MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-23-2011 at 11:38 AM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

bio 2lo3
hey i was just wandering if anyone has taken this course, and what they tought of it, i looked under reviews but couldnt find it there, so any info about it would be useful

also does anyone know or recommend a good bio/life sci level 2 course to take during summer school? and can you tell me a bit about it ie. how difficult is it and how the profs are

thanks a bunch
Old 03-23-2011 at 11:40 AM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

i didn't take it myself but my friend did and she was very stressed out by it. However, there is this cool open heart surgery lab on a frog
Old 03-23-2011 at 01:29 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I loved this course. I <3 Dr. Jacobs. I think the TAs might be handling it this year, but they were also excellent.

Is it Experimental Design in Bio? I'm asking because I would never expect it to be offered in summer

Last edited by britb : 03-23-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2011 at 09:10 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

how are you evaluated?/how is the course load.. im probably gonna take this next school year, jus want to know what to expect
Old 03-23-2011 at 09:45 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I loved this course. I <3 Dr. Jacobs. I think the TAs might be handling it this year, but they were also excellent.

Is it Experimental Design in Bio? I'm asking because I would never expect it to be offered in summer
Yep. It's "Experimental design in Biology." It's not. Only Bio 2B03, 2B03 and 2F03 are offered in the summer. I think the OP was asking about 2L03 for next year and a separate question about summer courses.
Old 03-23-2011 at 10:00 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Outline's here

I found it average in terms of difficulty, though it definitely had a heavier workload than some of my other courses due to the labs happening every week and you needed to put serious effort into it. If you want something easy, don't take this. However, the exam was take home to make up for it.

I felt like I came out of the course with some badass skills, unlike some other ones I took in the year. It's made me consider research. This course is kinda like Bio major's answer to Life Sci mandatory 2A03, except waaaaay more awesome and useful (I haven't taken the latter, but most of my friends are in life sci).

I'd recommend this to anyone considering a thesis, which was primarily why i took it (plus it counts on the physio course list)

Jacobs was awesome, because he actually cared about this course (unlike when he did 1st year bio) and really wanted to teach us something - after all, this is a research course, this is what he's actually at the university to do, not teach undergrads. He'll tell you what you are doing wrong and won't needlessly compliment you. Actually, in the final lab he said something about how much we'd learned and impressed him through the term and how we'd be able to handle the lab no problem (it was a long and tedious one, wiht a big assignment tacked on the end of it), and I wanted to cry, lol.
I see him as a scientist, as opposed to just a prof because of this course. He's the only prof I see this way, and I have some serious respect for him (would totally ask him to supervise, but he's a genetics guy...still might try anyway, lol).

The class was small, something like 32-40 people, and lab-based. Probably my fav course in university so far, and I tend to dislike labs (they stress me out too much).

I'm considering maybe take life sci 2a03 (if Dej does it) as an elective, I think this course might give me a serious advantage, though I haven't checked it out yet.

/lol @ gushing

----
As for the OP's summer school Q, bio 2c03, 2b03 and 2f03 tend to be easy, but it depends on the prof. I'd say try to take something that will count towards your degree, or a spec you are considering.

----

Now, hit those like and thank buttons. Lurkers too.

Last edited by britb : 03-23-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Chevalier says thanks to britb for this post.

Chevalier, giftedchick like this.
Old 03-23-2011 at 10:11 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

thanks.
im considering research in the future so looks like this is the way to go
Old 03-24-2011 at 08:33 AM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

thanks brit that was useful, btw i see ur in physio specialization, i had some questions on another thred http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...4#p ost228744 can you check it out and see if you can answer any.

it would be really appreciated, haha im so confused as to what i want to do in the future ><

thanks

edit: btw research is something im considering and 2lo3 sounds fun i think ill take it next year thx :p
Old 03-24-2011 at 11:03 AM   #9
golden

Liked: 0 Times

i took this class last semester as well. As mentioned the work load was definitely much higher as there was a lab each weak and some sort of additional assignment dues the week after, such as a protocol design, a letter to nature etc..

- I loved most of the lab topics, and Dr. Jacobs and my lab TA seemed genuinely interested and willing to help.
- some of the assignment were more difficult though and i know the class average was low but i think overall at the end most people that put in effort do ok