that I'm a mean person just because I found a study space before someone else.

Communication is key! Be courteous to others. Be willing to compromise once in a while, and there will be less frustration.

(Of course, there're also times when I've been asked to relocate, and the group who kicked me out is obviously NOT doing work, and just wanted a place to chill. Things like that make me go GRR.)
Maybe you just have that scary vibe.

I made a mistake peeking at your profile, that picture is one of the reason why I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Squectangle likes this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 12:56 AM   #40
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by msms View Post
try mills fourth floor. when you come out of the elevators/stairs, on the left there's a door that says cavs or something and inside are so many desks that no one uses!
or even 6th floor of mills..pretty cool
yes. this place is always empty or has like 2/3 people.
Old 02-04-2011 at 04:35 AM   #41
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
I generally like your posts, no need to be rude Just bring a few friends please..I'm serious it's just a waste of the few resources we have on campus, and it's insensitive to use a room for yourself. It's just good upbringing I'm preaching here 0_o , not trying to be exclusionary.
Its also stupid and insensitive to be one of those turds who walks by rooms and just automatically assumes that just because somebody is by themselves, they want the whole room to themselves. It doesn't matter where I am alone, theres always group morons who walk around disturbing people and wasting our study space resources.
ps i have no friends
Old 02-04-2011 at 10:36 AM   #42
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its also stupid and insensitive to be one of those turds who walks by rooms and just automatically assumes that just because somebody is by themselves, they want the whole room to themselves. It doesn't matter where I am alone, theres always group morons who walk around disturbing people and wasting our study space resources.
ps i have no friends
I agree
There's insensitivity, stupidity and wasted resources on all sides, I wasn't intending to say it only happens on one side. I was just discussing that aspect of though. But thank you for bringing up the other side of it as well

There are however those who will glare and give off incredibly hostile vibes towards those quietly looking for rooms. As I mentioned I will never disturb those people-they have every right to be in that room. But if they're going to be rude about it, I think I have every right to be irritated that they think a room belongs to them. (and as I mentioned I never express this irritation to them).
There are some very polite people as well, I was only discussing those situation in which people do in fact waste the space.
And considering you replied by stating that you would now partake in this waste of resources I responded in kind. I realize it was a joke, but I wasn't in the mood last night for jokes of that kind.

Old 02-04-2011 at 04:17 PM   #43
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

MUSC...

lol