Life sci 2d03 vs. 2f03 macbaby07 Academics 1 06-15-2010 07:04 PM
LIFE SCI 2F03 Vs. LIFE SCI 2D03 snair Academics 8 05-30-2010 06:39 PM
bio 2d03 or bio 2f03 yum24 Academics 6 08-15-2009 03:07 PM

Bio 2F03-Life Sci 2D03

Old 06-08-2012 at 03:58 PM   #1
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

Bio 2F03-Life Sci 2D03
Hello. I'm just wondering weather Bio 2F03 is easier than Life Sci 2D03 (the 50% exam is scaring me). Next year, Dr. Kolasa is teaching Bio 2F03, any comments on this professor?

Also do you guys know anything about Earth Sci 2WW3 with Bernier

(I have read the course reviews for all of them)

Last edited by Kajeevan : 06-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2012 at 04:06 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajeevan View Post
Hello. I'm just wondering weather Bio 2F03 is easier than Life Sci 2D03 (the 50% exam is scaring me). Next year, Dr. Kolasa is teaching Bio 2F03, any comments on this professor?

Also do you guys know anything about Earth Sci 2WW3 with Bernier

(I have read the course outlines for all of them)
Dr Kolasa hasn't taught the course in the past couple of years, so there won't be too much info available regarding that. I have heard however that a lot of people who took Bio 1M03 with him 3 years ago really liked his lectures, same thing with Dr. Bernier.

EDIT: Nvm! Totally mixed up Dushoff and Kolasa for some reason. Kolasa was the one that people didn't like. Sorry for the confusion!

Check out ratemyprofessors.com

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 06-08-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Kajeevan says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-08-2012 at 04:15 PM   #3
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I haven't taken both but I have taken Life Sci 2D03 and it was a great class. I can't compare their easiness levels but I can tell you that Life Sci 2D03 is a night class and usually Dr. beston would end earlier than 10 (like 9) so it will free up your schedule, especially considering Bio 2F03 has a lab. Don't be intimidated by the 50% final. For a lot of upper year courses the exams are worth a lot so it's something you will have to get used to! The material in 2D03 is really interesting and easy to comprehend, that being said the tests are not easy but if you study well you will do well! Also the class doesn't really have a lot of readings, everything you will need to study will be in the class notes. Textbook will be helpful in some cases if you are having trouble with some concepts. Also Dr. Beston shows awesome animal clips. Honestly I didn't dread this night class, and that's saying something!

Kajeevan says thanks to lt93 for this post.
Old 06-08-2012 at 04:17 PM   #4
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

personally found ecology to be easier/more interesting then animal behavior.
go with what interests you.
the good thing about 2f03 is that the tutorial participation/group projects are mark boosters.

for animal behaviour, all that made up your mark was 2 midterms and an exam (if you prefer that sort of thing).

personally i perform worse when there are fewer assessments. ecology gives you more opportunity for marks. Plus you go on a hike in Cootes Paradise! The assign for this was pretty fun/easy, just jot down the name of 10 plant and animals you encountered on the trip!

Kajeevan says thanks to BlueWave for this post.
Old 06-08-2012 at 06:16 PM   #5
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

I had Kolosa for Bio 1M03 in my first year. He was very dry and not that many people came to his lectures.

However, the material in Bio 2F03 is pretty straight forward anyway, so I doubt him teaching it would make much of a difference. There are a bunch of guest lecturers as well, so make sure to go to those classes at least.
Old 06-08-2012 at 06:43 PM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Life Sci 2D03 is a great course. Beston is a pro - it's like almost impossible not to like him. The only downside is his tests can be a bit tricky and his marking is rather specific, especially for short answers. That being said, I found the course much easier than Bio 2F03 because it was interesting, and thus easy to study for.
Old 06-08-2012 at 07:13 PM   #7
kousharee

Liked: 0 Times

I also loved 2D03 and 3C03 (the continuation) which I took with Beston. He's a good prof, and he always ends night class early. He also uses lots of media clips, and relevant research to make things more interesting. I really enjoyed his classes.

I took 2F03 in the summer with a different teacher but I took 3DD3 with Kolasa this past year, and I really disliked it. He's a nice guy but an awful prof in my opinion. The content is dry enough and he does not do a good job at making it interesting. I found his style to be very disorganized and his explanations for topics were not very clear.

I would definitely recommend 2D03 over 2F03. The content of 2F03 is easier, but it is very boring, and Kolasa was awful in my opinion. Beston is much much better.
Old 06-08-2012 at 08:50 PM   #8
Juliann

Liked: 3 Times

The only person ecology is worth taking with is chow-fraser. She made the course fun and exciting and of course what everyone wants to know..easy.

I heard Kolasa is a real... you know what. If you can avoid it, avoid it. Just don't replace it with bio 2ee3.. then you have another problem..