MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I repair a Blackberry? PTGregD General Discussion 7 03-30-2011 04:51 PM
Bike stolen ='((((( killza Automotive & Transportation 16 06-19-2010 12:34 AM
Refrigerator Repair Service? Allan Residence & Housing 1 09-22-2008 10:41 PM
Laptop repair? Franchi5e General Discussion 5 10-29-2007 11:14 AM

Bike repair??

Old 05-03-2011 at 02:38 PM   #1
Limbacker

Liked: 1 Time

Bike repair??
Anyone know where I can repair my bike?

I heard there was a MSU club that has to do with selling and repairing bikes called Macycle but I can't find anything about them.

Help?
Old 05-03-2011 at 02:39 PM  
Limbacker

Bike repair??

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-03-2011 at 03:27 PM   #2
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

in the basement of wentworth house, there is a bike repair place. wentworth house is the small old building beside MDCL. i think there is an external entrance on the west side.

Limbacker says thanks to epikness for this post.
Old 05-03-2011 at 03:29 PM   #3
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Are they still open for the summer?
Old 05-03-2011 at 03:38 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey yea maccycle is open for the summer, they actually just reopened yesterday and their hours are posted on their website.... u can check them out here...

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...o/overview.htm

Limbacker says thanks to Chevalier for this post.
Old 05-03-2011 at 04:14 PM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

If I remember correctly you might have to do the repairs yourself but they are people that can help you.
Old 05-03-2011 at 05:32 PM   #6
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

They are nestled under the Phoneix Restaurant
Old 05-03-2011 at 07:13 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I've been to Central Cycle on King St (east end) and they're pretty good (depending on the repair, it could be done in 20 minutes) at a reasonable price. Perik's Cycle near McMaster is really good but its a tad bit more expensive. MacCycle is good, but its DIY, so it could be time consuming... but(!) you can learn how to repair from the people there.. you'd probably have to buy your own parts if you need a new tire, wheel frame, gear/chain, etc.
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:40 PM   #8
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

not sure what area you're in but also freewheel cycle in dundas. easy to get to with bike - just go down cootes trail straight into dundas. once you get down around mcdonald's... first light is york rd. second light is cross st. store is just a hair past cross street on right hand side (if coming from mac).

ancaster cycle is good too but not so easy to get to unless you maybe throw the bike on the rack on front of an HSR bus. they're a few blocks up wilson street, on the right (coming up hill).

both of these are probably more costly than the bike club at mac, but i've used both and ancaster cycle in particular has awesome customer service, both have professionalism, comparable prices, etc. i also find they have a bit more selection than pieriks although it's been a while since i've been there.
Old 05-04-2011 at 12:53 AM   #9
huangb5

Liked: 0 Times

The link above is the MaCycle website with all the information and is located in the same building as the phoenix but you can easily go down the concrete steps at the front from the outside and it's right there.

I've been there a few times to adjust my breaks, rusting chain, changing inner tubes, and so on. It is part DIY but if you are really having trouble, they definitely do lend a helping hand and are very knowledgeable. Also, I've learnt a thing or two while visiting. I think it's great!
Old 05-04-2011 at 04:34 AM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangb5 View Post

The link above is the MaCycle website with all the information and is located in the same building as the phoenix but you can easily go down the concrete steps at the front from the outside and it's right there.

I've been there a few times to adjust my ..., rusting chain, ... I think it's great!
What did you do to fix that? Mines all rusty and I don't know what to do :(
Old 05-04-2011 at 01:38 PM   #11
Limbacker

thanks for the help
I'll be going there today
Old 05-04-2011 at 02:04 PM   #12
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey if u do go can u see if they have any used bikes in stock i know they sell them but havent been able to get a clear answer
Old 05-04-2011 at 10:05 PM   #13
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
What did you do to fix that? Mines all rusty and I don't know what to do :(
rusty chain:

if it's not too bad, get some chain cleaner (orange oil type stuff from bike store - NOT like a WD40 - unless your bike is crap anyway and you don't care) and work it in, cleaning off the chain as well. wiggle tight links back and forth until they loosen. make sure chain is nice and clean and then treat with a silicone chain lube (all-weather). now if bike is crap, you can also wipe down chain with some 10-40 car oil. p.s. if you're not sure which links are tight, try running your chain backwards and you'll see them skip over the cog teeth on your back wheel.

if chain is beyond - totally seized - you need a new chain. you *can* do it yourself quite easily if you don't mind buying a few extra items like a chain break. if you don't know, it pushes out the pin that links the chain together and then pushes it back in again. some people get things to measure chain length and stretch, but in a pinch, just count how many links are in your old chain, and make your new chain the same length.