MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks for 1st year life sci classess?? (1A03 and 1M03) jubilantx Academics 18 07-05-2009 11:51 PM

Bio 1M03 Textbooks

Old 09-02-2009 at 09:37 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Bio 1M03 Textbooks
Optional Materials: FREEMAN - STUDY GUIDE TO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE FREEMAN - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL #2)(TEXTBOOK ONLY) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
Do we need any of these for the course?
For Bio 1A03, there appears to be some repetition:

Required Materials: BFWPUB - I>CLICKER FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1)( WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)

Optional Materials: FREEMAN - STUDY GUIDE TO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE FREEMAN - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL #1)(TEXTBOOK ONLY) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
What are the differences between the materials listed?
Are some of them the same things?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-02-2009 at 09:39 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Optional Materials: FREEMAN - STUDY GUIDE TO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE FREEMAN - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL #2)(TEXTBOOK ONLY) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
Do we need any of these for the course?
For Bio 1A03, there appears to be some repetition:

Required Materials: BFWPUB - I>CLICKER FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1)( WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)

Optional Materials: FREEMAN - STUDY GUIDE TO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE FREEMAN - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL #1)(TEXTBOOK ONLY) FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
If you have both courses, just buy the Vol 1+2 and Short Guide to Writing pack. The Short Guide to Writing is pretty useful if you don't know how to write a proper formal lab report.

goodnews.inc says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-02-2009 at 09:48 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I just have Biology 1M03 and I'm contemplating Bio 1A03.

If I buy Bio. Sci (1) and Bio Sci. (2) seperately is that equivalent to Bio Sci (1 + 2)?
And thanks Jeremy

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-02-2009 at 10:31 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I just have Biology 1M03 and I'm contemplating Bio 1A03.

If I buy Bio. Sci (1) and Bio Sci. (2) seperately is that equivalent to Bio Sci (1 + 2)?
And thanks Jeremy
It's 140 in total separately compared to 145ish together but you don't get the short guide to writing.

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:12 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Just "How Humans Evolved" would be fine for Bio 1M03?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:16 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I used Bol. Sci. for that course last year. I find that book to be very easy to read so it's really good to study from. It's up to you though.

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:18 PM   #7
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:

If it is optional material, you probably won’t need it for the course. The professor will very rarely, if at all, discuss information found in the optional materials. If s/he does refer to the information found in the optional materials, s/he will most likely not focus any tests/exams on the information. For Bio 1M03, the only required materials are the iClicker and How Humans Evolved. If you are not taking Bio 1AA3, I would not recommend buying the Vol 1+2 and Short Guide to Writing pack.

goodnews.inc says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 09-02-2009 at 11:19 PM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Yes I think so. Some people found the textbook for 1M03 to be useful but we always got full notes from Dr. Dushoff/Kajiura and the concepts are pretty intuitive or you remember it from highschool (even if you only spent a week on it).

goodnews.inc says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 09-02-2009 at 11:21 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
If it is optional material, you probably won’t need it for the course. The professor will very rarely, if at all, discuss information found in the optional materials. If s/he does refer to the information found in the optional materials, s/he will most likely not focus any tests/exams on the information. For Bio 1M03, the only required materials are the iClicker and How Humans Evolved. If you are not taking Bio 1AA3, I would not recommend buying the Vol 1+2 and Short Guide to Writing pack.
You probably mean Bio 1A03. I always make that mistake too XD

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:26 PM   #10
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:

The difference between volume 1 and volume 2 of Biological Science is that they cover different topics/units. If volume 2 is not required for either course, I definitely would not buy it. The Biological Science (VOL # 1&2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING) is $145 whereas the Biological Science (VOL # 1)( WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING) is $75. I would recommend saving your money. If it is not required, volume 2 of Biological Science will just collect dust sitting in your room(unless you decide to read it for fun).

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:27 PM   #11
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You probably mean Bio 1A03. I always make that mistake too XD
Oops! I did mean Bio 1A03. Thanks for the correction

Old 09-02-2009 at 11:29 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I would recommend saving your money. If it is not required, volume 2 of Biological Science will just collect dust sitting in your room(unless you decide to read it for fun).
You can use it for supplementary learning like I did.

Old 09-03-2009 at 01:03 AM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

speaking of bio 1m03... did anyone meet any creationists in this course? i met one that complained about evolution concepts and ended up dropping the course cause it was not a requirement for their 2nd year programs of interest... then mcmaster snapped back and changed the requirements such that it was mandatory. lol
Old 09-03-2009 at 01:56 AM   #14
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
speaking of bio 1m03... did anyone meet any creationists in this course? i met one that complained about evolution concepts and ended up dropping the course cause it was not a requirement for their 2nd year programs of interest... then mcmaster snapped back and changed the requirements such that it was mandatory. lol
Wow! I would be really upset if I was that person. One of my lab mates didn’t agree with the whole evolution concept, but she did not do anything extreme. I am actually surprised that the person you knew dropped the course....I think learning about different opinions and beliefs (regardless of how incorrect you believe they are) is extremely important. Learning different things broadens your horizons and makes you more aware of what is happening around the world. Personally, I would never drop a course because I do not agree with the theories that are being taught. But, to each their own, right?
Old 09-05-2009 at 07:56 PM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Bio 1M03 now has Vol 2 (with a short guide to writing) as a required material...

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences