MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is 10+ doable in Bio 2C03 and Bio 2B03? cmkc109 Academics 6 01-21-2013 02:59 PM
Bio 2B03 and Bio 2C03 jjae0958 Academics 2 01-09-2011 04:51 PM
Should I take Bio 2b03 or 2c03? SandraM Academics 5 09-16-2010 03:59 PM
BIO 2A03, 2B03, 2C03... what were they like?? dacrown4life Academics 57 08-25-2009 04:40 PM

Bio 2B03 and Bio 2C03

Old 12-27-2013 at 02:55 PM   #1
reeree

Liked: 0 Times

Bio 2B03 and Bio 2C03
Hi, I was wondering how Bio 2C03 and Bio 2B03 compare in terms of their workload and difficulty. Also, since the profs are different this year for 2c03 could anyone who took it last semester comment on how they were? I have both courses next semester and I was unsure if I should take one of them at a different time rather than together. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2013 at 04:03 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

taking them at the same time shouldnt be a problem. 2b03 is nice because the tests are non cumulative and if you study then you should do well. 2c03 can have tough tests and you really need to understand the stuff instead of just memorizing it imo. lots of ppl do very well in both courses tho. what else do you have next term?

reeree says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 12-27-2013 at 07:36 PM   #3
snaval

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeree View Post
Hi, I was wondering how Bio 2C03 and Bio 2B03 compare in terms of their workload and difficulty. Also, since the profs are different this year for 2c03 could anyone who took it last semester comment on how they were? I have both courses next semester and I was unsure if I should take one of them at a different time rather than together. Thank you!
The profs last year for Bio 2C03 were really good. I took Bio 2C03 last term with Gupta & Robbins, and the notes they supply with you are enough to do well in the course. Robbins explains things really clear, but most of what she says is already on her slides. Gupta was a little disorganized and hard to understand, he was never really coherent in what he was saying, but he is really intelligent.

Genetics is more understanding and not memorization heavy like typical bio courses. Don't underestimate the course though, because after the fourth week, it gets much harder. It always seems like you can go through the midterm and exam with 3 days of studying because there isn't a lot of information in the slides like other typical bio courses, but you do get tested on big details when the test or exam comes that tests your understanding of the material. Make sure you understand what you are reading in your notes, because sometimes I would think I understood something, then when the test or exam came, I didn't know it. If you put a decent amount of effort in the course, you should be able to get at least a 10.

And for Genetics, there were two assignments which were really time-consuming if you want a really good mark on them, and the mark you get on them really depends on the TA you have. In my opinion, the genetic assignments were worse than writing essays, only because some questions will be really ambiguous asking you to describe something by using research, and then they'll be like "Well, why didn't you include X" and you're like "Well I didn't know I had to, it was no where in the question". I was really fed up with TA marking in the course.

I would think Bio 2B03 would require maybe even more time because there is a lot more content in Bio 2B03 that you need to know compared to Bio 2C03 (which is more about understanding the content and being able to apply it). Bio 2B03 is a lot of information from what I've heard, but if you keep up, it should be okay.

I would think having Bio 2B03 and Bio 2C03 in the same semester might be tough, but it also depends what other courses you have. Most students would separate them because you will need to dedicate a chunk of time to each of them.

Good luck!

reeree says thanks to snaval for this post.
Old 12-28-2013 at 03:05 PM   #4
reeree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
taking them at the same time shouldnt be a problem. 2b03 is nice because the tests are non cumulative and if you study then you should do well. 2c03 can have tough tests and you really need to understand the stuff instead of just memorizing it imo. lots of ppl do very well in both courses tho. what else do you have next term?
Im also taking biochem 2EE3, life sci 2C03 and stats 2B03.
Old 12-29-2013 at 01:07 AM   #5
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

stats 2b03 is easy as long as you keep up so that's good, and biochem is straight memorization (for the most part)... life sci 2c03 has a new prof this year so can't comment on difficulty but I think it's doable to have both bio courses in the same term, as long as you keep up!

good luck!

reeree says thanks to celtics_fan for this post.