MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-10-2011 at 02:09 PM   #1
Hongmon

Liked: 0 Times

Bio 1A03 Help
Hi im a first year student and im just wondering if the textbook is a must need in this course. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-10-2011 at 02:10 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongmon View Post
Hi im a first year student and im just wondering if the textbook is a must need in this course. Thanks a bunch!
I didn't use it.
Old 09-10-2011 at 02:16 PM   #3
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

check your PM!
Old 09-10-2011 at 02:20 PM   #4
kimjpig

I have took that course last year and if you are able to get some questions on calculus, you don't need to have the whole thick book.
The only part used in the textbook is mainly the practice questions so that you can practice your skills. Concepts are all explained in the lectures.
So I recommend you to just borrow a book and copy those practice question parts!!
That's way better and cheaper!! :-D I wasn't that good at calculus but I was okay with that and I got an A in that course so don't worry!!

Regards-
Old 09-10-2011 at 02:47 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjpig View Post
I have took that course last year and if you are able to get some questions on calculus, you don't need to have the whole thick book.
The only part used in the textbook is mainly the practice questions so that you can practice your skills. Concepts are all explained in the lectures.
So I recommend you to just borrow a book and copy those practice question parts!!
That's way better and cheaper!! :-D I wasn't that good at calculus but I was okay with that and I got an A in that course so don't worry!!

Regards-
I think you're referring to a different course, OP's talking about Bio 1A03.

To OP: IMO it depends on the prof you have. I had Kajuira and Boreham. With Kajiura, you don't really need the textbook because she'll give you skeleton notes from the textbook and talk about them during lecture. With Boreham I found I needed to use the textbook because he would test on material in the text.
Old 09-10-2011 at 02:48 PM   #6
felicia1

I used it a few times but not enough to justify buying it.
Old 09-12-2011 at 07:02 AM   #7
miatomasi

Liked: 15 Times

Hey!
I used this textbook pretty much the ENTIRE term as the course follows the text almost word for word. I found it very helpful when the prof didn't go into detail about something that required detail to understand. I pretty much studied for both midterms and the exam directly from the textbook, using the lecture notes as a guideline. I really recommend this book if you're going to take the course, but keep In mind everyone has different study habits. I'm a big textbook user, if you're not, try going to the BIO 1A03 course reserve in those library and take a look through it. It can help you decide whether you need it or not
Old 09-12-2011 at 09:03 AM   #8
ConfusedTaco

Liked: 1 Time

My suggestion is to look right here on Mac Insiders for a used copy of the Bio 1A03 textbooks. Used books on here are typically much cheaper than found in Titles and are usually in very good condition. I did not use the book too much when I had the course but it can be useful for studying purposes.
Old 09-12-2011 at 03:19 PM   #9
muff

the textbook was pretty useful. same with 1m03

Last edited by jhan523 : 09-12-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Advertising
Old 09-12-2011 at 03:48 PM   #10
kipa

i found the textbook very useful when i was in first year.
Old 09-12-2011 at 05:30 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

It depends heavily on how strong you are in Bio. Being in 1st year you could have come from either a totally crappy or really good school and be either strong or weak in bio. I came from the latter (IB actually) and still used it, just because I wanted to know everything she could ask. I found it help, but was not essential to do well.