MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
LF: Gerontology 1A03 and Environmental Science 1A03 Textbooks TLulu Academics 1 01-07-2010 07:10 PM

Bio 1A03 Help.

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:14 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Bio 1A03 Help.
Well, I've contacted all the administrative staff that I can and figured I'd give this a shot though I understand the responses might be the same (which is why I waited so long).

I'm a level one Commerce student and I don't find that my faculty and I are a good fit.
I've always taken the science courses in high school and I really loved them. I considered Commerce because of the option of graduating and finding employment to pay off my student debts and save up for graduate options etc.

I'm considering giving the Health Science application a shot because I'll never know unless I try. I need Bio 1A03 for this.
The course is full. I can't request a seat or permission to get into the course because I am not in Level II, and am not in a Science faculty in Level I.

I was offered the options of taking it in summer school or at a different campus.
My summer campus options are Mac and UTM; I recently learned that UTM does offer 4 month courses and has started stretching some courses out over 4 months which...eats into my summer entirely - there's no mental break from academics and I'd like to avoid this if I could.
( I know that some people can do it but I need rest. )

Another option is Mac and with the GO Bus passes I'll need for 2 summer months, this is much more expensive option though a preferable one as it is shorter and I get consistency in the material I'm being exposed to.

I would really like to be able to take this course in the winter session and I've contacted the Bio department and the Science faculty which referred me to the Bio department and then the Health Science faculty which referred me to the possibility of summer school or doing the course at UTM and doing 4 courses at Mac.

Are there any other options?
Would contacting the professor help me in any way or should I just accept that these are all the possibilities I have?
Please and several thank you's.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:19 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You could always transfer into life sciences because that way they'll have to open up a seat for you.

Then again, it might blow your chances of getting back into commerce if you can't get into health sci/don't want to stay in life sciences/biology.
Old 10-29-2009 at 10:19 PM   #3
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Nooo...you can't leave commerce! :p lol

I'm pretty sure if you do the course at UTM, it'll show up on your transcript as just PASS (which I think Mac assumes it as a 60%). If you do it at Mac, you're actual mark will be recorded on the transcript. So it might be to your advantage to do the course at Mac. I'm not too sure, so if I'm wrong, someone correct me.
Old 10-29-2009 at 10:22 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I contacted the Faculty asking whether I could do that.
I understand I won't be in the Commerce faculty but that's fine with me.
I might consider Economics and manipulate my schedule a bit to get that done.
I have 5 of the 10 course requirements needed to be a life science student and I need to be enrolled in 3 more courses to have the load of a Life Science student.
I'm not sure if they can grant that request now, given that it is so late but all my first term courses meet the requirement so I suppose I'll just cross my fingers.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:25 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Nooo...you can't leave commerce! :p lol

I'm pretty sure if you do the course at UTM, it'll show up on your transcript as just PASS (which I think Mac assumes it as a 60%). If you do it at Mac, you're actual mark will be recorded on the transcript. So it might be to your advantage to do the course at Mac. I'm not too sure, so if I'm wrong, someone correct me.
Nope that's right
It's only a "Pass" and if I want the mark to count toward graduate study, I simply request a transcript from UTM.

I feel that I don't really fit the Commerce faculty. I don't find myself engaged in the subject material and the most fascinating thing to me was the discussion of Web 2.0...which ironically was presented by an anthropologist which leads me to think that some combination of Economics and Science (which I'm being told by department members is impossible...departme nts not including Economics that says it is, because of course...no degree related concern for any university student ever can ever be simple or the universe will collapse into itself) would be ideal for me because it is a Social Science and the sciences that I really do think I'm addicted to.

My favourite part is saying "I'm in Commerce" and watching jaws drop.
Happens every time.
I love it.
Then they go "WHY?!" and deafen me but it's worth it all the way

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:28 PM   #6
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Yeah I understand. A lot of people change their minds on what they want to do.

If you transferred into Life/Health Sci, couldn't you minor in Economics? Is that possible?
Old 10-29-2009 at 10:33 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Yeah I understand. A lot of people change their minds on what they want to do.

If you transferred into Life/Health Sci, couldn't you minor in Economics? Is that possible?
I believe it would be.
I suppose even if in L.S., I could simply replace Physics with one of two Economics as the other one can be concerned an elective, and then declare my major as Economics at the end of the term and still have Bio 1A03 for H.S. applications.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:36 PM   #8
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

You're leaving Commerce?!?!

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:44 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
You're leaving Commerce?!?!
If it works out. Which is ironic because I meet so many people who want to be in it and I think "I'll trade my Commerce for your Science."

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-29-2009 at 10:57 PM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I remember suggesting you to switch your faculty in one of your earlier posts, lol
Old 10-29-2009 at 11:17 PM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I remember suggesting you to switch your faculty in one of your earlier posts, lol
I appreciate that
I think it was just something I had to experience though.
There are aspects of business that I really love and I've realised that those will never change. However, I needed to determine whether those areas overlapped with what I would be studying

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-29-2009 at 11:58 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

One option for taking the course is to take it online, from a school like U of T. No travel costs, great flexibility and lecture scheduling, and the ability to take it during the winter would seem to make it a great fit for you. I'm doing Anatomy and Physiology this way, and I love it. I really wish I could do all my courses like this.

I assume you are taking Psych 1X03 now, if you are finding that you like that sort of course style, I would definitely recommend it.