MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM

bio 1A03 D:

Old 04-11-2011 at 07:33 PM   #1
bruni

Liked: Liked 2 Times

bio 1A03 D:
hey all,
i was wondering if anyone has had dr. wilson before for bio 1A03.
i did great on the first test with dr. kajura, but my mark tanked after dr. wilson's test even though i studied two weeks in advance for it. for those who have taken her exams, are the questions really applied? anything in particular i should watch out for? etc, etc?
thanks for any input!
Old 04-11-2011 at 07:43 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

It's the same as her midterm - vague and badly worded. It's literally her fault I did not get a 12 in the course.

She'll ask you stuff she mentioned for a second in class, assuming, of course, you can understand what she's asking in the first place.

Bio 1A03's material is easy, but she makes is much more difficult than it needs to be. Luckily you have Kajiura to help you out a bit on the exam.

/not a fan of Wilson
Old 04-11-2011 at 07:45 PM   #3
ACameron

From what I can remember, most of Wilson's questions were conceptual-based and taking completely from the textbook. I did pretty decent on her midterm, and what I did was study the diagrams and made note of the captions because a lot of the material would be summarized in one diagram. I found a lot of Kajuira's material applied, moreso than Wilson's.

Old 04-11-2011 at 07:56 PM   #4
bruni

thanks, you two i'm just at a loss of what to do after her midterm is all. guess i'll just have to go in brave-faced and prepared as possible.
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:13 PM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

*having flashback*
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:16 PM   #6
bruni

ohno.
/scared now
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:27 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruni View Post
ohno.
/scared now
lol.. dont be.. the exam wasnt THAT bad.. jsut read the textbook... all of it... well not allof it but whatever chapters she covered... makes a whole lot more sense because she tends to have a fast paced style of lecturing and its easy to miss things that potentially end up on tests
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:28 PM   #8
Frank Ocean

Liked: 28 Times

I remember me and a group of friends collectively walked out crying after this exam.

But good luck.
Old 04-11-2011 at 08:54 PM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Yes, I'm just reading the textbook as preparation. The questions aren't that hard, you just have to be really thorough. -.- I also noticed during the midterm that some of the questions were similar to the ones in her lecture notes (which I conveniently didn't revise).

Her slides are basically a rearrangement of the textbook stuff, though. :/

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT. Chapter 18 isn't being tested?! Woah. Thank goodness I haven't started studying it...gah.

Last edited by Faer : 04-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2011 at 09:01 PM   #10
bruni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ocean View Post
I remember me and a group of friends collectively walked out crying after this exam.

But good luck.
oh my lord.

@faer: no, 18 isn't being tested. that's what i've been told.
i'm pretty much missing her lecture notes which is really bad... i went over the textbook thoroughly though and have been trying to understand her lecture slides. hopefully that'll help me out.
Old 04-12-2011 at 11:10 PM   #11
AnythingReally

Liked: 8 Times

It actually wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. The only questions you'll likely have trouble with are the Short Answers.
Old 04-12-2011 at 11:56 PM   #12
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NubNab View Post
It actually wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. The only questions you'll likely have trouble with are the Short Answers.
Lol dunno when you wrote it but last semester it was all multiple choice
Old 04-13-2011 at 11:13 AM   #13
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

100 MCQs are TOO. FREAKIN'. MUCH! Ugh. I got bored around the half-way mark, goodness knows how I completed the paper. Plus, after that many questions, who has the motivation to actually go review them?

Also, question: "What is the difference between Meiosis II and that of mitosis?"

Tell me I'm not going crazy and that that question IS grammatically ambiguous?!
Old 04-13-2011 at 11:59 AM   #14
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
100 MCQs are TOO. FREAKIN'. MUCH! Ugh. I got bored around the half-way mark, goodness knows how I completed the paper. Plus, after that many questions, who has the motivation to actually go review them?

Also, question: "What is the difference between Meiosis II and that of mitosis?"

Tell me I'm not going crazy and that that question IS grammatically ambiguous?!
lol there is a missing word in that question!
Old 04-13-2011 at 12:09 PM   #15
AnythingReally

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Lol dunno when you wrote it but last semester it was all multiple choice
Whoops haha, I'm thinking about the midterm... I took it a year ago, thanks.

Still I recall finding her tests fair, unlike a lot of other students. Now that I remember, Kajura's portion on the MCQ was extrememly easy, while some of Wilson's last questions were long and required time to think through. Just make sure you allot your time properly for some of the last ones.
I don't wanna be 'that' guy but this is university, you should expect to apply your knowledge rather than just repeat what you learned. I think if you understand a concept rather than just memorize it, you should have no problems with the application process. That should give you an indication on how "hard" the application questions will be.

Good luck, peeps!