MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Buy/Sell Textbooks Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 09-14-2010 03:00 PM
Buy and Sell Your Textbooks with MSU Undercovers! nogood205 MacInsiders Announcements 2 01-05-2010 11:04 PM
Buy & Sell Textbooks on MI Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-04-2010 01:15 PM

Best way to sell Textbooks?!?!

Old 05-07-2010 at 06:55 PM   #1
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Best way to sell Textbooks?!?!
My plan is to just stand outside the class for that particular text on the first day, and when its over aren't I not guaranteed to find someone that would want to buy it right there? (for roughly the price of 'used' at titles)

Why doesn't anyone do this!?!?

Old 05-07-2010 at 07:26 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
My plan is to just stand outside the class for that particular text on the first day, and when its over aren't I not guaranteed to find someone that would want to buy it right there? (for roughly the price of 'used' at titles)

You might find someone, but a lot of people wouldn't have that much cash on them at that moment. I think a lot of people know you can get it cheaper than the used price by using MacInsiders marketplace or Facebook and even places like amazon. I save more than 50% on amazon once.
Old 05-07-2010 at 08:37 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Online ftw.
Old 05-07-2010 at 08:42 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:

Not a good use of your time.
Marketplace, facebook selling thingy, kajiji, etc...
Old 05-07-2010 at 08:43 PM   #5
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

that's a good idea. the prof for one of my courses said she posted on elm to do this but no one showed up. probably because it is summer... anyways even if people don't have the funds, you could still arrange to meet them later.
Old 05-07-2010 at 10:30 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I find advertising on the marketplace online here tends to work out pretty well.

If you have trouble selling some books, I find standing around near where that book is being sold works phenomenally well. Just wait for someone to pick up the book and say "I can sell you a used one if you want for way cheaper".

Just make sure when you're doing it, you aren't leaning against a wall with a toothpick in your mouth while flipping a coin up and down. People don't tend to trust people doing that.

Afzal, lux, temptingf8 like this.
Old 05-08-2010 at 05:43 PM   #7
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
aren't I not guaranteed to find someone that would want to buy it right there? (for roughly the price of 'used' at titles)
I think a lot of people might want to price compare first. I know if someone tried to sell me a book right after the first lecture, like you said for roughly the same price as used at Titles, I'd probably either try to haggle a bit, or go on Facebook or Macinsiders to price compare. But that's me, maybe some people won't. I think Titles used prices are too much, so I would want to be getting a more reasonable price, but not too cheap so that you're still getting something back.

Also, they'd want to know what edition it is(so they know they're getting the right one in case it's been updated.. I've heard of people buying last years outdated textbook by accident, and missing out on half the new material.) Facebook, and this website works well too. I once bought a book from Facebook for a good deal.

That sounds like a good idea though. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2010 at 10:21 PM   #8
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Where is this facebook group people speak of? Also I remember reading here about a titles used book marketplace or something, but that is wasn't well advertised.
Old 05-08-2010 at 11:39 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Where is this facebook group people speak of? Also I remember reading here about a titles used book marketplace or something, but that is wasn't well advertised.
It's just the facebook marketplace. Not sure about the titles used book marketplace. I would assume it's just titles selling their used books, which is located in the same list you use to see which books your course is using.
Old 05-09-2010 at 12:55 AM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

http://icbb.sellmytextbooks. org/me...ex=UBCSE ARCH

this is the titles classifieds search engine. Some of my friends have bought books from there
Old 05-09-2010 at 04:31 AM   #11
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

The guy I got my physics books from was standing in titles next to the very books he was selling, he then asked if id rather buy them used for cheaper. Smart idea but I'm pretty sure Its either frowned upon or violates some sort of rule.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;