MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New York Trip jaason87 General Discussion 3 09-15-2010 08:16 PM
Hello from New York! izumo13 Gaming 0 11-25-2009 04:13 PM
If We Get York 2.0... britb General Discussion 55 11-01-2009 04:28 PM
So, WHAT exactly happened at York? huzaifa47 General Discussion 13 07-04-2009 12:42 AM
York U, what a mess! lorend General Discussion 19 12-30-2008 01:57 PM

Best time to take GO bus to York?

Old 01-19-2011 at 10:20 PM   #1
HerbalMeds

Liked: 1 Time

Best time to take GO bus to York?
Hello,

I will be taking the bus tomorrow to York U, which is the GO bus 47 (stops by Square One and Bramlea first).

What's the best time to take it? I'm free after 4pm. Should I take it right after I'm free or wait a little later in the evening to avoid the masses of people?

Also keep in mind that tomorrow's a Thursday, so the weekenders won't be on the bus
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:25 PM   #2
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Reminds me of this:

Old 01-19-2011 at 10:26 PM   #3
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post

That show was so good.

Rakim, Watoko like this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:27 PM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

It really depends where you're getting on. If loading the bus at Square One, regardless of time, you'll have free seats. It's the people who get on at the carpool lots that have issues with having to stand sometimes.

Most times after 1:00 are good because they're odd timings. The bulk of students use the GO from 8:00 am-12:30.

You'll be just fine.
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:31 PM   #5
HerbalMeds

Guess I should have made it clearer.

I'm going from Mac to York.

Trying to find the best time because I remember taking the bus a few times last semester on a Thursday post 4pm (can't remember the exact time) and got shafted and had to wait for the next bus.

Also, I'm boarding at Mac.
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:45 PM   #6
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalMeds View Post
Guess I should have made it clearer.

I'm going from Mac to York.

Trying to find the best time because I remember taking the bus a few times last semester on a Thursday post 4pm (can't remember the exact time) and got shafted and had to wait for the next bus.

Also, I'm boarding at Mac.

OH. Honestly, then in that case, you're on your own. Boarding at Mac is a nightmare. People are savages.
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:48 PM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
That show was so good.
past tense?

Its still amazing.

AelyaS, Watoko like this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:52 PM   #8
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Even if there is a lot of people getting on at mac you will likely get a seat.. anystop after that.. no way. I find its worst at like 5/6/7 pm to get on at mac.. but maybe not on a thursday so much
Old 01-19-2011 at 10:56 PM   #9
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Well you could always just take the HSR to the go station and get on there OR take the HSR to main and dundurn and walk across to king and you can also get on there to avoid the crowd at mac. in that case it doesnt matter what time you go!
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:04 PM   #10
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Go asap, since the later you wait the more people will get on.
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:10 PM   #11
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Also know that at McMaster, lines for the GO bus do not exist. Everywhere else, they do
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:21 PM   #12
HerbalMeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Also know that at McMaster, lines for the GO bus do not exist. Everywhere else, they do
Yes, I've noticed this. People really are savages at the mac bus stops.

I line up at the post for the bus going to York. People aimless walk/stand behind me. However, the MOMENT the bus comes into line of sight, everyone just walks up to the damn curb. And when the bus stops, everyone just pushes to get to the door.

Damn cavemen, use lines! In fact, I've noticed the Aldershot bus DOES use a line, but the damn express + York bus does not. WHY?
Old 01-19-2011 at 11:39 PM   #13
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I've noticed that too with the York bus...

Guess you've gotta get with the flow. You snooze, you lose!
Old 01-20-2011 at 12:03 AM   #14
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

I never did understand the line situation. Even when there is a line formed by people at the Mac bus stop onto a 47, once the bus comes everyone will cut in front anyways. Usually the people who do attempt to line up (the people who got there first) end up being the last on the bus.

I remember 4-5 years ago before we had the GO terminal, people would actually line up for the bus at Mac but as soon the terminal came in, chaos.
Old 01-20-2011 at 09:17 AM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I don't even know what to tell you. Your best bet if you want to leave right away is to go to the stop asap and stand really close to the edge, next to the yellow pole. You can never predict exactly where they'll stop and the aforementioned savages will still try and push you out of their way but you'll have a better chance of getting on.

I've actually seen people line up for the 15 bus to Aldershot so I never understood why the 47/47B/47A people can't do the same thing. I mean you really can't form a line just because there's no guard rail behind you?

I generally just try and come early for the 47A, wait for the 47B to leave and then stand near the front but if the bus doesn't stop in the right place then you're screwed because everyone behind you runs over to where it stopped and now you're in the back of the savage pit.

I'm never taking the 4:40 47A again because of this. Last time there were so many people I had to stand, which wouldn't be a problem on occasion except that I'm short and I can barely reach the yellow thing to hold onto so its very difficult to actually remain standing and not break my arm for the 40 odd minutes to SQ1. Taking the bus before 3:30 is generally a must.