MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Notebooks Vs. Binders? GB123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 07-27-2011 04:40 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Singalongs And My Two-2 Ring Binders: 1949 To 2009 RonPrice Music 4 07-07-2010 09:01 PM
Binders? Parking? Logic Academics 8 08-17-2008 03:23 PM

Binders for First Year Students?

Old 07-16-2012 at 01:51 PM   #16
Sahar.fz

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaynag View Post
I would always suggest typing. OneNote is basically the only Microsoft program I use, and it is definitely worth it. However, if you are deadset on writing, get a notebook. That way it is easier to ensure that you do not lose your notes.
Do you know where I can get OneNote for mac for free or a cheap price?
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012 at 02:04 PM   #17
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Didnt realize how big of an issue binders vs notebooks was here i am sweating over what kind of eraser to buy...
Tipex.
[12/char]
Old 07-16-2012 at 02:41 PM   #18
elaynag

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahar.fz View Post
Thanks!
There is a program that allows students to buy the whole microsoft package for under 100$ online. You need your Mac address though. Its been a few years since I did this, but I htink it is called the "ultimate deal" or something like it. You can download it straight onto your computer.

LifeSciences likes this.
Old 07-16-2012 at 02:43 PM   #19
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

if you are going to live on campus next year, get DC++ and you will be "given" everything you need, including textbook pdfs if you prefer electronic over paper

Ahmed.N says thanks to Atheist? for this post.
Old 07-16-2012 at 03:06 PM   #20
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

i took similar classes in first year, i chose to write down notes in a notebook during lecture, then rewrite the notes onto printed lecture slides, and i put those slides into a binder. i had a 2 inch binder i think.. and i fit 3 courses into that.
second year i got lazy so i just printed the slides and brought them in a folder, then wrote right onto them during lecture, then brought them home and put them in a binder. i never really had to bring any past notes to school so i didnt have to worry about carrying the binders, but if i ever did need to bring notes i would just take them out and bring them in a folder.
you can always just pass on the binders for now, then if you feel you need them you can buy them during the first month. everyone seems to take/organize notes differently so youll have to see what works best for you!

jamiebenyovi likes this.
Old 07-16-2012 at 03:16 PM   #21
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Feel like i just read an autobiography of a professional notetaker in that last post. The only thing missing was the details of how many birds you saw on the walk from class to home
Old 07-16-2012 at 03:20 PM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^i dont even cant
Old 07-16-2012 at 03:23 PM   #23
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Feel like i just read an autobiography of a professional notetaker in that last post. The only thing missing was the details of how many birds you saw on the walk from class to home
lmaooooo im a lazy notetaker now, never professional! i learned all that first crap from the first year summer orientation from joe kim, i guess it works for some people but it didnt end up working for me
Old 07-25-2012 at 01:49 AM   #24
Afsha-noon

Liked: 11 Times

I've bought 4 1-inch notebooks but on campus, I think I'll only carry around folders and my notebooks. Just from what I hear.. it's apparently better (?). But I was curious.. how do you plan on note-taking?! Do most people do it by typing? Or hand-written? I'm so confused there, aha.
Old 07-25-2012 at 03:06 AM   #25
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Again preference. I know people who write everything on a tablet. Some people type. Some people just hand right. Whatever you like.
Old 07-25-2012 at 07:05 AM   #26
Chris23
Account Locked

It really doesnt matter when most classes have lecture slides online!
Old 07-26-2012 at 10:19 AM   #27
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Don't buy tons of binders, its pretty pointless imo, you shouldn't get too many handouts (if any) and usually slides are available online. Forcing yourself to take many notes is not the best idea, listening is more effective tbh.

Silver likes this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 10:37 AM   #28
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbo View Post
Don't buy tons of binders, its pretty pointless imo, you shouldn't get too many handouts (if any) and usually slides are available online. Forcing yourself to take many notes is not the best idea, listening is more effective tbh.
That may be the case in computer engineering where a lot of classes involve progamming code that is better to just look at and try understanding the algorithms being implimented, but for many other programs, it makes sense to take notes so that you can review and also take down examples from lectures that will later help you in your studies for tests.
Old 07-27-2012 at 01:42 PM   #29
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
That may be the case in computer engineering where a lot of classes involve progamming code that is better to just look at and try understanding the algorithms being implimented, but for many other programs, it makes sense to take notes so that you can review and also take down examples from lectures that will later help you in your studies for tests.
I'm not sure how much you know of soft eng, but we really don't look at that much code during a lecture.. I'm not saying don't take notes, just take few notes. Not everything that is said is worth writing down, if you go to a lecture and fall behind the content being discussed because you write everything being said down you're gonna have a bad time. Sometimes its better to just listen, especially when your program has a textbook for that particular course. Last year I had one notebook for all courses together because I used it sparingly, examples help of course and little things that a professor stresses are important are worth writing down, but generally anything you hear in class you can reread in a textbook or in online notes.
Old 08-23-2012 at 11:36 PM   #30
xxorianna

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahar.fz View Post
Thanks!
you could always torrent it