MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BHSc - Everyone is Special francis Academics 82 06-18-2012 01:29 AM
BHSc Course Galleria Academics 1 08-23-2011 03:05 PM
BHSc Charity Fashion Show fmanji MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-08-2010 02:41 PM
BHSc 10th Year Anniversary àlacarte MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-19-2010 09:30 PM
BHSc Holiday Fundraiser temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-26-2009 09:20 AM

BHSc - Keep it Respectful

Old 07-19-2012 at 04:13 PM   #121
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
I wasn't aware I had stepped into my time machine.

It's more of an awareness issue for me. I wonder if all of this sheltering will cause students to get lax enough that medical schools stop accepting BHSc students based on bad experiences in the past.
Care to elaborate, provide some proof maybe? And please, no more anecdotes. This thread has seen enough of those.
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:15 PM   #122
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Care to elaborate, provide some proof maybe? And please, no more anecdotes. This thread has seen enough of those.
What sort of proof are you looking for? By the very nature of the statement, there won't/can't be statistics or whatever to support it.

Ex. I've directly spoken with profs who won't take students or evaluate students more harshly if they come from health sci. That's an "anecdote", but also proof.
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:57 PM   #123
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
What sort of proof are you looking for? By the very nature of the statement, there won't/can't be statistics or whatever to support it.
Then the statement shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Quote:
Ex. I've directly spoken with profs who won't take students or evaluate students more harshly if they come from health sci. That's an "anecdote", but also proof.
I was referring more to the careless stories and hearsay that gets applied to an entire program despite being complete crap most of the time.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:01 PM   #124
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Since when are statistics the only source of proof? Why do you need statistics available to back up every statement you make? That's absurd.

Just because you don't like something or don't want to believe it, that doesn't make it not true.

Yogurt likes this.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:05 PM   #125
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Since when are statistics the only source of proof? Why do you need statistics available to back up every statement you make? That's absurd.
Are you kidding me? Did you even read my posts? Go through them one more time and tell me where I said that statistics are the only source of proof.

I never asked for a statistic, I asked for some sort of proof. That's not absurd.

Quote:
Just because you don't like something or don't want to believe it, that doesn't make it not true.
I am well aware of that. What I don't like is people making baseless statements, providing no proof, and then perpetuating negative stereotypes.

The post implied that medical schools in the past have had problems with BHSc students. What's wrong with asking for proof?
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:12 PM   #126
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Did you even read my posts? Go through them one more time and tell me where I said that statistics are the only source of proof.

I never asked for a statistic, I asked for some sort of proof. That's not absurd.

I am well aware of that. What I don't like is people making baseless statements, providing no proof, and then perpetuating negative stereotypes.

The post implied that medical schools in the past have had problems with BHSc students. What's wrong with asking for proof?
I wrote:
Quote:
Then you quoted that and responded:
Quote:
I really don't see how I can further explain that, taken directly from your post.

And you still don't get it. The post said med schools have had problems with BHSc students, based on a person's conversation with someone on the admissions committee in which this was directly stated. That's no different from my conversation with multiple different profs who have stated the same thing about BHSc students.

Nobody is going to do a survey about this, nor would med schools consent to publish this information. Nobody really cares that much. The statistics don't exist. That doesn't make the person's statements false.

Silver likes this.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:20 PM   #127
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
^ That is implying that there's no proof to backup the statement that was made, to which I replied that the statement shouldn't have been made. Aka statements with no proof shouldn't be made.

I never said anything about statistics being the only kind of proof.

Quote:
And you still don't get it. The post said med schools have had problems with BHSc students, based on a person's conversation with someone on the admissions committee in which this was directly stated. That's no different from my conversation with multiple different profs who have stated the same thing about BHSc students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
I wasn't aware I had stepped into my time machine.

It's more of an awareness issue for me. I wonder if all of this sheltering will cause students to get lax enough that medical schools stop accepting BHSc students based on bad experiences in the past.
Where in WalkerBlue's post (the one I responded to) does it say anything about talking to someone on an admissions committee? His post made a statement, with no proof whatsoever.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:23 PM   #128
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
^ That is implying that there's no proof to backup the statement that was made, to which I replied that the statement shouldn't have been made. Aka statements with no proof shouldn't be made.

I never said anything about statistics being the only kind of proof.
I was not implying there was no proof, in fact I directly stated that there are no STATISTICS, and that there are other kinds of proof.

Fml. waste of time. I'm not going to sit here and repeat myself over and over when you clearly don't get it.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:26 PM   #129
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
I was not implying there was no proof, in fact I directly stated that there are no STATISTICS, and that there are other kinds of proof.

Fml. waste of time. I'm not going to sit here and repeat myself over and over when you clearly don't get it.
Ya that's fine. I never disputed the validity of any other sources of proof (besides hearsay). If he can show me any legitimate proof of what he said (that med schools have had bad experiences with BHSc students), then I'll accept his statement.

Btw I liked how you ignored the second part of my post.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:32 PM   #130
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Ya that's fine. I never disputed the validity of any other sources of proof (besides hearsay). If he can show me any legitimate proof of what he said (that med schools have had bad experiences with BHSc students), then I'll accept his statement.

Btw I liked how you ignored the second part of my post.
Btw I like how you still don't get it.

And I was referring to Bushra's post. I didn't respond because it's not relevant to the point I was trying to make. I used a random example. Although you don't get the point anyways so it was clearly a waste of time.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:33 PM   #131
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Relevant:

Old 07-19-2012 at 05:35 PM   #132
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Btw I like how you still don't get it.

And I was referring to Bushra's post. I didn't respond because it's not relevant to the point I was trying to make. I used a random example. Although you don't get the point anyways so it was clearly a waste of time.
So you were referring to Bushra's post while calling me out for something I said that had nothing to do with Bushra's post

Okay I get it.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:36 PM   #133
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
So you were referring to Bushra's post while calling me out for something I said that had nothing to do with Bushra's post.

Okay I get it.
No you don't. I was calling you out on you saying that a statement shouldn't be made if there aren't statistics to support it.
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:38 PM   #134
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
No you don't. I was calling you out on you saying that a statement shouldn't be made if there aren't statistics to support it.
Sarcasm doesn't translate well.

I never asked for a statistic. I simply want proof to this: "I wonder if all of this sheltering will cause students to get lax enough that medical schools stop accepting BHSc students based on bad experiences in the past."

Just so we're clear, I'm not asking for a statistic. I just want to know why he said that last bit.

Okay? Does that make sense? Do I need to re-word it one more time?
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:39 PM   #135
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Sarcasm doesn't translate well.

I never asked for a statistic. I simply want proof to this: "I wonder if all of this sheltering will cause students to get lax enough that medical schools stop accepting BHSc students based on bad experiences in the past."

Just so we're clear, I'm not asking for a statistic. I just want to know why he said that last bit.

Okay? Does that make sense? Do I need to re-word it one more time?
I was referring to your response to my statement, that you directly quoted.

*Sigh* I requested my account be deleted a week ago. This is pretty much exactly why.